Ancient Newcomer

Kev Green

Registered
17 Feb 2023
North Devon
Best answers
Country flag
Hi just joined. i Last had model trains in the late 60s a OO layout. Now in my 60s myself I am awaiting delivery of my first G Scale starter set from Piko. I am starting small and seeing where it takes me but hopefully there will be advice here when I come to expand which I have every intention of doing. So just one tiny question for now, will Piko engines and rolling stock connect with LBG and other brands? I read somewhere that The couplings between the two are at slightly different heights.

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome to the forum, good move, start small, gives you chance to find the best path for you to take. I think most G Scale stock is pretty much compatible, coupling heights apart, but beware of the elastic ruler. And the humour.

idlemarvel

Neither idle nor a marvel
13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome on board. I too started with a PIKO starter set and 10 years later I am still using parts of that set. To all intents and purposes PIKO G Scale and LGB are completely compatible and interchangeable. Have fun.

maxi-model

UK/US/ROW steam narrow gauge railways 1:1
27 Oct 2009
Bucks/Oxon/Northants area
Best answers
Country flag
Wellcome Kev. To answer your question - The popular brands of "G Scale" (whisper it, it's not a scale) products from the likes of Piko, LGB, USA Trains, Bachmann & Aristocraft, will have compatible couplers if you are using their "hook & loop" (like the ones on your OO) couplers supplied. They, in some instances, will come with US style knuckle couplers included as well, these generally will work across the different makes. But not hook & loop with knuckle.

The fun only starts if you diversify into products that come from the 16 mm & 15 mm/Fn3 scale worlds, and sometimes referred to as "G Scale" in some sales listings. These items are generally made to run on the same track system as your Piko starter set, as are the previously mentioned brands too. However, they use coupling heights and types that are specific to the types of models they represent. Hope this helps. And watch out for the humour :D Max

Edit - you beat me to it Dave. I should learn to be less verbose.

Kev Green

Registered
17 Feb 2023
North Devon
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome to the forum, good move, start small, gives you chance to find the best path for you to take. I think most G Scale stock is pretty much compatible, coupling heights apart, but beware of the elastic ruler. And the humour.
Thank you

Kev Green

Registered
17 Feb 2023
North Devon
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome on board. I too started with a PIKO starter set and 10 years later I am still using parts of that set. To all intents and purposes PIKO G Scale and LGB are completely compatible and interchangeable. Have fun.
Thank you

Kev Green

Registered
17 Feb 2023
North Devon
Best answers
Country flag
Wellcome Kev. To answer your question - The popular brands of "G Scale" (whisper it, it's not a scale) products from the likes of Piko, LGB, USA Trains, Bachmann & Aristocraft, will have compatible couplers if you are using their "hook & loop" (like the ones on your OO) couplers supplied. They, in some instances, will come with US style knuckle couplers included as well, these generally will work across the different makes. But not hook & loop with knuckle.

The fun only starts if you diversify into products that come from the 16 mm & 15 mm/Fn3 scale worlds, and sometimes referred to as "G Scale" in some sales listings. These items are generally made to run on the same track system as your Piko starter set, as are the previously mentioned brands too. However, they use coupling heights and types that are specific to the types of models they represent. Hope this helps. And watch out for the humour :D Max

Edit - you beat me to it Dave. I should learn to be less verbose.
Thank you, yes I’ve done enough googling and youtubing to see that G Scale covers a range of options. Hopefully if I stick to 1:22.5 then I shouldn’t have too many problems at least for now.

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Thank you, yes I’ve done enough googling and youtubing to see that G Scale covers a range of options. Hopefully if I stick to 1:22.5 then I shouldn’t have too many problems at least for now.
One thing you should also be aware of with Piko. Their European products tend to be of standard gauge (SG) locomotives, wagons and coaches. This means that they have twin buffers rather than single Narrow Gauge Buffers. Some LGB products are also of SG prototypes so if you select those things will not look odd. However for the standard gauge the scale is a bit out at around 1:29 so not gauge 1 nor 1:24 which needs roughly Gauge 3 Track at 63.5. Many ignore these issues, but best to be aware.

idlemarvel

13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
If you are a stickler for scale (as others have hinted "G Scale" is really "G gauge" of 45mm on which a wide variety of scale models run) and you would like to stick with 1:22.5 then PIKO is not for you. As dunnyrail dunnyrail pointed out PIKO features mainly standard gauge models in scales around 1:27. The 1:22.5 ready to run market is mainly aimed at 1m narrow gauge, mainly European outline. LGB and others focus on RhB and HSB. I didn’t want to get into the minefield of "what is G scale" at this early stage in your interest but as you expressed some preference you need to know where PIKO stand ref your opening question. Despite the PIKO starter set rolling stock not being 1:22.5 it is still a good idea as it provides everything you need to start running trains and it will give you a good feel for the size of G scale. The track and controller etc will still be useful and you can sell the rolling stock on if you decide it does not fit in with your plans as there is an active secondhand market.

