Widening my G Scale Interest

zenophon

Registered
14 Aug 2016
Manhattan
Best answers
I am pleased to have found a forum for G scale enthusiasts.

I like narrow gauge in all sizes having grown up near Southwest timber country with plenty of prototypes. My favorite is Egger-Bahn in HOe which is particularly good for a city apartment. I also have 0n30 (Bachmann), LGB G trains and live steam in G (an Accucraft Dora).

I am primarily a hobby fan rather than a railway buff but I do have an academic interest in late 19th and early 20th century history.

My main interest in joining is to re-orient towards small G scale layouts, primarily for my LGB locos but also for live steam. At the moment I only have an Accucraft Dora (a tiny non-prototype shunter) but am looking for a more scale like small loco.

I have seen at least one "pizza layout" on the forum, which is how I found it. I am looking for inspiration for apartment friendly layouts.

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome to GSC!
We've actually had quite a bit of discussion of smaller indoor layouts recently, so hope that you will find posts of interest to you - feel free to ask anything, there will usually be some sensible answers! ;)

Jon.

royale

G scale and driving my Royale Sabre kit car
26 Oct 2009
Long Eaton
Best answers
Welcome aboard.

pugwash

impecunious pirate
Staff member
GSC Moderator
17 Nov 2009
Luxembourg
Best answers
Country flag
Yikes! I can see an HOe layout in a flat but SWMBO is going to do her nut when she sees a G scale operation, and live steam to boot. Come on, tell us, will you be using coal fired locos?
No, seriously, there are some ace mini models in G here, and they all seem to be from your side of the pond, with an incredible use of materials and styles. Although they are still nicely nuts. o_O

zenophon

Registered
14 Aug 2016
Manhattan
Best answers
Yikes! I can see an HOe layout in a flat but SWMBO is going to do her nut when she sees a G scale operation, and live steam to boot. Come on, tell us, will you be using coal fired locos?
No, seriously, there are some ace mini models in G here, and they all seem to be from your side of the pond, with an incredible use of materials and styles. Although they are still nicely nuts. o_O

Thanks Pugwash, or should I say Captain.

The Accucraft Dora has a smaller footprint than my smallest LGB loco. The problem will be to keep the speed down to prevent a derailing. The idea is to start with a circle of LGB track and have two small coal vans laden with fishing weights to slow the Dora. Since the Dora is gas powered some speed control is possible.

If I don't set fire to the apartment the idea is to use the track plans on the Thor website for a small layout with two turnouts. If the Dora proves unsuitable I can fall back on my LGB Stainz loco.

zenophon

Registered
14 Aug 2016
Manhattan
Best answers

Thanks Pugwash, or should I say Captain.

The Accucraft Dora has a smaller footprint than my smallest LGB loco. The problem will be to keep the speed down to prevent a derailing. The idea is to start with a circle of LGB track and have two small coal vans laden with fishing weights to slow the Dora. Since the Dora is gas powered some speed control is possible.

If I don't set fire to the apartment the idea is to use the track plans on the Thor website for a small layout with two turnouts. If the Dora proves unsuitable I can fall back on my LGB Stainz loco.

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome aboard. You'll find that we know it all here. At least we'd like to believe that. You've come to the best garden railway forum on the web.

PaulRhB

This Way Up
24 Oct 2009
Wilts Drifting toward the RhB,plate tectonics rock
Best answers
Country flag
Greetings :) if weighting the wagons isn't sufficient try adding a brake on the axles too. It can be as simple as a foam block inserted between axle and chassis or a pad of wood or plastic lightly rubbing the axle by mounting on a springy piece of wire or plastic to provide friction. You can alter the friction by bending the wire or padding the mounting end to vary the angle ;)

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
There is a delicious irony here - widening my G scale interest by designing the narrowest option o_Oo_O

I love it - welcome to the madhouse :happy::happy::happy::happy:

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Isn't widening G scale interest Gauge 3???????????????
:giggle::giggle::giggle:

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag

David1226

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Abingdon, Oxfordshire
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
Everything is bigger in America.. Even the pizza's!

Just like Good King Wenceslas's favourite pizza.... deep pan, crisp and even.....

David

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
I can eat a 12" pizza :rock::rock:

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Are you bragging, or complaining??
;):p:giggle::giggle:
I seem to remember that as a line from something my kids sang as teenagers, so probably the lyrics are adapted........however

As a younger man, when the family had been dinghy sailing all day on the Norfolk Broads, we went for supper at a Pizza restaurant in Wroxham, by the bridge, and I ordered a 14" Pizza - well it had been a long day.

Afterwards, the staff confessed to having a wager on the side as to whether I'd eat it all - a feat never to be repeated, but it did the trick at the time ;););)

zenophon

Registered
14 Aug 2016
Manhattan
Best answers
I seem to remember that as a line from something my kids sang as teenagers, so probably the lyrics are adapted........however

As a younger man, when the family had been dinghy sailing all day on the Norfolk Broads, we went for supper at a Pizza restaurant in Wroxham, by the bridge, and I ordered a 14" Pizza - well it had been a long day.

Afterwards, the staff confessed to having a wager on the side as to whether I'd eat it all - a feat never to be repeated, but it did the trick at the time ;););)

I am loving the Pizza banter.

I am very pleased that the late Carl Arendt's "scrapbook" website is still going. Working in Manhattan and living in a cramped apartment requires the light relief given by Pizza and bookshelf layouts at weekends - they are affordable and convenient alternatives to a suburban house or a vacation home.

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag

I am very pleased that the late Carl Arendt's "scrapbook" website is still going. Working in Manhattan and living in a cramped apartment requires the light relief given by Pizza and bookshelf layouts at weekends - they are affordable and convenient alternatives to a suburban house or a vacation home.
Ah, well, you've worked out how good this forum is. Usually you'll get quite a few helpful answers, then I'm afraid we can't help ourselves and it descends to a bit of unhelpful, if mildly amusing, anecdotes and banter.

So, it's not a bad place to be :):):):)

Gavin Sowry

Garden Railroader and Raconteur
27 Oct 2009
Hutt Valley, NZ
Best answers
Country flag

I am very pleased that the late Carl Arendt's "scrapbook" website is still going.

Check out my Pizza 'n' Beer layout on that site...... 3½" radius curves!

zenophon

Registered
14 Aug 2016
Manhattan
Best answers
Ah, well, you've worked out how good this forum is. Usually you'll get quite a few helpful answers, then I'm afraid we can't help ourselves and it descends to a bit of unhelpful, if mildly amusing, anecdotes and banter.

So, it's not a bad place to be :):):):)

Thanks to all for the replies.

Attached are photos of an impulse purchase - an MSS locomotive and two passenger wagons. The will be confined to a bookcase.

Am I missing something - is MSS typical of live steam track? It looks like it belongs in a vintage Meccano set.

MSS2.jpgMSS1.jpg