A new soldering iron.

Sarah Winfield

Registered
20 Jun 2016
Dorset
Best answers
Country flag
I have never been able to solder. It's just one of those things. I've watched people solder and I've bought the same iron but for some reason, my results simply do not compare favourably with others.
Recently I needed to solder some steps to my Accucraft B4. The steps are now attached with a 12BA screw.
At least they are attached securely.

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
My suggestion would be a temperature controlled iron up to about 50w, this should sort the smaller stuff out, and 80 - 100w iron for the track. However if you have never soldered the golden rule is "cleanliness is next to goodliness". So ensure everything is clean, use the correct flux, (and clean off corrosive flux when used), use the correct temperature, use the correct bit type. Professionals make it look easy, it is not, and if soldering a board it is easy to de-laminate the board and make it useless.
So do you really want to just pile in :)

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
I saw the thread come up again, and looked at the opening post. Stockers wanted a good tip for a soldering iron - how did I miss that one? :devil::devil::devil:

Soldering brass or nickel silver models requires a different approach to soldering electrical connections.

Especially so, if you're trying to solder details onto a brass model which itself has been soldered together.

Liquid flux helps, and it's best (but not absolutely necessary) to use a flux that is designed for the particular metal in question, but a low melt solder will ensure that you don't end up weakening the nearby solder joints of the model.

I have done the odd repair like this, and in a semi-commercial situation. By the time your soldering finishing details, I'd be tempted to use 80 degree solder (the sort you'd normally use for white metal) and a liquid flux (there are still some available, and some distributors will deal mail order).

AMuller396

Registered
29 Oct 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
Hi,

A single soldering iron will not do both these jobs - soldering wire to garden rr track and working on decoders. It takes a tremendous amount of concentrated heat to solder to track. The same heat will destroy a decoder.

Are you sure you want to solder your signal and turnout decoder leads to the track? I think you'd be happier and better off in the long run if you use "eyes" on rail clamps like those available from Split-Jaw to tap the rails for DCC signal/power. 1/2 length code 332 power connector clamp set | www.RAILCLAMP.com.

Thank you for the suggestion I’ll take a look at those.

EDIT:

If I go this route with the rail clamp do you need to solder the wire to the connector, I know it says you can crimp it, but what do people suggest for longevity out doors for these wires?

Last edited:
8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
When ever someone revives a thread long dormant, I go back to the beginning and see if it already had good or bad or dated information.

Sarah, you posted on this thread 4 years ago!

As usual, there are a lot of people posting their experiences, but little "information" about why you want a certain wattage, and really the tricks of heat and thermal mass for tricky stuff like soldering a small bit to a large one (wire to track, detail bit to a large brass loco).

Reading back you can pull this out it pieces, but it is over 4 pages.

So my 2 cents:

Spend the money and buy a quality unit for your soldering of wires.
  • temperature controlled
  • temperature readout
  • many options for replacement tips
  • come with stand and tip wiper (wet sponge or the silvery ribbon ball)

For track, you want a physically large tip and attached copper part. You don't need super high wattage, but you need a lot of thermal mass, so as the rail tries to suck all the heat out, the iron has a "store house" of heat to keep the joint at soldering temperature. A big, old ugly thing usually works great.

Another thing that works great for track is a "gun" which is basically a transformer and the tip is the transformer output, they can make a lot of heat. The downside is they are pretty uncontrollable, so you have to get used to it, but some have dual temperatures and you might find one where you don't have to modulate the switch on and off.

Early someone in the thread suggested a gas powered iron. They indeed heat fast, and you can modulate the temperature easily. But you have no idea what the temperature is. The biggest drawback is the heat from the flame and sometimes the flame itself is usually exhausted sideways, and you can burn stuff up off to the side easily, please ask me how I know.. I do have one, but I use it for very specialized cases, like pinpoint heating the axle screws on Aristo loco that are slathered with red loctite.

Greg

phils2um

Phil S
11 Sep 2015
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
If I go this route with the rail clamp do you need to solder the wire to the connector, I know it says you can crimp it, but what do people suggest for longevity out doors for these wires?
Yes, it is best to solder the wire to the eye. What I usually do is dip stripped wire end into a bit of paste flux for electronics then crimp it in the eye. It is much easier to solder the already crimped connection. You don't need four hands! You can then dab on some "liquid electric tape" after soldering if you are concerned about moisture wicking up multi-strand wire. I'm far from a soldering artiste but this method works for me.

I have rail clamps on all the joints on my RR so most often there are regular rail clamps I can attach eyes to very near my turnout and uncoupler decoders. Therefor, I don't need to resort to the purpose made clamps in the Split-Jaw link I provided. Also, I have regular Split-Jaw brass rail clamps that I've cut with a carbide cutoff wheel to make two wire clamps like those in the link If I need them. I bought the correct size non-insulated crimp-on eyes in bulk from an electronics supply house. The eyes are very cheap purchased that way. Just pennies apiece and I'll never run out!

