Anybody using Digitrax?

jimmielx

45mm gauge track - approx 16mm scale (1:19)
24 Oct 2009
Hastings, UK
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
Hi all

I'm just wondering if anybody out there is using a Digitrax DCC control system. I've done a bit of investigating and a basic 5A digitrax system will cost around £250 with no CV reading or £320 with CV reading, compared to £420 for an 5A LGB MTS III system or £750 for an 8A Massoth system (all excluding transformers).

The digitrax system has a selectable output voltage including a G scale 20v setting so it would seem to fit the bill. The major drawback that I can see is that the radio throttles are not licensed for use in Europe which is a shame, but I will be quite happy with a tether so looking at the figures I am very tempted to with the digitrax.

I have a sprog for programming so I'm not really interested in being able to read back CVs and I am interested in the medium term to set up automatic train operations probably using the open source Rocrail program which would also allow me to use their iPhone based throttle too. Digitrax appears to enjoy wide support for computer connection and compatability with the software out there (I need to run the software on a Mac too).

Anyway on the surface the Digitrax really seems like the obvious choice, but as I don't think I've ever seen it mentioned on the forum I just thought I'd ask if anyone has any experience of it before I take the plunge.

Thanks

James

Mez

Registered
30 Mar 2010
Oxfordshire
Best answers
Hello
The massoth has a transformer built in. the 1200z

Martino

Photography, The GWR, Aviation, Travel, Cars.
24 Oct 2009
Jasper, Georgia. USA
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
I use a Digitrax set up here in the US.

I find it great and a reasonable price.

I do use the radio throttle as well as tethered.

If you've got specific questions either PM me or post it here and I'll try and answer.

It's a good system from my point of view.

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Mez said:
Hello
The massoth has a transformer built in.

Erm not all of them have.
JonD

Mez

Registered
30 Mar 2010
Oxfordshire
Best answers
dunnyrail said:
Mez said:
Hello
The massoth has a transformer built in.

Erm not all of them have.
JonD

True (post now edited)
must be the 800 one his looking at.
which does not
800 and a navigator bout seven fifty.

Mez

Registered
30 Mar 2010
Oxfordshire
Best answers
For posting wrong info.

Mez

Registered
30 Mar 2010
Oxfordshire
Best answers
I have banned myself!

Cliff George

Registered
24 Oct 2009
City of Chelmsford
Best answers
Country flag
Hello James,

Have you considered Lenz? For £250 you could get a Lenz set 90. That would get you going 5A, selectable output voltage, highly extendable, full CV programming, widely available in the UK, cheap wireless control via XPA and cordless phone, very popular (not just large scale) so all software is going to support it. You can boost the power output to a notional 10A with a parallel power station.

Running software on a MAC is going to restrict your choice of software. I know free software sounds good, but considering what we spend on our trains a bit of dosh splashed on some good software is well worth in it my view.

I'm using traincontroller by RR&Co and that can be controlled by just about any WiFi enabled device including iPhone.

Regards
Cliff

jimmielx

24 Oct 2009
Hastings, UK
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
Hi guys

Thank you for the responses.
Martino, thank you for your reply - it's great to know that someone is using the Digitrax and happy with it!
Cliff, I'm now going to look into the Lenz option too!

Cheers
James

corgi

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Melbourne, Australia
Best answers
I have been using Digitrax on my HO since 1996. If I were to put DCC onto my garden I would stick with Digitrax.

jimmielx

24 Oct 2009
Hastings, UK
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
Hi all

Thanks again for the responses.

Cliff following your email I looked into the Lenz 90 set you suggested further and after also chatting to the Chris at Digitrains (who was most helpful) I have decided to go with the Lenz system. It seems to be horses-for-courses between Digitrax and Lenz, but in the end I was swayed towards the Lenz system. For now I've ordered a Set 90 and a 6 way points decoder to get me going and will upgrade to the occupancy detection and computer interface later.

Anyway, just thinking ahead a bit as it has not yet arrived I was wondering what track voltage folks use as the Lenz system has various settings. My locos are very happy at the 15v the sprog gives me so I'm wondering if there is any need to go to a higher track voltage? I imagine that trains run faster, and lights are brighter, but I'm not interested in either of those. So are there any other advantages or am I just as well to stay at the default track voltage?

Thanks again

James

jimmielx

24 Oct 2009
Hastings, UK
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks Mez!

Cliff George

Registered
24 Oct 2009
City of Chelmsford
Best answers
Country flag
Oh dear what have I done.

For max power output, and not getting the command station shut down early due to excessive heat, it is best to use the same track voltage that is put out by the transformer. I use 18V for this reason, but this seems about right to me anyway, not too fast on max. I'd probably be happy with less if my transformer put out less.

Regards
Cliff