Automatic Reversing Unit.

D

Deleted member 3553

BLOCKsignalling
12 Ennerdale Close
CV32 6NW Leamington Spa..................hit the wrong button......

trammayo

Interested in vintage commercial vehicle, trams, t
24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
BLOCKsignalling
12 Ennerdale Close
CV32 6NW Leamington Spa..................hit the wrong button......

I bookmarked it from your previous post - looks a really useful product (the one with built in speed control).
I might find it very useful for and idea I've got for a winter project!

John Steer

Registered
23 Nov 2016
Warminster
Best answers
HI guys. Don't forget that the LGB Jumbo with Track sensors will give you a 10 Amp shuttle with multiple station stops, Dave Buckingham's exhibition display used this arrangement as standard. This will also give you a soft start & slow down.
My Jumbo has resided in the garden for over three years, powered up but set to zero output when not in use, under a suitable plastic box with a brick holding it secure. All the correct electrical safety devises are in place in the mains supply.

I'll make the tea...You bring the sticky buns. "Buns" I said.

My aim has not been compromised.
DSC00001.JPG

Reactions: 1 user

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
That's a very short shuttle track!
;):p:rofl::rofl::rofl:

John Steer

Registered
23 Nov 2016
Warminster
Best answers
Ha-Ha, Got your attention though.
My other 1,000 foot is in the garden.

I'll make the tea... you bring the sticky buns.

Track inspection.
DSC00129.JPG

Reactions: 1 users

trammayo

Interested in vintage commercial vehicle, trams, t
24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
HI guys. Don't forget that the LGB Jumbo with Track sensors will give you a 10 Amp shuttle with multiple station stops, Dave Buckingham's exhibition display used this arrangement as standard. This will also give you a soft start & slow down.
My Jumbo has resided in the garden for over three years, powered up but set to zero output when not in use, under a suitable plastic box with a brick holding it secure. All the correct electrical safety devises are in place in the mains supply.

I'll make the tea...You bring the sticky buns. "Buns" I said.

My aim has not been compromised.
View attachment 220159

A loo with a view!

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Standing room only!

Reactions: 1 user

Dan

Registered
28 Jan 2010
Eastern MA, USA
Best answers
Country flag
For controlling the start and stop of my locos, I added a second section of track with one rail isolated at each end of my shuttle and used a 4 ohm 3 watt resistor to feed a pierce of track before the diode section. Makes a big difference in stops and starts. So it goes like this: end of track, diode, resistor, mainline, resistor, diode, end of track. it is not perfect but it is inexpensive and does the job.

jack s

Registered
29 Apr 2016
nyc
Best answers
check out rr concepts.com an array of easy to use programable reversing units and reasonably priced

landymad

Registered
28 Jan 2021
Bradford
Best answers
Country flag
Can't say anything about DCC I am afraid, but I have lots of experience using LGB, Playmobil and custom made analogue shuttle units, the latter have been in the garden now for around four years.

I keep mine in plastic tubs in my garden. These keep the water out but allows the units to breathe. The 'Really Useful Boxes' are perfect as the wires can also go out through the 'breathe' space. Cold, heat, rain etc have never been an issue.

That Massoth unit and many others rely on the train running over the diode to stop drawing power before the timer kicks in. That means that the run can be of any length you like without worrying about the train taking too long.

A chum made me some great units based on this principle. One shuttle line crosses the main line and sometimes the shuttle train has to wait at the signal controlling the junction. This would normally activate the timer, but I have rigged up 'holding load' in the form of a simple bulb that the shuttle train activates before it reaches the crossing and switches it off after it has passed! That means that the shuttle train can wait as long as necessary at the crossing without the timer kicking in!

The only downside to any of these units is that you must never run anything else that picks up from the track, except the loco course!

The Playmobil ones were widely available at one time and still turn up on e-bay. Sometimes quite cheaply. They are not as good as the LGB ones, or I imagine the Massoth unit. For example they lack dwell adjustment, but were widely used in shop window displays throughout the track powered Playmobil era, so they are quite robust. I have never used those outside except on temporary layouts.

James
Hello James, I’ve just acquired a playmobil shuttle unit. Unfortunately there seems to be a couple of components that have been removed from the circuit board, is there any chance you would be able to photograph both sides of your board please.
I’ve been scouring the internet for weeks trying to find info on these units.
Cheers

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Best answers
Country flag
Hello Gordon, yes it’s Adam that messaged you through YouTube yesterday.
My shuttle unit is the one covered by a piece of card.
I believe that there are a couple of components missing as there are signs of solder over empty holes on the board.
I will get a picture of the reverse tonight but here is the top side View attachment 322018
Hi Adam, apologies for the name confusion, although I did get the right area of the alphabet, which is good for me! Look forward to seeing the other side. Have you tried operating it, btw?

landymad

Registered
28 Jan 2021
Bradford
Best answers
Country flag
I have managed to get hold of these pictures from someone on Facebook. I’ve cross referenced the component side and there doesn’t seem to be anything missing from mine.
Now to test this properly would I need the diode setup where they are soldered across breaks in the track? Or should it let electricity through as normal?