beavercreek

Travel, Art, Theatre, Music, Photography, Trains
24 Oct 2009
Colchester, United Kingdom
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
  1. Many thanks for the wealth of info'.
  2. I hope I am not reading this wrong but it does appear that mixing analogue with DCC locos on the same track, not at the same time, is a no go. Am I correct?
  3. The locos BTW are 2 analogue Ballenbergs and the little DCC FO box electric.
  4. (I have no idea why numbers have appeared on the left of the post.) :-0

This is not for shuttling.
2. If you are using DC power you can mix DC and DCC locos as the DCC decoders are usually set to allow DC (analogue) usage (if they are not set for analogue use it is a simple matter to reset the CV)
On a DCC powered track, it is feasible to have a DCC loco and a DC one provided the DC one has a can-type motor. To operate the two locos at the same time, you would also need to have two controllers or a controller that could cover two locos at the same time (like the Massoth navigator).
The DC loco on DCC power would be used at address '0'.
Using DC locos on a DCC system does make the motors 'sing' a bot and there has been ,any discussions about whether it harms the DC motor.
I have had analogue locos on my layout whilst DCC power has been selected and they seem to have come through fine....but of course that only is my experience.

On a shuttle you have one loco and a DC shuttle can control a DC or a DCC loco.
The DCC shuttle can only control a DCC loco.

Last edited:

trammayo

Interested in vintage commercial vehicle, trams, t
24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
http://www.blocksignalling.co.uk/index.php BLOCKsignalling manufactures low-cost control systems for model rail enthusiasts.....Hi James...found site while browsing for info in general and thought some of their goods worth investigating......Regards Mal R.

That's an interesting site - I've bookmarked it. Like their shuttle unit!

D

Deleted member 3553

Yes I thought it was pretty interesting ......a bit on the heavy side for me.....I ordered a basic reversing unit, the eyes and fingers work a bit slower than the brain these days .....easier and quicker although I have all the parts and circuits........I had an immediate acknowledgement and confirmation of order and item shipped within 24 hours........probably arrive snail mail but the company seems to be on the ball....first day of rain here for some weeks now, I have been doing a couple of very small circuits to flash buffer lights for in-coming traffic.....managed to eventually get one fitted and working with the help of a Grand-daughter's cat.. Regards, Mal R.

trammayo

24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
Yes I thought it was pretty interesting ......a bit on the heavy side for me.....I ordered a basic reversing unit, the eyes and fingers work a bit slower than the brain these days .....easier and quicker although I have all the parts and circuits........I had an immediate acknowledgement and confirmation of order and item shipped within 24 hours........probably arrive snail mail but the company seems to be on the ball....first day of rain here for some weeks now, I have been doing a couple of very small circuits to flash buffer lights for in-coming traffic.....managed to eventually get one fitted and working with the help of a Grand-daughter's cat.. Regards, Mal R.

You'll have tp post how you get on with it - and how you did it (in simple terms). If I can't put it in the vice and bash it, saw it, or weld it, I'm clueless when it comes to electronics!

D

Deleted member 3553

Strange you should mention your technique ......took a pair of tin-snips to a circuit today myself....it will give no more trouble.....the reason I bought from above is to get the waiting times at both ends of a railcar line which is running manually with a reversing switch and if it works OK will adapt a second one to operate Rigi cable car set up which runs on the same type of controller....
Going by your Avatar name if you are into trams I have a small 00 layout running 3 Trams....2 are Brill I think and a smaller one I treasure , it has been on several layouts over the years since the early 80's ....still runs well ....its a mock up of an early Auckland NZ tram.......Mal R.

Attachments

• Pic_0123_197.jpg
    Pic_0123_197.jpg
    121.6 KB · Views: 0
Reactions: 1 user

Chris Wright

Rev-Up
7 Jun 2016
Cumbria, penrith
Best answers
I have the ICE 3 set with extra coaches is 9 feet long and has drive at both ends now. Would I be right in thinking due to the drive at both ends that once the front drive car passes over the contacts it shuts down before the rear drive car can enter the controlled part of the track?

