AGW Power Supply

electricity_bill

Registered
11 Feb 2010
Best answers
Country flag
View attachment 302603Hello
I have an ancient 12V power supply made by AGW. It has has been very reliable for many years but now the red overload light is lit constantly and there is very little voltage output. I have had a look at the circuit board and there is nothing obvious to me. Any ideas?

Last edited:

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Probably an output transistor has failed short-circuit?

Is it a single, or the twin PE144?

I assume you have disconnected everything from the supply, and looked for odd, stray 'whiskers' causing a short somewhere?

PhilP

electricity_bill

Registered
11 Feb 2010
Best answers
Country flag
Probably an output transistor has failed short-circuit?

Is it a single, or the twin PE144?

I assume you have disconnected everything from the supply, and looked for odd, stray 'whiskers' causing a short somewhere?

PhilP
It is a single and I have had a good look to no avail. Is the output transistor the one that was bolted to the frame? - bottom left in the picture
Bill

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
It is a single and I have had a good look to no avail. Is the output transistor the one that was bolted to the frame? - bottom left in the picture
Bill
Yes, this is the one..

If you make sure you know how to connect it back up, you can remove it from the board, and do a crude test with a meter..

It should not be too onerous to get a replacement. - This is where we lament the passing of Maplins..

PhilP

electricity_bill

Registered
11 Feb 2010
Best answers
Country flag
Bill

Yes, this is the one..

If you make sure you know how to connect it back up, you can remove it from the board, and do a crude test with a meter..

It should not be too onerous to get a replacement. - This is where we lament the passing of Maplins..

PhilP
Please tell me about the crude test.

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Nice one..
Greg beat me to it..

PhilP

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Quick Draw McGaw here.... just be careful I don't morph into El Kabong (wikipedia is your friend)....

Greg
Quick Draw McGraw (correct spelling) don't know about El Kabong..
I may not be old enough? - Or at least, no access to TV..

PhilP

Eaglecliff

Registered
19 Jul 2010
Derby, England
Best answers
Country flag
Yes, this is the one..

PhilP
Maplins? Sob, sob...