A Garrat 2-8-8-2 from 2 Bachmann Consolidations updated 30/11/13

Woderwick

Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club
24 Oct 2009
Ia Drang Valley
www.gtrains.co.uk
Best answers
Re:Congar anyone. 2-8-8-2 project

Thanks rik, but really it's just pig-headedness, also when I built the K-27 there was no rtr job ( AFAIK)

beavercreek

Travel, Art, Theatre, Music, Photography, Trains
24 Oct 2009
Colchester, United Kingdom
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag

Woderwick said:
Thanks rik, but really it's just pig-headedness, also when I built the K-27 there was no rtr job ( AFAIK)
Maybe the Accucraft one? The K27 was one of the first locos that they produced. but not sure when you began yours Rod, you probably predated even Accucraft.
In any case your bashes and scratches are always exemplary and an inspiration.

Woderwick

Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club
24 Oct 2009
Ia Drang Valley
www.gtrains.co.uk
Best answers

Woderwick

Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club
24 Oct 2009
Ia Drang Valley
www.gtrains.co.uk
Best answers

Increased the boiler diameter by 8 mm and it's done the trick. Does n't look much different in the photos when compared to the previous page, but it does look right now. The only other option was to narrow the boiler frame, but that would upset the relationship with the tanks.

con-gar2882-cradle4.jpg

This is prob the best shot for comparison purposes with the original concept. That's do for now I think, plenty of other stuff to get on with, tanks etc. I think I'll make it an oil burner.

con-gar2882-cradle5.jpg

3Valve

Railways; Air cooled VW's; Soul Music
24 Oct 2009
Shropshire
Best answers
Country flag

Ooh looking forward to seeing this built mate :clap::clap::clap:

Woderwick

Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club
24 Oct 2009
Ia Drang Valley
www.gtrains.co.uk
Best answers

Hmmmmm, yunno I think it's heading for a 2-8-2 2-8-2 the more I try it on the R3s here.

CoggesRailway

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Best answers

Man this looks awesome.... keep the progress coming.

Doug

Live Steam, scratch building
24 Oct 2009
West Herts
Best answers
Country flag

mmmmm ... wheels .....

148bc3a335064ce786bfd54784c1e9a8.jpg

Woderwick

Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club
24 Oct 2009
Ia Drang Valley
www.gtrains.co.uk
Best answers

Did some more work on the boiler chassis today. This is going to be a bruiser, so it needs to be strong. Some pics of the frames being rivetted up and the underside of the chassis. The self tappers will come out in favour of rivets when I am satisfied it's all OK. The two long black screws you can see hold the boiler to the frames, the go about an inch into the inner rings, so that's not going anywhere.

con-gar2882-cradle6.jpg

con-gar2882-cradle7.jpg

con-gar2882-cradle8.jpg

The frames are actually square, this is just the camera-phone taking the ....
L8r

funandtrains

Registered
20 Sep 2011
Croydon, Surrey
Best answers
Country flag

It is looking like it will be a very substantial and weighty beast! Have you considered buying more powerful motors?

robsmorgan

Registered
5 Feb 2010
Ceredigion, Mid Wales, UK
Best answers
Re:Garrat 2-8-8-2 project from Bachmann Consolidation

T'is going very well indeed :admire::admire::admire: - enjoying following your project :clap:

Rob

Woderwick

Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club
24 Oct 2009
Ia Drang Valley
www.gtrains.co.uk
Best answers

funandtrains said:
It is looking like it will be a very substantial and weighty beast! Have you considered buying more powerful motors?

The whole lot will weigh less than the originals, so no.

funandtrains

Registered
20 Sep 2011
Croydon, Surrey
Best answers
Country flag

The connies are known for being under-powered and there are or were suppliers in the US selling direct fit higher quality motors. With all the effort you are putting in It might be worth spending a bit more to get something really special.

Woderwick

Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club
24 Oct 2009
Ia Drang Valley
www.gtrains.co.uk
Best answers

Personally, have not found that to be the case. In my experience there are some that place unrealistically long trains behind what is in reality a small loco. This may contribute to a perceived lack of power.

I am attempting to keep to the original power to weight as I want the loco to slip before it stalls. If that happens then all a more powerful motor will achieve is to hasten the demise of the gear train.

Regards.

R

Woderwick

Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club
24 Oct 2009
Ia Drang Valley
www.gtrains.co.uk
Best answers

Ok today's stuff. I have been spending a lot of time scouring Garrat material because it's as easy as a falling off a log to get the key proportions wrong. (at the risk of repeating myself) 

Specifically, but not limited to;
[*]The placement of the boiler chassis pivot points.[*]The relationship of the boiler size to the amount of axles and size of cylinders.[*]Placement of the bunker unit and forward water tank (Neil Robinson mentioned earlier about plonking the front unit hard up against the smoke box, so the door cant be opened.)  There is more, but that will do for this bit.

First up the addition of some plasticard to the alloy chassis so I can glue the firebox and ash-pan bits on later. 2mm black styrene.

con-gar2882-cradle9.jpg

Here is one of the drive units with a pivot point installed, it's in the same place on both ends. Bit of 10mm PVC facia with an alloy top. Its screwed to the chassis through the same holes that hold the pick-up plunger bushes in place.
con-gar2882-cradle10.jpg

Here is a milestone, the first time the 3 units have been connected with the pivots and tested for travel on an R3 curve. Works a treat. Oh and Rik, clean up your bench mate. :D

con-gar2882-cradle11.jpg

Now to add the boiler and check how we look.
con-gar2882-cradle12.jpg

Front

con-gar2882-pivot1.jpg

Back

con-gar2882-pivot2.jpg

I think that'll do me. Raining hard here to day, I'll take it outside and do some batter shots later. Getting near beer o' clock now.

beavercreek

Travel, Art, Theatre, Music, Photography, Trains
24 Oct 2009
Colchester, United Kingdom
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag

Now, this is becoming something really special...........

CoggesRailway

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Best answers

Yes this really is super. I am particularly interested in your Garrett proportion rules/thoughts. I am actually building one at the moment (though i am afraid, it doesn't compare to this!). I am finding it doesn't quite look right, it needs a bigger boiler for a start. its meant to be narrow gauge and i think i have it all to low, and so it looks long, and therefore more like. 1.32

Woderwick

Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club
24 Oct 2009
Ia Drang Valley
www.gtrains.co.uk
Best answers

Well, thanks for the thoughts, the great thing about getting to this stage is that is that I can now sort out the front and rear superstructure, now that is going to be fun.

philg

Registered
28 Nov 2009
Best answers
Country flag

Really enjoying this thread. Your photographs illustrate so well why the Garratt made such an excellent "vehicle", and it's clear that you attention to proportion is going to pay off in the finished model. A couple of questions -
About what scale do you envisage the finished model being ?
Do you intend to alter the cylinders to piston valves ? Virtually all Garratts were so equipped.
I admire your bravery in posting "real time" progress - with my sort of two steps forward and one step back modelling I wouldn't dare !
Greatly looking forward to more.

Phil