Aristocraft Class 66 sounds rqd.

DRG11

Registered
14 May 2011
Roman City of Bath
Best answers
Country flag
Hi All,

Ive recently got a Aristocraft class 66 which is already fitted with a Massoth XXL decoder, does anyone know how I can addd sound to it without changing the Decoders please,

Poss adding a sound only decoder into the system if this can be done ?

Any ideas please.

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
Well, it has a SUSI interface, I suppose you could buy a sound decoder that has a SUSI interface so the speed commanded to the main decoder was reflected by the sound card.

But the list price on the sound only decoders are over $200 in the us, so maybe it is a poor way to do it.

I'd swap the decoder out with a sound one and use the XXL somewhere else or sell it. (I know you asked not to change the decoder, but the hassle of adding a sound only one will far exceed just swapping the wires to a new decoder and hooking 2 wires to a speaker)

Greg

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
A Massoth S (sound only) decoder could be added..
You will be able to have a 'heavy diesel' sound, but it will not be a 'ying-ying' of a Class 66.

One option, would be a MyLocoSound card, but triggering the sounds from your DCC handset will be difficult.

I would suggest either a Phoenix Sound (soundcard) or if you can get one, their newer soundcard/decoder combination. - I would have to check if the Class 66 sounds are available for the new decoder.

PhilP

Moonraker

Registered
25 Oct 2009
South Australia
Best answers
Country flag
MyLocoSound can offer you a low cost and simple way of producing Class 66 sounds. Our premium heavy diesel soundcard contains the Class 66 sounds and will connect to the Massoth XXL decoder. Use the decoder 22v outputs to power the soundcard via the B+ and B- terminals. Connect the soundcard M1 and M2 terminals to the motor outputs. The decoder then has function outputs to trigger the horn and other sounds.

Regards
Peter Lucas
MyLocoSound

Reactions: 1 user

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
MyLocoSound can offer you a low cost and simple way of producing Class 66 sounds. Our premium heavy diesel soundcard contains the Class 66 sounds and will connect to the Massoth XXL decoder. Use the decoder 22v outputs to power the soundcard via the B+ and B- terminals. Connect the soundcard M1 and M2 terminals to the motor outputs. The decoder then has function outputs to trigger the horn and other sounds.

Regards
Peter Lucas
MyLocoSound
That sounds like a good plan, certainly a more affordable one with the MLS coming in at a little less than a sound only or new DCC chip.

beavercreek

Travel, Art, Theatre, Music, Photography, Trains
24 Oct 2009
Colchester, United Kingdom
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
Back about 12 years ago I had a rush of blood to the head and bought a British outline loco..an Aristo Class 66 fitted with an ESU Loksound V3.1 decoder.
It had been professionally weathered and set up by South West Digital.
I think that the sound file and control set-up was commissioned by them from ESU.
The sound file that is now available from ESU is more or less the same as the one commissioned by SWD.
The board file has been set up so that it controls the lights (start-up, running and shutdown).
I also, somewhere, have an unused Phoenix PB9 with their ESU sounds on board.
The ESU is absolutely stunning in its operation and the start-up procedure is a wonder to listen to, and I have a good selection of diesels (all US) using ESU or Phoenix sound boards to compare it with. The Phoenix version of the sounds is also very good but the ESU does swing it.

I might be parting with the Aristo 66 in the future if anyone would be interested ;);)

Last edited:

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Get thee behind me... :D

PM sent.
:lipssealed:;)

PhilP

DRG11