Country flag
Sandy? (Dvrr) :rofl::rofl::rofl:

lgbmad

Model trains....G scale mainly, but enjoy all othe
20 Oct 2011
Llanfyllin,Powys
Best answers
Country flag
Well thank you for the info and link (which is very helpful thank you), as you rightly say, I must get out there and see what other people are doing, in the mean time my track collection is starting to grow. I did happen to mention to the boss about removing some plants and trees in the garden to make room for 'THE NEW RAILWAY'.....eeeeeeeeeeeeeemmm!!!! got to work on my charm offensive here I do think.I may need to remove said plants during the cover of darkness (and boy is it dark here.....no street lights in the hills!!!!!) and maybe blame the sheep for the offence (you know.... stitch them up....must be a pun there some where).
Thank you again
Kev :clap:

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Another thing that will tax your mind is maintaining current through the multiple rail jonts via LGB fishplates. Now good advice is to use the LGB Graphite Paste on each of your Railjoints. For me that worked well, however I also use Track Clamps, Hillman in my case. Massoth and others also make them. Invest in them when your Track is new and never worry about loss of power to the remote parts of your line again. Yes it is an add on cost, but less is mre when things work well and you are looking at a large line I think.

They also are an added security item as taking up the layout does involve undoing the fixings on the clamps. You can get varying kinds for varying jobs, however the first decision you would need to make if you decide to use them ( good decision) would be whether you want Over the Fishplates or as a complete replacement for your LGB or other make of Fishplate.
JonD

Philbahn

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Swinton Manchester
Best answers
Country flag

lgbmad

20 Oct 2011
Llanfyllin,Powys
Best answers
Country flag
Hi JonD
thank you for the info, and something I had not really considered.....so thinking cap on.All this thinking.....its like being back at work.:D
Kind regards
Kev

Philbahn

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Swinton Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
Been on DCC since I started 7 years ago. MTS 2 , Mts 3 with navigator now Massoth.

Could not face all the analogue hassel of sections and isolators.

Some won't move into the 21st century. Some because of the cost of chipping a big fleet, some because of the "dark side" and some just luddites. Make the effort now and go DCC

ntpntpntp

Registered
24 Oct 2009
UK
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
Some might actually enjoy messing around with wires and switches, soldering irons and strippers (ooo-err)! I do. My main N gauge layout is strictly analogue DC, as are all the other bits of various small gauges in the household (Z, TT, HOe, OO).

However my big stuff is DCC and no regrets about that. It works well and gives me the total flexibility of operation that I want with a small loco fleet on a simple line, plus the bonus of decent sound when desired (sound in the small scales just doesn't cut it for me).

yb281

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Philbahn said:
Some won't move into the 21st century. Some because of the cost of chipping a big fleet, some because of the "dark side" and some just luddites. Make the effort now and go DCC
With all due respect, that's a bit harsh Phil. Yes DCC is something to be considered, but it doesn't suit every railway or operator. There are other alternatives which are every bit as contemporary and likely be developed in the future. It's horses for courses mate.

CoggesRailway

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
If you are still building the railway my suggestion is this - by a cheap analogue power supply. (I got a second hand one for £45) and use that to run trains, including those with chips, as you develop the layout. That way you will have a better feel for what is needed operationally. Also you will have a feel for the track cleaning needed and how practical that is for you i.e. if you have a longish run on the ground with awkward areas to get to track cleaning gets boring quickly! Anyway just saying don't jump in. As I understand DCC is relatively simple to hook up retorspectively.

For the record I suspect wireless computing and battery technology will progress in the end where track power is seen as old hat. locos already can run for 8 hours solid on very short charges. Charging isn't a faff- I charge my galaxy, my blackberry, my laptop, my kids games kit etc etc it isn't a chore. far far less than track maintence. Points etc could still use rail as a powersupply but without the worries of surface conductivity. I work in the tech industry and garden rail DCC kit looks distinctly 1990s. It is brilliant in many ways and probably the best solution NOW for most railways but don't be so sure it is the future....

I think a highbrid of software on a tablet with digitial control and lithium powered trains known as a thingumsystem is where we will end up.

I do agree though that analogue track power is the past.

bigjack

Railways of all shapes and sizes G 00 and big en's
24 Oct 2009
On the sunny North Coast of Essex
Best answers
Country flag
yb281 said:
Philbahn said:
With all due respect, that's a bit harsh Phil. Yes DCC is something to be considered, but it doesn't suit every railway or operator. There are other alternatives which are every bit as contemporary and likely be developed in the future. It's horses for courses mate.
Hear hear. I've not only Digital control but, battery power as well.

Round n Round

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Lancashire
Best answers
ntpntpntp said:
Some might actually enjoy messing around with wires and switches, soldering irons and strippers
Well said that man :clap:
(shame that my memory can't recall the last bit tho)
e68b60400485467eab9a0058ebd3abb5.jpg

lgbmad

20 Oct 2011
Llanfyllin,Powys
Best answers
Country flag
Do you know what guys.....you lot are the most entertaining group I have come across......no need to watch telly any more, just switch on to the forum....great info and the daily soap..BRILLIANT!!!!
The info from all is very much appreciated
Kev

p.williams

staying alive
16 May 2011
west london
Best answers
Mts is brilliant - no sections, all switch de-coders connectd to track.
only problem i have is trying to remember what number controls which loco or point ( encapsulated A4 printout helps)- getting old and forgetfull !!

NEVER KEEP THE DEEP HEAT AND ANUSOL IN THE SAME DRAWER OF THE MEDICINE CABINET !

Philbahn

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Swinton Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
Those like Trevor burying his head in a cupboard. Nice photo Trevor :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:
Now that I've stirred up a hornets nest I'll go back to work.
Afternoon chaps.
ntpntpntp said:
Some might actually enjoy messing around with wires and switches, soldering irons and strippers
Well said that man :clap:
(shame that my memory can't recall the last bit tho)
images
[/quote]

trammayo

Interested in vintage commercial vehicle, trams, t
24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
Philbahn said:
Been on DCC since I started 7 years ago. MTS 2 , Mts 3 with navigator now Massoth.

Could not face all the analogue hassel of sections and isolators.

Si thi - Ned Ludd had a reet good tooil - Big Enoch (mine weighs in aht fourteen pund) - tha wants to careful:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

alecescolme

Trains, Model Engineering, Cars
17 Oct 2010
Over Kellet, Carnforth
www.alecescolme.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
Philbahn said:
Or digital battery R/C and use analogue control for unconverted locos...

Alec