08 Shunter

DGE-Railroad

The Orchard Line
26 Jan 2020
United Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
G1MRA member Peter Davis has come up with a really nicely designed little Gronk, so I took the opportunity to try printing it.

It is chain driven by a little 6v motor and will do a scale 20mph or so pulling wagons.

Its getting screwed together rather than glued.

The deck and frame go together

20210216_162817.jpg

Not a scale murder scene, I've been painting the rods and bufferbeams (complete with provision for spring buffers!)
The rods get some brass bushes installed
20210216_162855.jpg

Just waiting on some Forest Green and Dark Blue filaments to turn up so that I can print the body parts

Im unsure whether to go with a BR blue or a green colour scheme?

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
G1MRA member Peter Davis has come up with a really nicely designed little Gronk, so I took the opportunity to try printing it.

It is chain driven by a little 6v motor and will do a scale 20mph or so pulling wagons.

View attachment 280773

Not a scale murder scene, I've been painting the rods and bufferbeams (complete with provision for spring buffers!)
View attachment 280774

Just waiting on some Forest Green and Dark Blue filaments to turn up so that I can print the body parts

Ugh, not blue :tmi:

Having said that, the 08 shunters were one of the very few locos that could wear that revolting blue colour. On anything else, it looked drab and worn out within a few days - 'orrible.

The only other things that almost looked OK were the 4-VEPs when they were first outshopped in overall blue and aluminium window surrounds.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
A bit of inspiration?
IMG_20210216_170844.jpg

• Love
Reactions: 1 users

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag

View attachment 280773

View attachment 280774

You could, of course, go for black.

But with red con-rods, the blue scheme's out now :D:D

DGE-Railroad

The Orchard Line
26 Jan 2020
United Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
Yeah, i kind of inadvertently committed myself to Not Blue with the rods, didnt I? :D

Black's an option. A bit less common too, maybe?

I think I'm 80% taken with green. Thanks for the inspiration Phil. Great picture :)

DGE-Railroad

The Orchard Line
26 Jan 2020
United Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
The only red filament I have to hand is ABS, which I've never printed with but know its challenging without an enclosure. I opted for primer and paint for the red parts but may try the ABS and see how I get on. They're only small parts...

I've been specifically choosing matt filaments recently and much prefer the finish from them!

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
Ugh, not blue :tmi:

Having said that, the 08 shunters were one of the very few locos that could wear that revolting blue colour. On anything else, it looked drab and worn out within a few days - 'orrible.

The only other things that almost looked OK were the 4-VEPs when they were first outshopped in overall blue and aluminium window surrounds.
The LNWR gronk at Bristol shed is grey!

• Wow

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Purple? Well I suppose someone thought it through

mike

Master at annoying..
Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Rossendale
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Are the 3d files available, as it looking a interesting project

24 Jan 2010
Porthmadog, North Wales
www.rhoshelyg.me.uk
Best answers
Country flag
  • Wow

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
  • Haha

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
How about this for complete confusion?

1613560534884.png

• Haha

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Has it got a silver 'TDI' badge on the back? :rofl:

• Haha

DGE-Railroad

The Orchard Line
26 Jan 2020
United Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
Last edited:

DGE-Railroad

The Orchard Line
26 Jan 2020
United Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
Are the 3d files available, as it looking a interesting project
Mike, I spoke to the designer about whether I could share the files and he asked that they stay available to G1MRA members, which I guess is reasonable.

For what it's worth. I joined this year and found it fabulous value for money - a £25 annual fee to join what's a pretty active community; A ton of joining literature including 2 bulky colour magazines, a calendar, standards and measurements documentation, supplier lists plus access to the regular Zoom meetings and Google group which has some fabulous STLs from some talented designers.

Reactions: 1 users

mike

Master at annoying..
Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Rossendale
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Mike, I spoke to the designer about whether I could share the files and he asked that they stay available to G1MRA members, which I guess is reasonable.

For what it's worth. I joined this year and found it fabulous value for money - a £25 annual fee to join what's a pretty active community; A ton of joining literature including 2 bulky colour magazines, a calendar, standards and measurements documentation, supplier lists plus access to the regular Zoom meetings and Google group which has some fabulous STLs from some talented designers.
Thank you for asking,,and I think its £25 well spent!