Scratchbuilt 5906 Harz Mallet.....

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
I've just acquired a rather nicely done hand-built version of the 5906 Harz Mallet, via Rails of Sheffield...
I don't know if this link will work, but if it does it should take you to the eBay pics of it as sold:

http://www.auctiva.com/hostedimages...,905727319,905727337&formats=0,0,0,0&format=0

Anyway, I spotted it last Thursday, made an offer which was accepted, it was shipped on Friday and - amazingly - it arrived via Parcelfarce on Saturday morning while i was up at the Bressingham show!
That's the good news part of the story - the bad news is that it arrived in a bit of a state, with several bits broken off and damage to the frames of both power units, as a result of the loco being able to move around inside its nice wooden packing case during transit.... the outer packing around the box was excellent, but there simply wasn't enough padding inside to protect it from being hurled around at the PF depot.... :mad:

Still, silver lining and all that.... Rails have been very good about it, and offered me a very fair partial refund to compensate for the repair work that I will have to do on it - which is most definitely worth doing, as it really is quite an excellent model.
From the eBay listing i couldn't really tell much about it, so it was a bit of a chance purchase, but it's actually much better than I expected it to be (damage notwithstanding) - it's a mixture of very thick plasticard (and plastic pipe for the boiler) and some parts in brass, including the upper half of the cab which appears to be built to very professional standards. Most of the boiler fittings (funnel, domes etc) appear to be either cast or turned metal. The builder couldn't use standard LGB power units because the model needed a much shorter wheelbase, so he's scratchbuilt the gearboxes and each unit uses an LGB Buhler motor standing vertically and driving the rear axle, the front axle being driven purely by the side rods. Pickups are on all eight wheels, but there are no skates.

Comparing the model with photos of the KISS 5906, the scratchbuild is actually a much more accurate model than I expected it to be - there are discrepancies, the most glaring probably being the undersized driving wheels (standard LGB wheels, which are not quite big enough) and the side tanks are perhaps a little short at the front (I don't think the real 5906 has the tanks ending quite so far short of the smokebox front) - but considering it has cost me, in the end, well under 1/12 of what a KISS model would have cost I think I can live with a few "inaccuracies"...... ;)

So, I have some repairs and repainting to do when I can get round to it, but once they are done then this 5906 can happily take its place in the Harz loco stable alongside the pair of TL45 Mallets (5901/5902), the LGB 6001 and 2-10-2, and the TL45 6101 Pfiffi!

Now, a question which is a VERY long shot indeed, but you just never know, in a relatively small group like the G-scale community..... does anyone here recognise the model and have any idea at all of who might have built it.......?

Jon.

Reactions: 1 user

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
Saw that. glad its gone to a good home. look forward to the piccys once the repairs are done.

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
z
The other thing to note is that it is a diferent Loco to the TL ones. These have Straight Piston Covers (most easily noticeable difference) and other differences, being built by Jung 1897-1901 whereas 5906 was built by Karlsruhe in 1918.

Lucky boy, a very desirable beast. Wish I had seen it. Would also have collected it as I could have gone for free by Train.

Sure you will make a good job of the repairs. Also worth considering a good sound chip for it. The Zimo in the latter TL one is far superior if you can get one.
JonD

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
Very true Jon. Also the cab is identifiable by being curved straight in to the roof with no overhang and minimal gutter. Most obviouse is that all 8 wheels are outside of the frames were as the Jung Mallets have the rear 4 wheels inside the frames.

mike

Master at annoying..
Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Rossendale
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
beautiful model, lucky guy

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks all - well, I HOPE it will be beautiful again once I've managed to get the repairs done - at the moment it is a large pile of parts on the workbench, isn't it funny how quick and easy it is to take things apart compared with getting round to putting them back together again....? :rofl:

Yes Alan, the first thing I noticed was the inside frames on both power units, and thought "Hmmm, the builder has cut a bit of a corner there for ease of construction" - then I looked at the 5906 pics and realised that, as you say, she doesn't have the outside frames on the rear unit that 5901/5902 have.
The distinctive cab is REALLY well made in brass, the upper half of it anyhow; the lower half of the cab is in plasticard, integral with the side tanks.
Now I've got it all dismantled, I've discovered that the pipe used for the boiler is metal rather than plastic, and is where most of the model's weight comes from.
Sound-chipping is a must, of course, though due to the steel pipe boiler there aren't as many possible options for locating either the decoder or speaker as you might think - it will require some careful thought.
There are some other things I've got to sort out, like replacing both sets of cab steps (there originally, but broken off at some time in the past - NOT transit damage to me in this case, as they are missing from the eBay photos too).

