A Garrat 2-8-8-2 from 2 Bachmann Consolidations updated 30/11/13

Woderwick

Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club
24 Oct 2009
Ia Drang Valley
www.gtrains.co.uk
Best answers
It's been a while since I made anything.
Connie-Garret what if? This is a very crude conceptual image.
con-gar2882.jpg

Something like this. I was going to do a 3 driving axle version, but the horns on the flange-less wheels are too
close to swap axles 3 and 4 over. It’s possible, but more work than I was prepared to entertain as it’s a fictional loco.
Thanks go to Roly (55.5) and Garry Martin for the sacrificial lambs.

First up chassis mods.
Cut out the fire box. (ALDI Reciprocating saw on slowmo with metal blade.)
Swap the counterbalances on axles 2 and 3 Swap the motion around so that the front is now where the firebox was.
This is necessary because left as was the motor is in the way. The pivot point needs to be right over the 3rd axle.
(seen too many “freelance models” that have the boiler assembly hanging off the end of the drive units, looks weird.)
This will require drilling and tapping the chassis, no great shakes tho.
This is a comparison, the asis is on the bottom.

con-gar2882-1.jpg

That’s it for now, it’s beer o’ clock

garrymartin

My Family,Railways, Beer and the Seaside
30 Oct 2009
Now Derbyshire !
Best answers
Country flag
Re:Congar anyone. 2-8-8-2 project

From your mock up she looks a handsome engine , which is something I never thought I would think about a Garratt :thinking:

Neil Robinson

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N W Leicestershire
Best answers
Country flag

Woderwick said:
The pivot point needs to be right over the 3rd axle. (seen too many “freelance models” that have the boiler assembly hanging off the end of the drive units, looks weird.)

That looks very impressive, :clap: looking forward to seeing the finished item.
Regarding the quoted extract, I couldn't agree more. Another personal niggle is failing to leave enough space to open the smokebox door.
0cfa9ce0e1d2487186a76d311168d651.jpg

coyote97

RR, technical things, 4x4
9 Dec 2009
southern Germany
Best answers

this bash looks very fine!
Makes a strong puller and has the expression of a real garratt.

Like it!

:)

Greetings

Frank

funandtrains

Registered
20 Sep 2011
Croydon, Surrey
Best answers
Country flag

I would get a fatter boiler otherwise looks great. Perhaps get some 68mm gutter down pipe and some GRS 2 1/2" gauge smokebox and boiler fittings.

CoggesRailway

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Best answers

I think that looks the danglys. I am in project on a 2 6 2 2 6 2 which will use a connie boiler. I guess with a 2 8 2 2 8 2 it might need a bigger bolier. but in short what a beast that will be!!!

JRinTawa

Member of the Wellington Garden Railway Group
25 Oct 2009
Tawa
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers

Promising, very promising indeed. :clap:

Woderwick

Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club
24 Oct 2009
Ia Drang Valley
www.gtrains.co.uk
Best answers

As mentioned earlier I needed to make some new holes to secure the relocated motion. Here is a shot of a rather delicate 2mm
tap doing its stuff.

con-gar2882-tap.jpg

Next was to remove the old pilot deck as it not required.
After that I had to make some more mods to the chassis

con-gar2882-gash.jpg

Reduce the frame width where the old grate was, so as to accommodate the cylinder mount.(dotted)
Fit and check the motion brackets to the new holes (circled)
Cut away a chassis cross-member, rear motion bracket and the cut-off link that spans the chassis. This is so the motor can be
mounted at an angle. To leave it as was in the vertical position would compromise the tender and tank tops and would probably
make them look odd if I had to make them unrealistically tall.
con-gar2882-Xcut.jpg

So here is the story so far. The two main stumbling blocks of the motor interfering with the boiler mount and the prohibitive height
of the motor have been addressed.
con-gar2882-motor.jpg

Huzzah!

Woderwick

Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club
24 Oct 2009
Ia Drang Valley
www.gtrains.co.uk
Best answers

Motor mount completed and reversing gear now reconnected around the sloping motor.

con-gar2882-mount3.jpg

Close up of the motor mount which uses the same fixings on the motion bracket that retain the transverse reverser rod. It has 2 purposes, to strengthen the motion bracket where it was cut and to restrict the amount of motor movement caused by the suspension working.