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
Kev welcome, lots advice as already shown, and you have had the humour warning, so enjoy :)

Kev Green

Registered
17 Feb 2023
North Devon
Best answers
Country flag
If you are a stickler for scale (as others have hinted "G Scale" is really "G gauge" of 45mm on which a wide variety of scale models run) and you would like to stick with 1:22.5 then PIKO is not for you. As dunnyrail dunnyrail pointed out PIKO features mainly standard gauge models in scales around 1:27. The 1:22.5 ready to run market is mainly aimed at 1m narrow gauge, mainly European outline. LGB and others focus on RhB and HSB. I didn’t want to get into the minefield of "what is G scale" at this early stage in your interest but as you expressed some preference you need to know where PIKO stand ref your opening question. Despite the PIKO starter set rolling stock not being 1:22.5 it is still a good idea as it provides everything you need to start running trains and it will give you a good feel for the size of G scale. The track and controller etc will still be useful and you can sell the rolling stock on if you decide it does not fit in with your plans as there is an active secondhand market.
It seems to be listed at 1:22.5 so I’ll be interested to see it when it arrives, hopefully tomorrow

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
The other important thing to remember is Rule 8. It's your railway so can run what you want! As previously stated, there is a tendency to use a rubber ruler, so some stock from different scales will look great together anyway.

Kev Green

Registered
17 Feb 2023
North Devon
Best answers
Country flag
The other important thing to remember is Rule 8. It's your railway so can run what you want! As previously stated, there is a tendency to use a rubber ruler, so some stock from different scales will look great together anyway.
Thanks Paul very true

idlemarvel

13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
It seems to be listed at 1:22.5 so I’ll be interested to see it when it arrives, hopefully tomorrow
Out of interest which PIKO starter set is it?

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome to the Forum, Kevin!
Have a think about what you want to achieve..
We all have a few motley bits of stock that are strictly wrong gauge, wrong era, wrong continent even. But we run them anyway!

So called 'G scale' is a lot more forgiving, and especially in the garden, where the landscape presents its own difficulties, we tend to gloss over a lot of anomalies.

If you can come up with a clear idea of 'what and where' you want your railway to represent, then you can focus your buying, and building(?), on that.

But mostly..
Enjoy your trains!

PhilP

Kev Green

Registered
17 Feb 2023
North Devon
Best answers
Country flag
Out of interest which PIKO starter set is it?

DB BR80 Passenger Starter Set​

I would have preferred a less colourful set to start with but as my wife pointed out we have two grandsons almost 3 and 6 who are very much into any type of vehicle so it will certainly appeal to them

idlemarvel

13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag

I would have preferred a less colourful set to start with but as my wife pointed out we have two grandsons almost 3 and 6 who are very much into any type of vehicle so it will certainly appeal to them
Keeping wife and grandchildren happy is a vital part of the hobby as it makes the justification for spending more money much easier! :) Ask anyone of a certain age on this forum!

idlemarvel

13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
I assume that means the 37130 set with the green loco (BR80) and red and blue coaches?
The BR80 is a great model for kids, no little bits to break off, practically indestructible and looks and runs well.
In terms of the scale, the loco model is 330mm long and the real (standard gauge) loco is 9.67m so that's 1:29 scale.
The industry tends to use 1:22.5 scale as a synonym for G scale which it isn't as you are finding out, but don't let this worry you for now, just enjoy playing with the train with your grandkids and start planning the rest of your railway empire!

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome aboard Kev.

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag

Ok so this is a model of a standard gauge engine. In the past I have chopped off the 2 buffers mounting one central to double buffered stock to make narrow gauge, this has predominantly been Playmobil but I have done it with a Piko 218 as well though this was supplied with swoppable buffers, not sure Piko does this anymore.