I get the feeling that this was a very well-built model that has seen a reasonable amount of use, losing a few bits and pieces along the way..... hopefully I can restore it as it deserves!

Jon.

pugwash

impecunious pirate
Staff member
GSC Moderator
17 Nov 2009
Luxembourg
Best answers
Country flag
Jon, please mate, change the damned driver, he makes the loco look like a starter set Stainz.
And weather the beastie, it's just asking to be mucky :nod:

I will now go and drool in private.

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Niiiicccceeeee....

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
Jon, please mate, change the damned driver, he makes the loco look like a starter set Stainz.
And weather the beastie, it's just asking to be mucky :nod:

I will now go and drool in private.

Worry not, Pugs, he's already been removed and consigned to the spare figures box - new crew will either be one of the new Preiser sets or a couple of Prehm zinc ones! ;)
Will give some serious thought to the weathering idea......

Jon.

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
Is this the Harz loco that makes a strange clicking noise when running under light steam?

Hmmm, I don't know if I'd actually want to replicate that, no matter how "authentic" it might be... most people would just think there was something wrong with the sound chip! ;)

Jon.

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Doesn't the sloppy motion on many LGB loco's do that anyway??
:rofl::rofl::rofl:

pugwash

impecunious pirate
Staff member
GSC Moderator
17 Nov 2009
Luxembourg
Best answers
Country flag
Worry not, Pugs, he's already been removed and consigned to the spare figures box - new crew will either be one of the new Preiser sets or a couple of Prehm zinc ones! ;)
Will give some serious thought to the weathering idea......
Jon.
Ah, that's my man! Pass me another hankie to drool into :tmi: If you are short of an airbrush I could lend you mine at postage cost :*

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Couple of pics for comparison. Note 5906 with sloping cylinder covers and inside frames both bogies. Front bogie protudes in front of Smokebox plus plenty of other minor differences. Alexisbad 2010.image.jpeg image.jpeg
Whereas 5902 has curved straighter cylinder covers and inside frames on rear bogie. Quedlinburg 2011.
JonD

Reactions: 1 users

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks, JonD - as I said in an earlier post, the scratchbuilt 5906 is REASONABLY accurate, at least in all its major features - it's nowhere near the level of detail or accuracy of the KISS model of course, which I still covet, but it's good enough that it will serve well alongside the TL45 ones.
The cylinders used on the scratchbuild are LGB, I think, but I'm not sure what they are from - they are the right characteristic shape for 5906, with flat-topped valve chests, though they are definitely too small in diameter - they're not Stainz sets, nor are they U-class. Anyone recognise them from the linked pics in the first posting?

Jon.

wandgrudd

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Zerogee,

The valve chests are from the Stainz tender ie 2015d.

Andrew.

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
Better late than never, today I finally started work on repairing and rebuilding the scratchbuilt 5906..... having dismantled it several months ago and then put it all away again in a box, I felt the need to do something with it at last!

So, today the broken frames and various other bits that had separated from the two power units were all mended with the help of the superb Hafixs superglue, the bottom covers were taken off the gearbox units to see how the gearing and drives looked, and I tested both power units for the first time with some analogue DC; they both seemed to run well, so I proceeded to rewire them ready for DCC, at the same time working out where I could best locate the XLS decoder and the speaker. The decoder (well protected with some very large heatshrink tube and some insulation tape) will slide into the steel pipe that forms the boiler, sitting nicely between the spaces that are required for the two vertically-mounted motors, and there is a perfect space for the speaker (a Massoth 40mm square-based type, facing downwards between the two power units) where I've removed the old homemade circuit board that used to carry the diodes for the directional lights. This way, everything should fit neatly inside the boiler area without intruding into the cab or any other visible parts of the loco. More description and pics to follow as the rebuild progresses.......

The power units as removed from the loco, but after repair of the frame damage suffered in the post....

