A station from Germany.....

pghewett

Registered
7 Jan 2010
Best answers
Country flag
Has anyone any experience of weatherproofing these Holzmodellbau buildings? Experiments with Cuprinol 5 star have been poor; I was wondering about a coat of marine varnish or similar.

GH

beavercreek

Travel, Art, Theatre, Music, Photography, Trains
24 Oct 2009
Colchester, United Kingdom
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
pghewett said:
Has anyone any experience of weatherproofing these Holzmodellbau buildings? Experiments with Cuprinol 5 star have been poor; I was wondering about a coat of marine varnish or similar.

GH
I Cuprinol my wooden buildings before they have any of there their paint, weathering or 'finishing' coats of matt varnish. So far they have been out all year, some for nearly seven years and no rot yet. I do cover most of them if there is going to be a few days of heavy weather. I also mount them on hard 'foamboard' plinths (covered with a thin layer sand or gravel around the edge of the buildings) so that they do not sit on wet gravel, soil etc.
Recommend the stuff...I treat our decking and arbours with it every Autumn..decking is now 10 years old and still standing.

With Jon's magnificwnt station however, Cuprinol would not do that much good as it has been painted and varnished already. But as he is going to take the building in when not in use it is academic anyway.

pghewett

Registered
7 Jan 2010
Best answers
Country flag
@beavercreek - I thought like you but I have to say - ruefully - that Cuprinolling the roof of a Holzmodellbau building did it no good at all; the walls were fine, but the roof, made up from wooden shingles, mounted on some sort of composite matting, buckled. It may be that it was the specific material used in the roofing. I can imagine that decking and so on is made of sterner stuff. Hence my thought about just a coat of varnish. [I intend to stand the buildings on stone slabs to prevent water rising up the walls.]

beavercreek

Travel, Art, Theatre, Music, Photography, Trains
24 Oct 2009
Colchester, United Kingdom
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
pghewett said:
@beavercreek - I thought like you but I have to say - ruefully - that Cuprinolling the roof of a Holzmodellbau building did it no good at all; the walls were fine, but the roof, made up from wooden shingles, mounted on some sort of composite matting, buckled. It may be that it was the specific material used in the roofing. I can imagine that decking and so on is made of sterner stuff. Hence my thought about just a coat of varnish. [I intend to stand the buildings on stone slabs to prevent water rising up the walls.]
I have buildings with real cedar shingles which I treated with Cuprinol and they are fine....but.... I had used thin beads of exterior mastic to glue them down onto a cedar ply sheet roof sub-base that was already treated with Cuprinol. The mastic seems to be impervious to the Cuprinol as only a couple of shingles have come off on one building (where I probably did not use enough mastic). I have left it like that as it is supposed to be an 'old-timers' shack and it adds to effect.

I should imagine that the glue or the fixing matting, used in the 'Holzmodellbau', is probably dissolved or distorted by the hydrocarbon spirit content of the Cuprinol.

pghewett

Registered
7 Jan 2010
Best answers
Country flag
@beavercreek - thanks for the explanation. The lesson I draw is to examine the roof substructure; for shingle on matting, varnish will have to do on its own; for walls, cuprinol first, perhaps.

RH Prague

Central European. the station pub is Czech !!
28 Oct 2009
Prague
Best answers
Country flag
Good morning all.

I am reactivating this thread to ask if anyone has a direct contact to Herr Gossow who makes these beautiful stations. Despite kindly searching for me, Zerogee was unable to find it; meanwhile Herr Gossow has not replied to my attempt to reach him via EBay, even though he has some more stations currently on sale there.

If someone else has his email address I would be very grateful for it. Thanks

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Good morning all.

I am reactivating this thread to ask if anyone has a direct contact to Herr Gossow who makes these beautiful stations. Despite kindly searching for me, Zerogee was unable to find it; meanwhile Herr Gossow has not replied to my attempt to reach him via EBay, even though he has some more stations currently on sale there.

If someone else has his email address I would be very grateful for it. Thanks
Sorry canot help, have been looking to see but not abke to find any of his Buildings. Could you please post a link?
JonD

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Many thanks, superb stuff. Excellent wish I could afford them, but probably be tricky for me outside as I am not a lover of having to bring things in over bad weather. My Railway needs to be a real 24/7 365 job.
JonD

G-force1

Prevarication Rules!
4 Aug 2015
North Middle Earth
Best answers
Country flag
:wait: Bu66ered this year then Jon. What you gonna do about the other day? :giggle::giggle::giggle: