Chris Vernell

Tortoise
24 Oct 2009
Nepean, ON
Country
Canada
Best answers
Country flag
The joints on resin building need to be FULL of glue. This keeps water and frost out, which is what usually dismantles kits in the winter!
I used thick super glue from the Aero boys - slower to set but fills gaps..
Yup, I've been filling gaps from the outside with epoxy

Reactions: 1 user

Chris Vernell

Tortoise
24 Oct 2009
Nepean, ON
Country
Canada
Best answers
Country flag
Another small step

100_3104 (Copy).JPG
Ready to be joined together this morning

100_3108 (Copy).JPG
And, after I'd recovered from the grocery run :whew:, stuck together. This time I used gap-filling CA, as recommended by Stockers Esq. :nod:
Will reinforce the corners with epoxy.
And then, I think, I shall paint the interior before doing the roofing, etc.

Reactions: 1 users

Chris Vernell

Tortoise
24 Oct 2009
Nepean, ON
Country
Canada
Best answers
Country flag
The joys of translucence. Not sure what I am going to do today.

100_3109 (Copy).JPG
The water tank is not fixed in place yet. That will wait until I've done the painting, inside and out.
100_3110 (Copy).JPG

Chris Vernell

Tortoise
24 Oct 2009
Nepean, ON
Country
Canada
Best answers
Country flag
Slopped on a first coat of light-blocking (I hope :wondering:) black acrylic inside the shed. I'll do a second coat this afternoon. Then a coat or two of white.

100_3128 (Copy).JPG

tac foley

Registered
11 Apr 2017
Near Huntingdon, UK
Best answers
Country flag
You can get the "fancy clamps" from e.g. Hobbycraft £6 for 9. I use them a lot, they have a good grip although weak but you can put several in place to give the grip you need.

I get mine in Charlies, Shotton, for £1.60 for nine - mixed sizes, too.

tac

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
I was looking at the metal frames that clamped the corners of the model, rather than the black plastic jobbies.

Chris Vernell

Tortoise
24 Oct 2009
Nepean, ON
Country
Canada
Best answers
Country flag
Second coat of whitewash -- well, white acrylic -- on the loco shed interior.
100_3140 (Copy).JPG
I don't suppose any real shed was ever that pristine inside -- certainly not after the first loco had chuffed in.
So that's two coats of black and two coats of white, which I hope will minimize light getting through the walls.
Went out this morning and bought several small bottles of outdoor-rated acrylic for the outside of the buildings.

Reactions: 2 users

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Second coat of whitewash -- well, white acrylic -- on the loco shed interior.
View attachment 234323
I don't suppose any real shed was ever that pristine inside -- certainly not after the first loco had chuffed in.
So that's two coats of black and two coats of white, which I hope will minimize light getting through the walls.
Went out this morning and bought several small bottles of outdoor-rated acrylic for the outside of the buildings.
Have you tried proper masonry paint? You can get sample pots of that which seem to work fine

Chris Vernell

Tortoise
24 Oct 2009
Nepean, ON
Country
Canada
Best answers
Country flag
I was looking at the metal frames that clamped the corners of the model, rather than the black plastic jobbies.
I got mine at a train show; they are called right clamps and are available in North America from Micro-Mark https://www.micromark.com .
Could be there is a UK distributor.

Chris Vernell

Tortoise
24 Oct 2009
Nepean, ON
Country
Canada
Best answers
Country flag
First coat on the outside of the loco shed. It was a home brew mix of black and white, probably could've used more white :wondering: (the flash makes it look brighter than it is to the eye). However, there will be a second coat, then umber (and other hues) washes.
100_3145 (Copy).JPG 100_3146 (Copy).JPG
Onward :nerd:

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
a dry brush with white will work well on that dark grey and lighten it at the same time.

