An Irish Fleet

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
That would make it dead-easy to add RC, if you wished?

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
That would make it dead-easy to add RC, if you wished?
The though has occurred to me, but as it is a single ended job and would need Turntables it may not get it. I suspect also that the Tarp would need to be a little higher to take NiMh and the varying cards including MLS. Though as my line is now all Battery, Turntables for small Railcars would be less of an issue than they would be if I was still using Track Power. My old line in Luton was entirely Battery or Live Steam and did incorporate a Turntable to take the TnD 2-6-0 and anything smaller.

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Jon, this thread gets better and better, Thanks for sharing your Irish stock with us.
Thanks Paul, I think this will be the end now I am pretty sure there are no further items lurking in the loft or elsewhere now.

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Jon, your loft sounds like ano Aladdins cave of goodies

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Jon, your loft sounds like ano Aladdins cave of goodies
That it probably is, but moving around up there is a big problem which is why I keep on tickling away at tidying up. Not now though far too hot, Loft really needs a Velux but as it has had Renotherm Spray inside the tiles due to lack if Felt and Crappy Tiles I am reluctant to attack that issue.

Northsider

Modelling the Northern half of the Isle of Man
3 May 2012
Hertfordshire
Best answers
Country flag
A beautiful model -shows what can be done with wood when you have the skills. That West Clare Walker diesel model is a bit special -I have been pondering buying a Worsley Works 'scratch-aid' etching for a while now, as the IOMR considered buying one when that line closed. They didn't in the end, the diesels got scrapped and the IOM got the CDRJC railcars instead. But as a a double-ended 'might have been' it would provide something almost prototypical for the occasions when time doesn't permit live steam...

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
I was busy taking pics of my Harz Mallet backdate and used this as a backdrop, well the other side. The drawing dates back to when I was making Irish Stock, I desperately wanted one of these in my fleet. In my view the most iconic of the Donegal Railcars. Sorry if the drawing is a little faint, was done in light pencil.
169593D3-C8AD-4712-9ADA-21C6ACA102F7.jpeg

Northsider

Modelling the Northern half of the Isle of Man
3 May 2012
Hertfordshire
Best answers
Country flag
I was busy taking pics of my Harz Mallet backdate and used this as a backdrop, well the other side. The drawing dates back to when I was making Irish Stock, I desperately wanted one of these in my fleet. In my view the most iconic of the Donegal Railcars. Sorry if the drawing is a little faint, was done in light pencil.
View attachment 272083
Almost better than 19/20 (which you could say was the pinnacle of development, being the final ones built), but the middle of the progression wins on aesthetics: they embody the principle of rail+car = railcar; or perhaps rail+bus, but you get my drift.
A converted LGB Wismar pig snout would get quite close, with a bit of bashing...

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
View attachment 272083
I like the Irish railcars, but the wheel arrangement on this particular version always rather put me off. The later versions, such as The Clogher Valley unit, or the Donegal's No 14 have a much more comfortable and business-like look on their articulated wheel arrangement.

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
I saw your drawing, and then happened to glance at the shelf where I have an ailing Faller railcar.. Now wondering on the dimensions of the Irish example, and whether the Faller would be anywhere near? :wondering::wondering:

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
I saw your drawing, and then happened to glance at the shelf where I have an ailing Faller railcar.. Now wondering on the dimensions of the Irish example, and whether the Faller would be anywhere near? :wondering::wondering:
It'd be a tricky model to build - you'd have to cheat and pivot the main 4w chassis under the body, otherwise, no matter how much swing you allowed the front axle, it would never go round any standard G scale curvature :shake::shake::shake::shake::shake:

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
The main body is 31cm and the bonnet 10cm it that helps. That is at 15mm to the foot scale.

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
It'd be a tricky model to build - you'd have to cheat and pivot the main 4w chassis under the body, otherwise, no matter how much swing you allowed the front axle, it would never go round any standard G scale curvature :shake::shake::shake::shake::shake:

I am guessing it would be too small for 45mm / G ?? :wondering:

More-like a heretical 32mm gauge jobby, perhaps? :eek:

One for the back-burner, perhaps? - The Faller in question, has some very nasty (even by my standards) bodging of a drive, and axles under it..
I would also have to fabricate the front-end from scratch.. Unless I could find a suitable donor-model truck?? :think:

I would almost need to chop the front-end off a Goose, whilst the owner was looking the other way! :devil::giggle::giggle:

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
I am guessing it would be too small for 45mm / G ?? :wondering:

More-like a heretical 32mm gauge jobby, perhaps? :eek:

One for the back-burner, perhaps? - The Faller in question, has some very nasty (even by my standards) bodging of a drive, and axles under it..
I would also have to fabricate the front-end from scratch.. Unless I could find a suitable donor-model truck?? :think:

I would almost need to chop the front-end off a Goose, whilst the owner was looking the other way! :devil::giggle::giggle:
Fortunately the goose body is far too large :whew::whew:

A 1:24 lorry kit might do the trick - the Italeri range are a bit pricey, but you might find a second hand bodged one :):)

Something like this ??

PICT0006.JPG

jimmytrains_0

Registered
16 Dec 2009
Ealing
Best answers
Country flag
irish interlude.jpg
During a socially distance outing the other day, two formites both bought over Irish stock and we hadn't spoken since March.

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
I'm not sure we can condone this, going to great lengths for accuracy is one thing but cruelty to geese really isn't on

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
I'm not sure we can condone this, going to great lengths for accuracy is one thing but cruelty to geese really isn't on
I was more worried about cruelty to the goose's owner :worried::worried::worried: