Ancient Newcomer

Kev Green

Registered
17 Feb 2023
North Devon
Best answers
Country flag
I don't think that you have mentioned where this track will be placed. If outdoors, are you thinking ground level, built up on some sort of raised embankment or elevated? Indoors on the floor or on a baseboard? The location would affect the type of controls you want to use for the passing track.
Initially I’m planning on having it outdoors at ground level using offcuts of wooden decking as a base. To expand where I plan though I’ll probably have to raise it to the level of the patios. I will move the large gravel aside to lay the decking then use a small gravel as ballast.
9BB1C812-8FDF-4D84-8100-E2534604421B.jpeg

Technocrat

Mostly Retired?
18 Feb 2022
De Graff Kansas
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Dave, it’s fine using the set I’ve bought but not sure how I go about extending if sizing is going to be different. Buildings I’m hoping to build my own so I can scale those as needed but figures, etc presumably will be out of scale. I have bought a single G Scale figure and it does seem slightly smaller than the driver that comes with the set
Mixing scales on people is not a big issue as long as the scale differences are not too big. We do all come in various sizes after all.
For instance at the market where I wore we have a very small (but fully grown) check out girl. Next to me she looks like a 1/32 scale person to my 1/22.5. :giggle:

Kev Green

Registered
17 Feb 2023
North Devon
Best answers
Country flag
Having sat with my head in a bucket for a couple of days I'm starting to understand the comments people have kindly left for me and also the buffers discussion now makes sense. Oh and I've ordered a second engine, so it begins.

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Having sat with my head in a bucket for a couple of days I'm starting to understand the comments people have kindly left for me and also the buffers discussion now makes sense. Oh and I've ordered a second engine, so it begins.
If you decided to go for a German line option there are many good prototypes done by Piko for DB if you are happy to accept the scale compromise.

Reactions: 1 user