08 Shunter

Monty

Registered
16 Apr 2018
Springwood, NSW, Australia
Best answers
Country flag
I too am a G1MRA member and can concur with your recommendation. The magazine is a credit to the group, its editor and all those that submit articles. Great stuff!
Monty

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Good grief. I thought I had sorted out colours from the various image searches I'd done - green with red rods, blue with yellow. Clearly not!
Along with the grille options there are a myriad of combinations. It's as if companies could select the colour of parts at the point of purchase :p
Many of the mad colour schemes have been created either just before and certainly since privatisation in 1994. Thus prior to that your only choices were Black, Green and BR Railblue with a selection of yellow ends depending on date. But the YE’s were not always applied at the time of requirement so pictures of the relevant date are necessary to get it right.

24 Jan 2010
Porthmadog, North Wales
www.rhoshelyg.me.uk
Best answers
Country flag
Good grief. I thought I had sorted out colours from the various image searches I'd done - green with red rods, blue with yellow. Clearly not!
And for blue locos watch out too for buffer beam colour (black, yellow, blue, brown), underframe colour (black or brown), cab roof (blue or black), position of double arrows (bonnet side, cab side, battery boxes), etc., etc.

D4100 with brown frames, black springs, blue buffers and beams: http://rcts-shop.org.uk/cache/photographs/mystery/WRD00133.780.jpg

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
And for blue locos watch out too for buffer beam colour (black, yellow, blue, brown), underframe colour (black or brown), cab roof (blue or black), position of double arrows (bonnet side, cab side, battery boxes), etc., etc.

D4100 with brown frames, black springs, blue buffers and beams: http://rcts-shop.org.uk/cache/photographs/mystery/WRD00133.780.jpg
That's interesting because, unless the camera lies, that doesn't look like the 1970s 'rail' blue :think::think:

Ah yes, the famous 'Arrow of Indecision' logo >:)

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Of course you mustn't forget Rule 8, it's their engine, they can paint whatever colour they want;)

Reactions: 1 users

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Of course you mustn't forget Rule 8, it's their engine, they can paint whatever colour they want;)
.......... and latterly, they did :tmi::tmi::tmi:

• Haha

DGE-Railroad

The Orchard Line
26 Jan 2020
United Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
A little bit more progress
20210218_195504.jpg20210218_195442.jpg

The motion is buttery smooth!
Motion test

the radiator is done and i took the precaution of printing off a second set of rods in the same colour while the filament was loaded :D
It will need to get its stripes when I'm feeling brave enough
20210218_195528.jpg
Body one of two is printing at the moment.

Reactions: 1 user

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Erm, I don't know how to tell you this ....................... but the left hand (or right hand in the inverted picture) coupling rod is upside down :oops:

While you're at it, it's worth checking that the knuckle joint in the coupling rod should be the cab-side of the centre axle :nerd: :nerd:

DGE-Railroad

The Orchard Line
26 Jan 2020
United Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
Erm, I don't know how to tell you this ....................... but the left hand (or right hand in the inverted picture) coupling rod is upside down :oops:

While you're at it, it's worth checking that the knuckle joint in the coupling rod should be the cab-side of the centre axle :nerd: :nerd:
Corrected! Thanks for the spot :)

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Coupling rods have been my second fetish (after wheels that is) after my unsuccessful dabblings in loco springing / sprung axle boxes and so on. The simple reason being that if your loco is going to have sprung axle boxes, then the coupling rods need to flex as per the prototype. Inevitably, once you start cogitating on those lines, the eye is drawn to such things ....................... :rock::rock:

For those of us with tiny minds, it keeps us amused :party:

• Haha

trammayo

Interested in vintage commercial vehicle, trams, t
24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
Coupling rods have been my second fetish (after wheels that is) after my unsuccessful dabblings in loco springing / sprung axle boxes and so on. The simple reason being that if your loco is going to have sprung axle boxes, then the coupling rods need to flex as per the prototype. Inevitably, once you start cogitating on those lines, the eye is drawn to such things ....................... :rock::rock:

For those of us with tiny minds, it keeps us amused :party:
I'd have you know that my mind isn't tiny - it's just full of blanks!

Fezwig

Registered
5 Jul 2016
Croft, Warrington
Best answers
Country flag
Superb model, I'd find a photo of a loco you want as we're just scratching the surface of variations, some that are air and vacuum braked had an extra compressor on the right hand side, as for buffers, some had the standard sprung buffers or hydraulic Oleo buffers and locos that worked in yards with tight curves may have oval buffers to prevent buffer locking, this could vary for either end of a loco!

350s as we called them also had a top speed of 15 mph, do 20 and you risked bending the side rods :worried: had a job to take one from Warrington to Dee Marsh (Shotton steel works) took us 2 days o_O
One thing you must add at the front is a shunting pole and a few tail lamps ready for putting on trains and as most locks had a screw coupling, a 3 link coupling hung over the coupling hook as this was easier for the shunter to swing with the shunting pole.

3 minutes of fame

3d printing, electronics and trams
14 Dec 2020
Lincolnshire
www.mgnr.uk
Best answers
Country flag
The only red filament I have to hand is ABS, which I've never printed with but know its challenging without an enclosure. I opted for primer and paint for the red parts but may try the ABS and see how I get on. They're only small parts...

I've been specifically choosing matt filaments recently and much prefer the finish from them!
No major issue printing flat parts like that in abs.

Run the bed quite hot, make sure the printer is in a nice warm environment and use a good bed surface like Print tac.

I find that abs is in some ways easier to print, as it's less stringy and easier to sand and file as well.

That being said, I think I would always make functional parts from metal or a more wear resistant material. I can foresee those rods needing replacement as the holes grow...

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Superb model, I'd find a photo of a loco you want as we're just scratching the surface of variations, some that are air and vacuum braked had an extra compressor on the right hand side, as for buffers, some had the standard sprung buffers or hydraulic Oleo buffers and locos that worked in yards with tight curves may have oval buffers to prevent buffer locking, this could vary for either end of a loco!

350s as we called them also had a top speed of 15 mph, do 20 and you risked bending the side rods :worried: had a job to take one from Warrington to Dee Marsh (Shotton steel works) took us 2 days o_O
One thing you must add at the front is a shunting pole and a few tail lamps ready for putting on trains and as most locks had a screw coupling, a 3 link coupling hung over the coupling hook as this was easier for the shunter to swing with the shunting pole.
In BR pre TOPS days we just used to call these 350’s. But must add the Southern variant 09 (TOPS coding now) which was a modified version for higher speed Trip working 27.5 according to Wiki. Then there were class 10 variants (nit sure what the difference was with them) and finally the master and slave class 13 for hump shunting at Tinsley Yard near Sheffield.

Turn the irritating sound down if you watch this!

DGE-Railroad

The Orchard Line
26 Jan 2020
United Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
No major issue printing flat parts like that in abs.

Run the bed quite hot, make sure the printer is in a nice warm environment and use a good bed surface like Print tac.

I find that abs is in some ways easier to print, as it's less stringy and easier to sand and file as well.

That being said, I think I would always make functional parts from metal or a more wear resistant material. I can foresee those rods needing replacement as the holes grow...
Fan off too?

This build's happening 'properly'; all moving parts are bushed! albeit with brass tubing :)

mike

Master at annoying..
Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Rossendale
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
O thats very very nice in green..sprung buffers as well..

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
So when can you print me one ;)

• Haha