James Day

Guano Corner Rly - Runs weekly - Guano permitting
6 May 2012
Warwickshire
Best answers
Country flag
I have the ICE 3 set with extra coaches is 9 feet long and has drive at both ends now. Would I be right in thinking due to the drive at both ends that once the front drive car passes over the contacts it shuts down before the rear drive car can enter the controlled part of the track?

Chris,

if you are DC then yes it probably would.

I tend to link parts of multipowerd locos/units together with an umbilical to make them act as one unit electrically.

Because my ICE is electrically longer than my stop sections, I have wired the rear motor bogie to drive only and added extra pick ups to the front motor car. This means that it can be used on shuttles and on my block signalled main line.

If you are DCC then I have no idea at all. Better ask a grown up!

James

jack s

Registered
29 Apr 2016
nyc
Best answers
Check RR concepts I have been using that reeverser for years

trammayo

24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
Strange you should mention your technique ......took a pair of tin-snips to a circuit today myself....it will give no more trouble.....the reason I bought from above is to get the waiting times at both ends of a railcar line which is running manually with a reversing switch and if it works OK will adapt a second one to operate Rigi cable car set up which runs on the same type of controller....
Going by your Avatar name if you are into trams I have a small 00 layout running 3 Trams....2 are Brill I think and a smaller one I treasure , it has been on several layouts over the years since the early 80's ....still runs well ....its a mock up of an early Auckland NZ tram.......Mal R.

Trams - yes. Trouble is, my garden line was going to be a tramway - started by scratchbuilding, then bought a couple of Bachman trams. THEN - got hooked on US Steam! I modelled in O gauge (all scratchbuilt), then OO, then N. Was going to try ON30 (bought a Bachmann 'Hershey's Chocolate Town' car - never did get around to repainting - or running it!). Thank goodness for G Scale!

I like the glimpse of your OO layout. I'm still tempted with N gauge and started making card model houses via my PC and printer. Not enough hours in the day I'm afraid!

James Day

Guano Corner Rly - Runs weekly - Guano permitting
6 May 2012
Warwickshire
Best answers
Country flag
Mick,

Maybe I am just getting old, but these days when I exhibit or work on my H0 models I am finding them to be 'small', sometimes to the point of being annoying and difficult . How you can work on N Gauge beats me.

I dof my cap to you sir! And to everyone engaged in running N, Z or T!

James

D

Deleted member 3553

Eyes are the big problem .....I have 2 x 00 layouts needing attention but too busy with the G construction.....took a break a couple of days ago and popped into my music room for a change of pace.....put up a sheet of music on the organ and tried to play ............I can't believe I sat there for 5 minutes trying to fathom out the dots before I realised it was UPSIDE_DOWN..........and that's not a Ripley............I think we slow down a bit in the 85th year !!!!!
Good night all and Happy Railroading................................................

D

Deleted member 3553

Hi Trammayo , not exactly Reversing units but this is where I'll be trying the Block Shuttle when it arrives...Thought it might tempt you further to 'catch a tram'............

Attachments

• Pic_0127_204.jpg
    Pic_0127_204.jpg
    149.1 KB · Views: 0
  • Pic_0127_208.jpg
    Pic_0127_208.jpg
    169.5 KB · Views: 0

trammayo

24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
Get thee behind me satan! I must resist temptation!

Stop it - no don't stop - I like the pics of your layout! The blue buses look familiar too (just like Bradford's colours!). I'm logged on with Firefox - otherwise I'd add a piccy!

Keep on posting the pics!

Frank Gallagher

Well matured physically if not mentally
1 Jun 2016
Chatsworth
Best answers
Mick I can post pics on Firefox, just click on 'upload a file'

trammayo

24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
Mick I can post pics on Firefox, just click on 'upload a file'

Hi Frank - before a few W10 "upgrades", so could I. Whatever is happening, this site is the only one I have a problem with. I'm using Firefox now and have no other problems other that posting pic. I cannot sort it out, and even Paul had a look. As I have Chrome, it's not too big a problem. All my pics are resized so it isn't the size problem. I blame MS - never had these probs with XP. Firefox is a lot quicker than chrome! Just have to remember to use the latter if I want to post a pic!