Chris Vernell

Tortoise
24 Oct 2009
Nepean, ON
Country
Canada
Best answers
Country flag
a dry brush with white will work well on that dark grey and lighten it at the same time.
Good idea. I'm going to do a second, much lighter grey coat for weather protection before I get into shading and dry brushing. Our summer climate :sweating: can be as brutal in its way as winter :mask:, not that I intend to leave the buildings out in winter.

Chris Vernell

Tortoise
24 Oct 2009
Nepean, ON
Country
Canada
Best answers
Country flag
Second coat, white with umber, sienna and a tad of black mixed in.

100_3148 (Copy).JPG 100_3149 (Copy).JPG

Closer to what I want than the too grey first coat
100_3146 (Copy) (Copy).JPG

Chris Vernell

Tortoise
24 Oct 2009
Nepean, ON
Country
Canada
Best answers
Country flag
The water tank gets its first coat:
100_3164 (Copy).JPG
I did think of trying Light and Dark Stone in acknowledgment of the one true faith :rock:, but the common shade of trim on the Fallowfield Road is green, so I stuck with that.

The loco shed itself got another colour adjustment, since I had paint left over from the station building's second coat.
100_3165 (Copy).JPG
It is now fairly close to the colour of the station, in hopes that that it will suggest the stone came from one quarry, or at least the same area. I intend to pick out some stones with shades of umber and sienna.

Chris Vernell

Tortoise
24 Oct 2009
Nepean, ON
Country
Canada
Best answers
Country flag
Well. after Sunday's sh ... sh ... sho ... :eek: ... no, I cannot speak that word :oops: ...
I sliced up some 60 thou styrene sheet to frame and brace the loco shed doors; the kit supplied no framing material, but I reckoned that as the doors will spend most of their life open, I should enhance their appearance a bit.
100_3170 (Copy).JPG
Now I'm running on styrene cement fumes :drunk:.

beavercreek

Travel, Art, Theatre, Music, Photography, Trains
24 Oct 2009
Colchester, United Kingdom
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag

Chris Vernell

Tortoise
24 Oct 2009
Nepean, ON
Country
Canada
Best answers
Country flag
Checking the fit of the loco shed doors, I discovered that the entry arch was narrower at the bottom than the top, and the doors wouldn't fit. I bought a length of styrene 5/16" square tube, cut it to fit across the top of the arch, then epoxied it across the bottom to square up the entry.
100_3175 (Copy).JPG
The tube is epoxied to a length of 5/16" ABS angle.
100_3171 (Copy).JPG
LGB track will fit over this threshold (I checked ;)).
Black paint will hide it to some extent.

Chris Vernell

Tortoise
24 Oct 2009
Nepean, ON
Country
Canada
Best answers
Country flag
I test-fitted the roof panels and found that there is nothing to support them at the tower end. Not trusting a butt joint, I CA'd a couple of .060 styrene pieces to the underside of the arch to help hold the panels up.
100_3176 (Copy).JPG
Not very exciting, but we progress by nanometres.
I did get the main doors painted, so now we wait while everything sets and dries.

Chris Vernell

Tortoise
24 Oct 2009
Nepean, ON
Country
Canada
Best answers
Country flag
100_3184 (Copy).JPG
Sub-roof is CA'd in place -- nearly stuck my fingers down too :blush:. Took a minor bit of trimming to the styrene sheets and a couple of shims to get them to fit properly against the tower. I am going to make and install a couple of smoke vents at the peak (judging by photos, Tetbury used to have three) before trimming the slate sheets and gooping them to the sub-roof.

Chris Vernell

Tortoise
24 Oct 2009
Nepean, ON
Country
Canada
Best answers
Country flag
Constructed a pair of smoke vents and applied them to the sub-roof.
100_3193 (Copy).JPG
Not sure what I'm going to do about caps. There seem to be 1,001 versions, so I guess anything will have a prototype somewhere.

100_3190 (Copy).JPG
Had some "plank" sheet purchased for another project that I've yet to get around to. Still plenty left.