whatlep

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Muzza said:
(snip)
If the cost of coal is converted into todays money, the " Super Power " era steam locomotives would probably be more cost effective today than deisels!
Err, no. You're forgetting labour costs (both crew and preparation/ maintenance staff) and locomotive availability costs, not to mention the infrastructure costs for steam locos in terms of coaling, turning and watering facilities (and water isn't cheap either to commercial customers!).

KleineDicke

Trains, trains, and trains. Oh, did I mention tra
24 Oct 2009
Houston, Texas
Best answers
whatlep said:
Muzza said:
(snip)
If the cost of coal is converted into todays money, the " Super Power " era steam locomotives would probably be more cost effective today than deisels!
Err, no. You're forgetting labour costs (both crew and preparation/ maintenance staff) and locomotive availability costs, not to mention the infrastructure costs for steam locos in terms of coaling, turning and watering facilities (and water isn't cheap either to commercial customers!).

Another factor in diesels replacing steam is diesel locomotives are more "modular", i.e. the railroads could easily lash together multiple diesels (each with smaller HP output than a large steam loco) and apply the power needed, no more, no less. Also, taking a diesel out of service for repair or maintenance takes a smaller chunk of the total power pool down. As much as I love steam locomotives, keeping them running is very expensive.

wahiba

Registered
13 Feb 2010
keighley, west yorkshire
Best answers
Ferrysteam said:
There are a lot of factors to take into consideration before condemning a steam loco as being inefficient.For instance,how long does a steam engine last compared to electric or diesel,well maintained ,100 years?.How much damage to the track is caused by electric and diesel compared to steam,a lot more,I know.On top of that,steam is much easier to maintain and build also much more beautiful in motion.

Electric motors have a long life span. When the Southern electrified with third rail the motors from the first batch of multiple units were used on their successors. Skimming the commutator and replacement brushes is all that is needed.

I think it is much the same with modern electric motors. Near where I live is a firm dealing in second hand industrial electric motors. The bigger ones are often stacked up outside and I have recognised some made 40 years ago - I helped make them. They were not traction motors but drove big ventilation fans. They were also AC synchronous so no moving contact parts.

I do not know about diesels, but I suspect that if maintained regularly they can go on forever, or at least as long as a steam engine.

Modern kit when properly looked after can last as long as one wants. At least one of the Chinooks in Afghanistan also served in the Falklands, not exactly an easy life, but obviously good maintenance.

LTfan

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
At least one of the Chinooks in Afghanistan also served in the Falklands, not exactly an easy life, but obviously good maintenance.

Can't remember the figures but recently I read the number of maintainance/servicing hours needed per flying hour for a helichopper.
Something like 30 or 40 ish?

David

spike

It's me
24 Oct 2009
Upper Drakes Bottom
www.weathersatellite.info
Best answers
Country flag
wahiba said:
motors. The bigger ones are often stacked up outside and I have recognised some made 40 years ago - I helped make them. They were not traction motors but drove big ventilation fans. They were also AC synchronous so no moving contact parts.

Most old types of AC synchronous motors would have had various moving parts other than the rotor.

AC asynchronous motors, your common or garden job has only one moving part, the rotor, commonly called
a Squirrel cage motor.

Synchronous motors run at synchronous speed, no slip.
Asynchronous motors always have slip.

Neil Robinson

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N W Leicestershire
Best answers
Country flag
I know that SLM built a batch of modern, relatively efficient, rack locos in the 1990s
They caused a bit of a stir at the time as it had been quite some time since old steam locos had been withdrawn from service and replaced by new, more efficient, steam locos. I think they proved to be better than the existing diesels on one line.
However the economics of tourist rack lines doesn't always transfer to inter city main lines.

Ferrysteam

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Co Durham
Best answers
When a diesel or electric are working not many people seem to notice but see how many people notice when a steamy's working,that alone makes them more efficient.As well as that they look like us,a bit!

9a34ce2ddf3c41f5b5c87e0feb148262.jpg

TLR

anything to do with model L/S loco's boats etc
24 Oct 2009
Clacton on sea Essex
Best answers
Hi,
I have been reading this thread and thought that the following web sites may be of interest to anyone who may wonder what future steam could be.

The Ultimate steam page
www.trainweb.org/tusp/index.html

The Grand Canyon Railway
www.thetrain.com/steam-event-7275html

I think in Britain we produce about 200,000 tons annualy of waste oil.

Shaun.