Accucraft L&B GOODS BOGIE BRAKE VAN (Suitable for R1's)

SDJR7F88

Registered
24 Mar 2016
West Country
Best answers
Hi all.
I recently acquired a Bachmann 'Lyn', really is a superb model, and my first British Outline loco for the B&BLR. After a bit of running it really got me thinking about getting some matching stock for her and naturally I saw Accucraft have a large range of L&B rolling stock.
Anyway I've been really taken by the iconic L&B Bogie Brake Vans, and was wondering if that could make it around 1R's, which my track consists off. I've heard the L&B Coaches will make it with a bit of modification, but I don't really want to go chopping bits and piece off as they are not cheap. So far I only have one item of Accucraft rolling Stock, which is an W&L Brake Van, a lovely little model, which I'm currently trying to add an LGB Style Wheels and Coupler too.
Any info on the L&B Brake Vans would be greatly appreciate.

G-force1

Prevarication Rules!
4 Aug 2015
North Middle Earth
Best answers
Country flag
If you check on Track-shack's site they list the turning circle of the L&B B/van at 3ft rad, R1 curves are 2ft radius so it's doubtful, even allowing that most of Accus stock does better than stated. Someone on here will have tried, and have the definitive answer.

Reactions: 1 user

SDJR7F88

Registered
24 Mar 2016
West Country
Best answers
If you check on Track-shack's site they list the turning circle of the L&B B/van at 3ft rad, R1 curves are 2ft radius so it's doubtful, even allowing that most of Accus stock does better than stated. Someone on here will have tried, and have the definitive answer.
Yes, had spotted that, so thought I'd ask. I saw someone on here managed to get the L&B Coaches around R1's with a little bit of modification, and they as much longer than the Brake Van. Will be interesting to see if so

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
You might be better sticking with LnB 4 Wheel Stock. Though not sure of it's Providence on R1. This would of course exclude you from LnB Passenger Trains unless you add LGB Coach or some such to the Consist.
JonD

Neil Robinson

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N W Leicestershire
Best answers
Country flag
My bogie van has no problems with LGB R1s. My own layout only has a R1 reverse curve, in the shed on a tight siding, but the van has visited other lines without issue.
I think the couplings may be an issue, I've converted both my L&B and W&L vans to LGB couplings, each on one end only. With the L&B the couplers are bogie mounted but this photo of the original Accucraft coupled to an unmodified Caledonia in the middle of my reverse curve shows how tight body mounted ones can be.

Cpling2.jpg

I managed to fit LGB metal rimmed wheels to both my vans. The L&B came with an extra pair of coupling mounting bars to suit Accucraft's alternative hight. I modified one of these to take an LGB coupling as shown below.

Bogie Coupling.JPG

For the W&L van I cut away a small part of the buffer beam then built up a platform from plasticard type sheet and square section tube. This served as a mounting for an LGB coupling.

post-9-1196770489.jpg

I hope this is of some help.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

SDJR7F88

Registered
24 Mar 2016
West Country
Best answers
My bogie van has no problems with LGB R1s. My own layout only has a R1 reverse curve, in the shed on a tight siding, but the van has visited other lines without issue.
I think the couplings may be an issue, I've converted both my L&B and W&L vans to LGB couplings, each on one end only. With the L&B the couplers are bogie mounted but this photo of the original Accucraft coupled to an unmodified Caledonia in the middle of my reverse curve shows how tight body mounted ones can be.

View attachment 214936

I managed to fit LGB metal rimmed wheels to both my vans. The L&B came with an extra pair of coupling mounting bars to suit Accucraft's alternative hight. I modified one of these to take an LGB coupling as shown below.

View attachment 214937

For the W&L van I cut away a small part of the buffer beam then built up a platform from plasticard type sheet and square section tube. This served as a mounting for an LGB coupling.