You can see the longer bolts (alright then, set screws) protruding though the bracket from the rear. The upturned U is part of the reverser linkage

con-gar2882-mount.jpg

Last two pics are to illustrate how the reverser works around the gearbox. The two brass sleeves on the rod are glued and then pinned. First shot forward gear and the second shot reversed, depending on which way the push me pull you is running.

con-gar2882-rev2.jpg

con-gar2882-revt.jpg

"But Iv'e nevver sin anythin' like in my life"

whatlep

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers

Loving this thread Wod. Great bit of bashing. :clap:

JonathanJ

South African Railways, Garratts, PRR.
24 Oct 2009
Tyne and Wear
Best answers

May/maynot be of interest, but in 1/22.5, the Connie block are damn close to Burma Rlys 2-8-0+0-8-2, except for the fact that they're outside frame. How do I know this? Back in the day, I worked it out, fancied a Burmese garratt on RTR running gear, but mused loudly over the problem of the wrong kind of frames. And there was this guy on a US forum who said converting a connie to inside frames was no problem - he could help out and supply parts. So I bought a couple of Connies, and then I found out he'd never actually seen one, less still done the conversion..

http://mikes.railhistory.railfan.ne...ww.flickr.com/photos/12906273@N05/2333313011/ < Link To http://www.flickr.com/pho...906273@N05/2333313011/

I don't have drawings, but I'd imagine MOSI can sell you some - if you're interested, I'd guess the BP works numbers are in Durrant, and that I have a copy of. They're also pretty close to the derived 2-8-2+2-8-2 types (ordered by BR in the late 30's but actually built for the WD by the time the drawings were finished), but again those were inside frame.
http://orion.math.iastate.edu/jdhsmith/term/slgbwd282LG.jpg < Link To http://orion.math.iastate...h/term/slgbwd282LG.jpg

But it definitely needs a fatter boiler.

J.

Woderwick

Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club
24 Oct 2009
Ia Drang Valley
www.gtrains.co.uk
Best answers

Second chassis moded.

con-gar2882-drive.jpg

Boiler mock up. It's about 30% bigger than the stock Connie

con-gar2882-boiler.jpg

beavercreek

Travel, Art, Theatre, Music, Photography, Trains
24 Oct 2009
Colchester, United Kingdom
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag

This is just great. A consummate basher doing his stuff. :clap::clap:
The only trouble is that it makes me feel like my attempts are in the stone age or like a three year old's!

Woderwick

Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club
24 Oct 2009
Ia Drang Valley
www.gtrains.co.uk
Best answers

Picked up a piece of extractor fan tube for £1.29 today 350 X 100 mm. Here is a shot of the boiler carcass, the pipe has been reduced to 86 mm OD. Seems about right from some mental arithmetic to be in the 1.22.5 area. Of course the loco will still be a metre across the tracks as opposed to 3ft, but then so is my K27, so I'll live with it. The screw holes are where some self tappers were fitted whilst the cyano set.
con-gar2882-bc3.jpg

Internal reinforcement from the firebox end looking forwards. More to be added yet.

con-gar2882-bc2.jpg

Plonked on the drive units, and bearing in mind that it's a bit low due no cradle, I think it's about right. Time will tell.

con-gar2882-bc.jpg

ge_rik

British narrow gauge (esp. Southwold and W&LLR)
24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
www.riksrailway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag

Interesting watching it develop. Your problem solving and construction skills are a heck of a lot more developed than mine - but it's very reassuring to see your workbench resembles mine during a build - even down to the radio. I tend to have R4 on non-stop, even if it's something I'm only half listening to (eg Woman's Hour)

Rik

Woderwick

Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club
24 Oct 2009
Ia Drang Valley
www.gtrains.co.uk
Best answers

More progress. Made up 2 more reinforcing rings out of down-pipe to keep the boiler rigid, these also serve as a retainer for the weights. Two weights bolted together with the original stud from the loco, with a piece of 16 mm facia make a perfect fit for the ID on the 68 mm down-pipe.

Here is one set of rings, the outside is slotted so it fits in to the boiler aligned along the lapped joint. A similar one was made for the other end of the weight. It then was slid inside and secured with a screw under. Again this is from the original loco.

con-gar2882-weight.jpg

con-gar2882-weight2.jpg

Made up the boiler cradle and tried the bit for a fit.
con-gar2882-cradle.jpg

con-gar2882-cradle2.jpg

Conclusion, the boiler needs another 10mm added to the diameter. It still looks just a bit undersized. I'll probably slit it down the underside.

A bit like gutting a halibut.

ge_rik

British narrow gauge (esp. Southwold and W&LLR)
24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
www.riksrailway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag

Wod

Just been reading through your web pages describing previous loco builds. Wow!! In some ways I wish I'd read them all through before I started my last scratch-build - but in other ways I'm glad I didn't as I doubt my modelling skills will ever reach your standard. The motion you constructed for the Connie K-27 is really impressive. In this case I think our transatlantic cousins have it right - "Awesome!"

Really looking forward to following the progress of this build. Thanks for sharing.

Rik
PS Thanks for the guidance on how to do embossed riveting in plasticard btw