A new soldering iron.

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
Any tips please. I have an elderly unit which works pretty well but I cant keep the tip clean and it's a bit large. No idea what power it is.

This is for electrical work, very basic - so what power? Do I want a thermo controlled one? Is 7 quid really enough to spend or should I look higher? Tip size/material.
Thanks in anticipation.

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Few issues here.

Cleaning Tip I use one of those Metal
Kings kitchen Cleaners in a circle sort of metal holder, an old circle baccy tin would work fine.

As for Electrical work ( not rail
related) a smallish one will do fine.

Lidl and Aldi have been doing Irons recently with adjustable Temperature, if available ideal for a lot of more general work for not massive costs.

If your current one solders to LGB Track suggest you keep it and perhaps hunt for a new/spare bit from perhaps Maplin or even your local Car spares painty dealer.

stockers

24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
'Smallish' - not quite the detail I am after Jon. Thanks.

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
For light (no pun) electrical work 25 watt should be find, medium weight soldering i.e. small brass kits 50 watt, LGB track, never soldered it but would think at least 100 watt

Reactions: 2 users

ntpntpntp

Registered
24 Oct 2009
UK
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
stockers stockers Post a piccie of what (watt?) you have now - maybe someone will recognise and can advise re it's power and sources of new tips?

I carry an Antex 25 watt in my tool box, but I use a Maplin 50 watt soldering station (adjustable temperature) when I'm at my workbench. I recently bought a cheap cordless Parkside iron from Lidl for a tenner - it's actually not bad for small work. I like it enough to have bought spare tips from Germany for it, cost more then the iron itself!

Reactions: 1 user

mike

Master at annoying..
Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Rossendale
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Mine was from aldi...variable temp 25 watt ect...just for wireing not rail joints ...

Slawman

Deckline
9 Apr 2018
Sydney
Best answers
Country flag
I suggest you consider a butane powered option. Depending on your choice of product you have the ability to wind the temperature up and down depending on what you are doing. I prefer this option as it is very easy to work anywhere on the track without cords going everywhere. I got mine from Aldi super cheap. It will solder G scale rails or delicate electronics based on the tip you screw in. This is the same type I bought from Aldi. I have given it a beating and it keeps coming back:

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Gas-Sol...m=183246770735&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

Here's another from HK:

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/HS-1115...304450&hash=item441aea8d56:g:vBYAAOSw-8paV1YU

Last edited:

Michael

Registered
26 Jan 2010
Best answers
Country flag
I would suggest a 48 Watt temperature controlled soldering would be suitable for most Garden Railway requirements. I have one of these and have soldered surface mounted components and connected wires to Peco 250 code track though I mostly use it for general PCB work. I'm sure it will also handle LGB track as well.

Mine has a digital display and is similar to this one from Farnell.

http://cpc.farnell.com/duratool/zd-929c-89-2934/soldering-station-digi-esd-bs/dp/SD01117?st=48w soldering stations

However, there is one from Adli at the moment with a 3 year guarantee. Not such good quality but cheap.

https://www.aldi.co.uk/p/0831842018...gclsrc=aw.ds&dclid=COWN2IGes9sCFdS3GwodV8QF_Q

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
The ALdi one...
FOUR MINUTES to heat up!!

I can't be doing with waiting that long!! ;):giggle::giggle:

ge_rik

British narrow gauge (esp. Southwold and W&LLR)
24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
www.riksrailway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
For general soldering, I use the temperature controlled iron from Maplin. I think it's about 50W. What I like is having ceramic bits. Much easier to keep clean than copper bits and they are easily changeable if I want to do precision work and then want solder some bits of brass together. I've also used it with low melt solder to construct a whitemetal kit.

Of course, Maplin is no more, but this one looks the same.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Eagle-48...374443&hash=item41d744f0a4:g:khQAAOSwVF1aQDdJ

Rik

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag

Alan

What do you mean by 'electrical work'?

The one you have linked to is a bit big for inside loco's, and a bit small for track-bonding..

For 'electrical', rather than 'electronic' work, it will probably be fine..

For a single temperature iron, for general train electronics, I would buy an Antex 18W or possibly 25W iron.. For rail-bonding, probably an 'instant heat' soldering gun? - Though you can't really beat a 120W 'stick' for that sort of thing..
For electronics, then I would go for a controlled iron, like those linked too..

HTH?
PhilP.

Reactions: 1 user

stockers

24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
I mean the small stuff Phil - electronics. Wiring locos and playing around with components - see the Coach lighting buffer thread. My existing iron will do the bigger stuff despite its age!

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
I mean the small stuff Phil - electronics. Wiring locos and playing around with components - see the Coach lighting buffer thread. My existing iron will do the bigger stuff despite its age!

If you don't do hours per day.. An Antex will be as good as anything..
If you can be 'in and out' on the smaller stuff, get the 25W, else if you tend to be in there for some time with the iron, then the 18W..

stockers

24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
I just jumped in - all of 8 pounds worth on fleabay. A Silverline 25W jobbie.

D

Deleted member 4232

Moved

Last edited by a moderator:

stockers

24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
I'll see how I get on. Might yet spend a few few more bob on one.

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
I trade-up to one of these when the previous Maplin unit failed after three months. - On about six hours a day, mind..

shopping

(picture courtesy of Google and Farnell / CPC)

I now have a complete spare in the cupboard, as well as bits, element, and a complete handle/cable assembly.. - Being 'ironless' is not an option!
They are available cheaper than Farnell, if you shop around..

ntpntpntp

Registered
24 Oct 2009
UK
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
Can't say I'd heard of Silverline before (other than as a charity for old folk), but the 25W looks like the right sort of size.

stockers

24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Chinese brand Nick