XXL in Aristocraft class 66

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Country flag
Hi guys,
Any hints and wrinkles on this one?
Connecting as per Massoth manual does not give the correct results..
Lights do not all switch off, no control of smoke unit for starters.
Thanks,
Phil.

When I fitted a Digitrax DG583AR to mine I didn't have control of the lights either. It's because there's a microcontroller chip on the main board that controls the lights. I ended up bypassing that and wiring the lights to the decoder via my own resistors. I did post about it a long while ago - might have been on the old G Scale Mad site. I'll see if I can find the piccies etc.

I don't usually worry about controlling the smoke unit via DCC, pretty sure I just left that on the original slide switch.

I think part of the lights 'problem' is not knowing just what the DB Schenker light codes are.. More research I fear.
Would appreciate it if you can find the info.
Smoke unit has a fan. - Do you know if this is driven by the motor output, or just a control signal from the PIC?
Phil.

Found the original photos on my backups, not found the text yet.

I do remember that as part of the lighting rewiring I modified the lower light pcb at each end and turned the LEDs 180 degrees on the PCB to make the arrangement common positive as required by DCC function outputs.

Not sure about the smoke unit fan. How many wires to it - that should give a clue whether or not the fan is driven separately?

Phil: I've found a Word doc with the text and photos. PM me your email address and I'll send it over.

Only two wires, but it looks like a load of electronics within the unit..
Appears to be track voltage via the smoke on/off switch..

They seem to make the wiring in these units purposefully obtuse!

Doc sent. I replied to your PM but it said inbox full!

Hmm.. Only five messages allowed in the inbox seems a little stingy!
Got the Doc, very useful..
I will look into the smoke unit, and a couple of other things and report back..
I have used a DPDT relay board I made up for a USA trains Alco S40.. Had the same problem with the LED commons.
I cut tracks on the original board to allow the switches to be used as well as DCC control. Used a function output to switch a second relay (again, in series with the switch) for smoke.

Thanks again,
Phil.