Widening my G Scale Interest

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks to all for the replies.

Attached are photos of an impulse purchase - an MSS locomotive and two passenger wagons. The will be confined to a bookcase.

Am I missing something - is MSS typical of live steam track? It looks like it belongs in a vintage Meccano set.

View attachment 214152View attachment 214153
Hi, no you're not missing anything. MSS lived in a half world between toy and model. They were developed from the early Mamod standing steam engines, road rollers and latterly locomotives that were principally aimed at young learners. As they were fundamentally toys, the steam pressure is kept below a certain level (which I can't remember)

The track is cast alloy, and horribly fragile. Most live steam operators use ready made track with plastic sleepers because I don't think the track components with wooden sleepers are so easily available here in the UK.

MSS and Mamod needs to run on an absolutely level track, and usually will only operate at about 90 mph!!

That said, it's an attractive looking set :clap::clap::clap:

zenophon

Registered
14 Aug 2016
Manhattan
Best answers
Hi, no you're not missing anything. MSS lived in a half world between toy and model. They were developed from the early Mamod standing steam engines, road rollers and latterly locomotives that were principally aimed at young learners. As they were fundamentally toys, the steam pressure is kept below a certain level (which I can't remember)

The track is cast alloy, and horribly fragile. Most live steam operators use ready made track with plastic sleepers because I don't think the track components with wooden sleepers are so easily available here in the UK.

MSS and Mamod needs to run on an absolutely level track, and usually will only operate at about 90 mph!!

That said, it's an attractive looking set :clap::clap::clap:

My Accrurail Dora arrived this afternoon. I now have a "real" steam locomotive

I have attached a hastily taken photo of the Dora next to my HOe Egger-bahn locomotive. A US 25 cent coin is posed to give a sense of relative sizes.

Thanks for the welcoming posts.

Locos.jpg

Reactions: 1 users