Last edited:

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Thank you for the suggestion I’ll take a look at those.

EDIT:

What I tend to do with wire for rail clamps is to wind a bit that has sufficient wire stripped round a screwdriver to create a loop. Solder that then thread a clamp screw to that before fitting the screws in the clamp. This stood me well over the DCC years in the Garden from 2000 to 2019ish on my 2 lines during that time. It does not hurt to cover the wire with Graphite Paste and also ensure that the soldering goes to the insulating wire melting the start of it to help stop the wires from being tarnished inside the insulation..

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Yes, it is best to solder the wire to the eye. What I usually do is dip stripped wire end into a bit of paste flux for electronics then crimp it in the eye. It is much easier to solder the already crimped connection. You don't need four hands! You can then dab on some "liquid electric tape" after soldering if you are concerned about moisture wicking up multi-strand wire. I'm far from a soldering artiste but this method works for me.

I have rail clamps on all the joints on my RR so most often there are regular rail clamps I can attach eyes to very near my turnout and uncoupler decoders. Therefor, I don't need to resort to the purpose made clamps in the Split-Jaw link I provided. Also, I have regular Split-Jaw brass rail clamps that I've cut with a carbide cutoff wheel to make two wire clamps like those in the link If I need them. I bought the correct size non-insulated crimp-on eyes in bulk from an electronics supply house. The eyes are very cheap purchased that way. Just pennies apiece and I'll never run out!
Yep, I solder crimped connections. You do need a bit of heat because of the coating on the connectors. I have a controllable iron, upto 50w max, but for this sort of thing I use a different iron that has two settings, 40w or 80w, and soldering these connectors needs the 80w.

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
You can then dab on some "liquid electric tape" after soldering if you are concerned about moisture wicking up multi-strand wire
A bit of heat shrink would work

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
Actually, heat shrink is not as good seal as the liquid tape, if what you have is not smooth with no imperfections moisture will still wick in.

Liquid tape is definitely preferred, have tried both and over 10 years, it is best. It would be better to have nothing otherwise (the heat shrink will have a little "capsule" to hold moisture.

Greg

phils2um

Phil S
11 Sep 2015
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
and soldering these connectors needs the 80w.
I use an inexpensive 25 watt Weller pencil type soldering iron which works just fine for most of my electric/electronic soldering needs including soldering eyes on the ends of wire. Clean wire and flux help immensely.

GAP

G Scale Trains, HO Trains, 1:1 Sugar Cane trains
14 Jun 2011
Bundaberg Queensland, Australia
Country
Australia
ringbalin-light-railway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
Actually, heat shrink is not as good seal as the liquid tape, if what you have is not smooth with no imperfections moisture will still wick in.

Liquid tape is definitely preferred, have tried both and over 10 years, it is best. It would be better to have nothing otherwise (the heat shrink will have a little "capsule" to hold moisture.

Greg
I use 2 wall heat shrink and it forms a very good water tight seal.
I have some wire connections that are in an area that gets wet 3 times a week and so far there is no issue.

AMuller396

Registered
29 Oct 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
When ever someone revives a thread long dormant, I go back to the beginning and see if it already had good or bad or dated information.

Sarah, you posted on this thread 4 years ago!

As usual, there are a lot of people posting their experiences, but little "information" about why you want a certain wattage, and really the tricks of heat and thermal mass for tricky stuff like soldering a small bit to a large one (wire to track, detail bit to a large brass loco).

Reading back you can pull this out it pieces, but it is over 4 pages.

So my 2 cents:

Spend the money and buy a quality unit for your soldering of wires.
  • temperature controlled
  • temperature readout
  • many options for replacement tips
  • come with stand and tip wiper (wet sponge or the silvery ribbon ball)

For track, you want a physically large tip and attached copper part. You don't need super high wattage, but you need a lot of thermal mass, so as the rail tries to suck all the heat out, the iron has a "store house" of heat to keep the joint at soldering temperature. A big, old ugly thing usually works great.

Another thing that works great for track is a "gun" which is basically a transformer and the tip is the transformer output, they can make a lot of heat. The downside is they are pretty uncontrollable, so you have to get used to it, but some have dual temperatures and you might find one where you don't have to modulate the switch on and off.

Early someone in the thread suggested a gas powered iron. They indeed heat fast, and you can modulate the temperature easily. But you have no idea what the temperature is. The biggest drawback is the heat from the flame and sometimes the flame itself is usually exhausted sideways, and you can burn stuff up off to the side easily, please ask me how I know.. I do have one, but I use it for very specialized cases, like pinpoint heating the axle screws on Aristo loco that are slathered with red loctite.

Greg
Sir, if you where to buy one today which one would you get that hits all the bullet points you mentioned?

Thanks

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
I would buy the Hakko brand, well distributed, good range of tips, not too expensive.

That is my backup. I use Pace myself, but too expensive for most hobbiests

My really precision stuff is a Metcal MX series:

Greg