Frank Gallagher

Well matured physically if not mentally
1 Jun 2016
Chatsworth
Best answers
I blame MS

So do I!:mad:

KeithT

Hillwalking, chickens and - err - garden railways.
24 Oct 2009
Nr Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
This is not for shuttling.
2. If you are using DC power you can mix DC and DCC locos as the DCC decoders are usually set to allow DC (analogue) usage (if they are not set for analogue use it is a simple matter to reset the CV)
On a DCC powered track, it is feasible to have a DCC loco and a DC one provided the DC one has a can-type motor. To operate the two locos at the same time, you would also need to have two controllers or a controller that could cover two locos at the same time (like the Massoth navigator).
The DC loco on DCC power would be used at address '0'.
Using DC locos on a DCC system does make the motors 'sing' a bot and there has been ,any discussions about whether it harms the DC motor.
I have had analogue locos on my layout whilst DCC power has been selected and they seem to have come through fine....but of course that only is my experience.

On a shuttle you have one loco and a DC shuttle can control a DC or a DCC loco.
The DCC shuttle can only control a DCC loco.

I have ben running numerous DC and DCC locos on my MTS3 for almost 10yrs years without experiencing any problems, or so I thought, but a few weeks ago I took my Bachmann K27 to P&S models to have a Massoth card fitted and Paul found that much of the insulation on the wires had melted! True the smoke unit was pulling far too much current and so is now disconnected but the damage wasn't solely associated with the unit. Fortunately, fitting the Massoth mean't a wholesale rewire in any event.
I am now going to have to be more careful about running my other, mainly Bachmann stock on "00" with the MTS.
I gather that Bachmann are to introduce a 5V smoke unit in place of the factory fitted higher voltage one. I wonder why?

KeithT

24 Oct 2009
Nr Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
The LGB reversing unit can be found on Ebay sometimes. It only has a ceiling of 1 amp and will not work above that.
Before I changed from DC analogue to DCC on my shuttle line, I used an 8 amp DC analogue shuttle unit. This would cope with any loco and load.

I changed to DCC shuttling using a Tam Valley shuttle unit with a Tam Valley DCC booster (small extra board) to bring it up to 5 amp handling. It does not need a central station and is self powered and will automatically 'shuttle' any loco with a DCC address between 1 and 99 (it can handle 4 digit addresses with a cheap add on).

I do still have a brand new unused 'Bazooka' DC analogue 5 amp shuttle unit that I would be happy to pass on.
I got the 8 amp one and did not need the Bazooka jobbie.

If you are interested just pm me (or 'conversation' me)

KeithT

24 Oct 2009
Nr Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
The LGB reversing unit can be found on Ebay sometimes. It only has a ceiling of 1 amp and will not work above that.
Before I changed from DC analogue to DCC on my shuttle line, I used an 8 amp DC analogue shuttle unit. This would cope with any loco and load.

I changed to DCC shuttling using a Tam Valley shuttle unit with a Tam Valley DCC booster (small extra board) to bring it up to 5 amp handling. It does not need a central station and is self powered and will automatically 'shuttle' any loco with a DCC address between 1 and 99 (it can handle 4 digit addresses with a cheap add on).

I do still have a brand new unused 'Bazooka' DC analogue 5 amp shuttle unit that I would be happy to pass on.
I got the 8 amp one and did not need the Bazooka jobbie.

If you are interested just pm me (or 'conversation' me)

Mike I have sent you a further PM about the Bazooka unit.

D

Deleted member 3553

http://www.blocksignalling.co.uk/index.php BLOCKsignalling manufactures low-cost control systems for model rail enthusiasts.....Hi James...found site while browsing for info in general and thought some of their goods worth investigating......Regards Mal R.
Have been running a reversing shuttle from this coy. , now for 7 seven days.100 % operation and have ordered another style unit for the cable car...Uk price OK with me and they only charge couple of dollars postage.....worth looking at from my point of view..........