voodoopenguin

Retired
20 Jul 2015
Blofield, Norfolk
Country
Norfolk-Island
Best answers
Country flag
First off this is not about anything G scale so apologies for that but I have noted from discussions in the Coffee Lounge that several here now own 3D printers. As like many in these interesting times we have been doing much sorting out and not for the first time we came across my wife's Sindy MGB from her childhood. Well loved and definitely playworn it is missing its windscreen, steering wheel and rear bumper. They don't matter too much but it is also missing one wheel and that will prevent the grandchildren playing with it like my wife would wish. Two of the other three wheels have cracks in them so a complete new set would be wonderful. I have searched for spare parts however have drawn a blank but then thought that as its a single piece of plastic is that the sort of thing that lends itself to being printed. The diameter is just over 70mm. The missing clip on hubcap is also unnecessary for playing. How do you go about working out the instructions to give a printer? Do you need special tools and/or software to create them? The idea of a 3d printer does interest me but at present I'm not sure I can justify the money, time or space involved. Any thoughts or maybe even an offer?

Paul

P1080011.jpg

P1080012.jpg

P1080013.jpg

P1080014.jpg

Last edited:

mike

Master at annoying..
Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Rossendale
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Try looking on thingyverse. Try. Wheel.. Find something suitable, and then we can help..

mike

Master at annoying..
Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Rossendale
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag

mike

Master at annoying..
Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Rossendale
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Is that any good

voodoopenguin

Retired
20 Jul 2015
Blofield, Norfolk
Country
Norfolk-Island
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks for the response Mike. The Mousetrap Car Wheel is not exactly right, I can probably find some toy car wheels around that would do. Not knowing much about this 3d printing fun I guess I was expecting too much. Maybe one day we will be able to scan an original item and churn out exact copies!

Cheers

Paul

mike

Master at annoying..
Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Rossendale
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
It's do able Paul.. And yes there are scanners out there, I don't have 1 yet..

The Shed

Citizen of the Republic of the North East.
8 Mar 2020
Darlington, County Durham.
Country
England
Best answers

LGB-Sid

Registered
19 Sep 2016
UK
Best answers
Country flag

Get big one Mike so you can do full Body scans, then we can all be on one anothers station platforms :)

Reactions: 1 user

mike

Master at annoying..
Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Rossendale
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Teleporting..., cloning,.. Time travel, when do we want them..

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Hm I seam to remember somewhere a while back somewhere that did geeky things that there is a 3d app for the iPhone. Yes this search:-

3d scanning iphone

found loads, not sure what they will be like but as they mostly appear to be free what is to loose?

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
There was an article in RM about a model railway, I think 0 gauge, where the lady operator had been scanned for a 3D printer and was present, in model form, on her own layout :think::think:

........... and for the record, she was fully clothed, in a '50s style outfit :nod::nod:

Northsider

Modelling the Northern half of the Isle of Man
3 May 2012
Hertfordshire
Best answers
Country flag
We've got a 3D scanner at work. The person who bought it then left, and none of us has had the time/inclination to learn how to use it. Gathering dust in a store room and probably the equivalent of a 0.5 megapixel camera by now. Remember those?

mike

Master at annoying..
Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Rossendale
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
The $30 3D scanner V7 updates by daveyclk - Thingiverse

musket the dog

Registered
31 Oct 2009
Leicester
nlrr.webs.com
Best answers
Hi Paul,

I might be able to help, would you have some pictures of the parts and the car so we could see what exactly we're trying to do? (Just to say, I have seen that there are some pictures attached to the post, but all I'm getting is three different pictures of window frames?)

I'm quite familiar with MGBs outside of the computer, I don't think that the bumpers, wheels, glass would be too difficult to create 3D models of. I could pass you the files back to send to another member or order online then. The easiest way to get the sizes exactly right would be if you could send the model on to me to measure, but I can totally understand that you might not want to be sending sentimental objects to strangers on the internet (assuming you're in the UK too). If not, I could probably have a go at the wheels and steering wheel if you have a rough idea of the scale of the model?

Without having the exisiting parts, or a scanner for the wheels you're other option would be to get hold of some CAD software and have a go yourself, I (and others I'm sure) would be happy to help learn the techniques :)

No offence taken either way, if it is something you could be interested in drop me a PM :)

Many thanks,
Ricky

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag

Sort the Time-Travel, and the 'when' becomes irrelevant! :eek: :D :D :D

voodoopenguin

Retired
20 Jul 2015
Blofield, Norfolk
Country
Norfolk-Island
Best answers
Country flag
Now that was very weird, those pictures of window frames are nothing to do with me! Maybe the recent forum hiccup screwed up something as when first posted the post did show my photos. I will now put the originals back.

Paul

I might be able to help, would you have some pictures of the parts and the car so we could see what exactly we're trying to do? (Just to say, I have seen that there are some pictures attached to the post, but all I'm getting is three different pictures of window frames?)

Degauss

Registered
9 Jun 2017
Australia
Best answers
Country flag
The wheel is just geometry and is easier to draw from scratch than a 3d scan. A 3d scan requires lots of photos and the wheel does not have many unique features for the software to lock onto thus, you are likely to just get a cloud of points. (www.youtube.com/watch?v=0WTns1ItVss).

I roughed out a quick 3d model. It took me an hour (I'm not very good) but that was for 3 redraws until it looked sorts right. As I don't know the size it is just pure guesswork.

Attachments

• Sindy MGB Wheel.jpg
    Sindy MGB Wheel.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 0

voodoopenguin

Retired
20 Jul 2015
Blofield, Norfolk
Country
Norfolk-Island
Best answers
Country flag
The wheel is just geometry and is easier to draw from scratch than a 3d scan. A 3d scan requires lots of photos and the wheel does not have many unique features for the software to lock onto thus, you are likely to just get a cloud of points. (www.youtube.com/watch?v=0WTns1ItVss).

I roughed out a quick 3d model. It took me an hour (I'm not very good) but that was for 3 redraws until it looked sorts right. As I don't know the size it is just pure guesswork.
They look the part, well done. Not sure what can be done with that now. Is it possible for someone to take those drawings and transfer to a 3d program? I think I'm asking too much for that! I think I will leave this now and maybe return when I decide to dip my toe in the 3d printing myself in the future. That Sindy car has had a wheel missing for over 30 years so a bit longer won't matter!

Paul