Thomas gets an Upgrade

Diesel2000

Registered
18 Feb 2020
Chicago
Best answers
Country flag
I recently purchased the 91401 Bachmann Thomas loco and 44968 Bachmann/soundtraxx sound decoder. My daughter has become a huge Thomas fan and this loco has become her favorite possession. The decoder and speaker install was about as easy as it gets. The decoder, however, as others have noted is not great functionally. Any time it loses power over a plastic frog it starts to stutter like its receiving a programming signal and you have to set the throttle to 0 to regain control. This was pretty annoying. The decoder does not have a port for a current keeper like typical Soundtraxx Tsunami decoders. The Thomas engine only has pickup through the 4 driving wheels.

My solution to this problem was to install a Massoth L driving decoder with power caps and use the Thomas decoder just for the sound. I replaced the original selector switch with the switch that came with the power caps connected to track power input and the Thomas decoder so that I could turn off that decoder while programming the Massoth L and so that it could be run without any sound if desired.

The power caps fit nicely in the space above the motor block and under where the Thomas decoder is designed to screw down. I mounted the Massoth L just to the rear of that. There was plenty of space to execute this. Finally I drilled out the smoke stack and installed an 18V LGB smoke unit. This was the main reason I picked the Massoth L over the M decoder because it has a higher current output to drive a smoke unit. The smoker was secured with some epoxy where it joins the boiler.

The whole thing went pretty well. My intention was to install a resistor on the motor terminals on the Thomas decoder to simulate load, but when I connected it all up there was no driving chuff sound, only the function sounds worked. I reached out to Soundtraxx support (who got back to me within an hour) and they said their decoder chuff depends on BEMF and to try turning that off by setting CV217=0. And that worked! I left the resistor in place as its not causing any issues on the decoder in this state.

So now I have much better driving capability with the Massoth L and power caps along with the original Thomas sounds, which really are what make it worthwhile despite their limited nature. The kids know that distinctive whistle. Here is video of the finished loco on my work stand and pics of the install.

power caps.jpgdecoders.jpgsmoke.jpg

Last edited:
8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
Actually, the Bachmann decoder is manufactured by SoundTraxx and could be fitted with a keepalive.

I agree, the design of the decoder is nuts, so if there is power interruption, it needs to be commanded to zero speed, and then back up... it will NOT resume on it's own... don't know if it was a "feature" requested by Bachmann or a "crippling" of the decoder on purpose by SoundTraxx (both corporations have made idiotic decisions before), but it is really obnoxious, I have an Emily and of course limited power pickup.

Greg

Diesel2000

Registered
18 Feb 2020
Chicago
Best answers
Country flag
Actually, the Bachmann decoder is manufactured by SoundTraxx and could be fitted with a keepalive.

I agree, the design of the decoder is nuts, so if there is power interruption, it needs to be commanded to zero speed, and then back up... it will NOT resume on it's own... don't know if it was a "feature" requested by Bachmann or a "crippling" of the decoder on purpose by SoundTraxx (both corporations have made idiotic decisions before), but it is really obnoxious, I have an Emily and of course limited power pickup.

Greg
Yes, as stated the Bachmann Thomas decoder is made by Soundtraxx, which is why I contacted them about the lack of chuff without a motor attached. They claim they made them to Bachmann's spec and just produced them and werent sure the CV217 setting would work, but it did. The Thomas decoder does not have the same port on it for the Soundtraxx currentkeeper keep alive. How could a keep alive be attached?

I've found the currentkeeper on Soundtraxx Tsunami2 4400 decoders to be inadequate for G scale. It can keep the sound going, but not really the motor and it just drains within a second. Soundtraxx suggested adding more currentkeepers in parallel. I havent had great operating experience on my layout with the 2 Tsumani2 4400 decoders I've fitted in LGB 2077D porter locos with currentkeepers. If they lose power at all the lights all shut off and have to be turned back on. And you cant read them back on a programming track in service mode. They program ok in Ops mode.

The Massoth decoders with their power caps seem to be much better. I havent had a situation yet where they didnt keep the locos going - in both Stainz and larger locos. Thats why I chose that route for the Thomas, and will be replacing the Tsunami2 4400s in the Porters eventually with the Massoth LS and power caps. Its a trade off for sure. I do really like all the sound options on the Tsunami2 decoders and its very high quality fidelity, and the DDE. The Massoth profiles are a bit lacking and no where near as configurable, but they operate very reliably and are easy to work with.

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
That is not the first time that an OEM Soundtraxx Tsunami had the chuff input "deleted".

You find the 5v regulator circuit and add the keepalive there. it's a project for me, and when I do it, it will be posted here:

putting a keepalive on the main power (just after the full wave bridge from the rails) takes too much voltage and capacity. Just keep the microprocessor going.

yes, you might need to put a switch on the keepalive with the method I propose, but we will see.

Greg