View attachment 214938

I hope this is of some help.
Thanks ever so much for the help Neil! You thread on the W&L van was what inspired me to get one ;)
So what your saying with the L&B van is that it should work on R1's? Every corner and point on my line is R1, so I want to just make sure. I will of course be adding LGB couples to it at a later date. So should be ok? :)
Hear's a overview picture of the line to show what I mean by the curves it will have to deal with...DSC04437 (1024x768).jpg DSC04443 (1024x768).jpg DSC04447 (1024x768).jpg
These last pictures so the rest of the layout (taken before the extension).
DSC03421 (1024x768).jpg DSC03450 (1024x768).jpg

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
I think Neil's point about LGB wheelsets may also be pertinent. LGB wheels have deeper flanges, primarily to cope with sharp curves :nod::nod::nod:

Trainman58

When I grow up I want to be Compo- minus the feret
23 Nov 2013
Auckland,NZ
Country
New-Zealand
Best answers
Country flag
Beautiful Layout!

Frank Gallagher

Well matured physically if not mentally
1 Jun 2016
Chatsworth
Best answers
Going back slightly, you only need to add one LGB coupling to allow a wagon to attach to the Loco then use toe original couplings to attach the rest of the wagons

SDJR7F88

Registered
24 Mar 2016
West Country
Best answers
I think Neil's point about LGB wheelsets may also be pertinent. LGB wheels have deeper flanges, primarily to cope with sharp curves :nod::nod::nod:
Thanks for the info, I do plan to replace the wheel as well. I noticed that ones on the W&L Brake Van make it bounce around on point work.

SDJR7F88

Registered
24 Mar 2016
West Country
Best answers
Going back slightly, you only need to add one LGB coupling to allow a wagon to attach to the Loco then use toe original couplings to attach the rest of the wagons
Yes, might end up doing that. Though most of my stock is LGB so will have to see. :)

G-force1

Prevarication Rules!
4 Aug 2015
North Middle Earth
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks for the info, I do plan to replace the wheel as well. I noticed that ones on the W&L Brake Van make it bounce around on point work.

If, with the existing wheels they bounce about on points, then beware of fitting anything with deeper flanges as it will make things worse! What you describe is the flanges riding the frog (crossover).

SDJR7F88

Registered
24 Mar 2016
West Country
Best answers
If, with the existing wheels they bounce about on points, then beware of fitting anything with deeper flanges as it will make things worse! What you describe is the flanges riding the frog (crossover).
Nothing to do with the flanges as all LGB, PIKO and other stock is fine. Just think it's the fine-scale wheels, dropping into the gaps on the frogs and leaping out of them. Sort of like driving into a pothole

Neil Robinson

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N W Leicestershire
Best answers
Country flag

Yes, might end up doing that. Though most of my stock is LGB so will have to see. :)

I respectfully suggest checking on R1 reverse curves as I suspect LGB couplings have more sideways flexibility than Accucraft choppers.
I don't know for sure as I don't have much Accucraft stock.

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Nothing to do with the flanges as all LGB, PIKO and other stock is fine. Just think it's the fine-scale wheels, dropping into the gaps on the frogs and leaping out of them. Sort of like driving into a pothole

I concur.. Finescale wheels are much thinner, so where there is extra width (through a point, say) the wheel can drop into the 'four-foot'. It then climbs out as it exits the wider section. - Sometimes derailing.

?Not having checked.. What do the back-to-backs come out like, if you compare G1 to G?

SDJR7F88

Registered
24 Mar 2016
West Country
Best answers
I respectfully suggest checking on R1 reverse curves as I suspect LGB couplings have more sideways flexibility than Accucraft choppers.
I don't know for sure as I don't have much Accucraft stock.
As long as the L&B vans gets around them I'm fine ;)

casey jones snr

Registered
20 Apr 2010
Charnwood Forest Railway. Rothley. Leics.
Country
England
Best answers
Country flag
image.jpeg
Haven't got around to getting it yet. Ended up getting a Live Steam and now looking at my second ;)
I see. At the CFR I run a considerable amount of L & B freight and passenger stock. Most of the stock is Accucraft but some is GRS, all the bogie stock operates perfectly even through R1 points. I also find that they look great being hauled by the Roundhouse "Little John" and "Bulldog" locomotives.