zman50

Registered
22 Feb 2019
Wisconsin
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
Just purchased a used 1981 European style engine that has a small circuit board on the bottom attached to contact slides and closer to back wheels. It has a small switch with a roller that touches one of the back wheels. IMG_8504.JPGIMG_8504.JPGIMG_8504.JPGIt looks like it was not original to engine and was added on later in its life. I have my track setup to run mostly starter set engines with 1 amp starter set transformer's. I want to test this engine but do not want to cause damage to it. Can anyone tell me what this board may be, and if I can run it on my track setup. Thanks

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
That is hilarious. As the wheel turns, it looks like you have a "wavy washer" that will push the roller in towards the center.

A really crazy type of "chuff switch"....so I assume this loco has sound? Does it have DCC?

Never seen this particular idea, but put a little oil on the roller, they were definitely not designed for this.

Greg

zman50

Registered
22 Feb 2019
Wisconsin
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
Do not think it has sound, as it is just a engine. DCC do not know what that is, and surely do not know if this engine has it. I have not even tried to run this engine that is what my question is can I try it on a regular track. Thanks

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Best answers
Country flag
Do not think it has sound, as it is just a engine. DCC do not know what that is, and surely do not know if this engine has it. I have not even tried to run this engine that is what my question is can I try it on a regular track. Thanks

You could always turn the loco upside down and apply the slightest of power to the skates and see what happens.

zman50

Registered
22 Feb 2019
Wisconsin
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
Ok lets throw this out there. If I have a DCC engine can that engine run on track with a starter set 1 amp transformer, or would that transformer hurt that DCC engine? Thanks

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Not a very basic speedometer or milometer?

Last edited:

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Try it and see...

I would say it is a crude 'chuff' sensor, and there might be some kind of sound card..
You will not 'damage' a DCC fitted model, with a starter set controller.

Run it, and report back.. I am intrigued..

PhilP

zman50

Registered
22 Feb 2019
Wisconsin
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
It runs but not that well. Will have to check amps being used. Hope it is not another bad motor like the circus engine. Now I will have to look at the circus engine replies to see how to check the amps again. Thanks

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
A plain DC Buhler motor, will start rotating at 2-3V..
If you have a decoder, you will need 5-6V on the track, before the electronics 'wakes up'.

PhilP

zman50

Registered
22 Feb 2019
Wisconsin
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
I checked the amps and it was around .45 - .50. Hopefully if I clean it up and put new grease in that number will come down. Seems like it hesitates now and then. Will probably remove that circuit board also, not really sure what that is for. Thanks

Software Tools

Registered
18 Jan 2013
Sydney, Australia
Best answers
Country flag
It is highly likely that the added contraption is adding significant drag to the whole drive mechanism. Personally, I would just remove it.

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Well, those little spring switches don't take an awful lot of effort, and if, as Greg suggested, it was lightly oiled, it's probably not going to make a huge amount of difference.

Let's face it, you've got to give some marks for ingenuity to the bloke who did it - a bit like the APT; achieving a modern solution with outdated engineering ................... :p:p

zman50

Registered
22 Feb 2019
Wisconsin
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
Well after I take it apart to pull the motor out for cleaning, I will take a picture of the board setup. I am thinking that I probably need a speaker in a trailing car to make this sound board (?) work. Thanks

Software Tools

Registered
18 Jan 2013
Sydney, Australia
Best answers
Country flag
Well, those little spring switches don't take an awful lot of effort
There is a reason that that type of roller microswitch switch is NOT used on commercial models. They are typically used in limit switch applications and deliberately need a non-trivial amount of pressure to minimise false activations.

zman50

Registered
22 Feb 2019
Wisconsin
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
There is a reason that that type of roller microswitch switch is NOT used on commercial models. They are typically used in limit switch applications and deliberately need a non-trivial amount of pressure to minimise false activations.
What do you mean by commercial models?

Fred2179G

Registered
20 Apr 2017
USA
Best answers
Country flag
commercial models
I think he's referring to products from model train companies, like LGB.

I also agree with Greg that those switches aren't designed to have the roller turning all the time. The roller can rotate in case the item pushing is not perfectly aligned, but it will probably fail if you spin it under pressure all the time the loco is running.

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
That is a micro switch, it takes very little pressure. Unless the roller is seized, that is not your main issue.

I would open the loco first and determine if I wanted to preserve the sound system (pretty sure it has one)...

to debug the running, I would pull the board off to just eliminate it mechanically.

If it was me, I would get rid of it, use a modern sound system with autochuff, no mechanical chuff switch.

Greg