5906 power units.jpeg

The gearbox bottom plate removed from the rear power bogie, showing the drive gearing and wheel pickups:

5906 rear bogie drive.jpeg

5906 era bogie drive2.jpeg

Side view of front power unit showing shortened Stainz-type motion:

5906 front unit side.jpeg

....and the same with the rear power unit:

5906 rear bogie side.jpeg

Rear power unit after re-wiring ready for DCC......

5906 rear bogie rewired.jpeg

....and both units with the new wiring tidied up and cable-tied!

5906 powerunits rewired.jpeg

Jon.

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
Day two of rebuild work on the 5906 sees it mostly back together apart from the boiler, the wiring all done, speaker installed and the decoder connected up for a quick DC test. The wiring looms and the (thoroughly insulated!) decoder will slide into the boiler pipe when I do the final assembly - I checked very carefully to make sure that the two bolts which secure the boiler to the footplate were still going to accessible from underneath once the power units had been re-mounted!
The Massoth 40mm square-base speaker is good enough, I'd have preferred something larger but that would have meant either in-cab mounting or else cutting into the inside of the side tanks, neither of which I fancied doing - the 40mm one fits perfectly, so will have to do.
Note that with the Massoth XLS decoder, all the essential main wiring for this particular installation (apart from the micro-CT plug for the speaker) handily connects to just one end of the decoder - making everything a lot neater and easier to slide the decpder into the boiler body on final assembly.
Pleased with progress so far!

5906 test overview.jpeg

5906 test side.jpeg

5906 test rear.jpeg 5906 wiring test.jpeg

5906 speaker test.jpeg

5906 decoder test.jpeg

Jon.

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
Tonight I finally managed to spend another hour or so on the Mallett, finishing off the wiring and protecting the decoder sufficiently to slide it into the boiler pipe - then got the cab wiring (for the rear lights) tidied up and out of sight, screwed the cab upper half back into place and refitted the boiler. Tested everything on DC first, all seemed to be working well so tried it on DCC - all runs as it should, lights work and the sound is good! With one of the new Preiser loco crew sets installed (I especially like the fireman leaning on the cab door), it's now all reassembled as it should have been had it not suffered the transit damage to me, plus fully working DCC and sound.

There are a few things it needs adding to replace things that have obviously broken off during its previous life - the cab steps, boiler side steps, and I need to build a new coal bunker to go on the left side tank - there was obviously one there at some time because there are two locating holes for it. I could, if I get the chance, add a bit more boiler plumbing and detailing, but that can wait for a while. For now it is mechanically and electrically complete and running, and overall I'm pretty happy with it - yes, it's not as accurate as a KISS example, but at about one-tenth of the price it will do for now! :)

5906 reassembled1.jpeg

5906 reassembled2.jpeg

5906 reassembled3.jpeg

5906 reassembled4.jpeg

Jon.

Reactions: 2 users

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
The Massoth 40mm square-base speaker is good enough,
Jon.
Sorry Jon a bit late with this as you have put the beast together again. But recent thinking with Model Speakers suggest that Sound can come out from Both ends. A slightly better sound effect is obtained by chanelling that by one end having a Sound Box perhaps like a HiFi Speaker. This could be obtained by putting say an old Lid of some sort on top as you show the Speaker on the refit. If you pull it apart again might be worth a try. Got this gen from a US Model Railway Mag.
JonD

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
Sorry Jon a bit late with this as you have put the beast together again. But recent thinking with Model Speakers suggest that Sound can come out from Both ends. A slightly better sound effect is obtained by chanelling that by one end having a Sound Box perhaps like a HiFi Speaker. This could be obtained by putting say an old Lid of some sort on top as you show the Speaker on the refit. If you pull it apart again might be worth a try. Got this gen from a US Model Railway Mag.
JonD

I've done that on other loco installs where there is room, JonD - I've used spray-can lids as sound chambers over large speakers like the Visaton FRS7 (when installing in something like a 2095 or a V51, where there is oodles of space) - in the case of the 5906 the space is very tight, mainly due to the boiler being a length of steel pipe with only certain areas of it cut away underneath, and trying to put anything over the speaker would most likely have got in the way of the wiring and other gubbins...... the sound is actually OK, as the boiler pipe itself provides a reasonable backing for the speaker even though it's not completely sealed.

Jon.