What's your kind of train?

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
Is that Lucy tied down to the tracks ahead? >:)

That has reminded me of probably the second-sickest joke that I know, which I am NOT going to repeat here because I'd quite like to remain a member of the forum! :devil:

Jon.

Sean.

Hmmmm
5 Oct 2017
Boston & Cocagne NB (not enough)
Best answers
Country flag
Hey now he owns the line ... careful Sean ...
th

Reactions: 1 users

chris m01

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Birmingham, UK
Best answers
Country flag
I like running tourist trains, especially with open cars. This makes a nice contrast to the diesels hauling freight.

3E775FBC-85FE-4691-9FF3-FCCF4F528934.jpeg

79DC2FBA-5B71-4EF4-B238-B1EF7DB95743.jpeg

Reactions: 5 users

idlemarvel

Neither idle nor a marvel
13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
Saxon 1K crossing wooden bridge at sundown, fighting through the ivy and Japanese anemones.

IMG_0113.JPG
IMG_0116.JPG

Reactions: 6 users

Capt. Jack

Registered
12 Mar 2017
Florida
Best answers
Country flag
I like logging trains . But I like basically all trains.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

Timmo

Registered
25 Apr 2016
Bath
Best answers
Country flag
View attachment 238742
Hi Tim
It's YP based on a Bachmann Annie chassis for most of the runnning gear
The boiler/cab/superstructure is of my own concoction using mainly plasticard, some sheet metal and part of an old plans tube as the start point for the boiler
I think main line Indian metre gauge steam offers a whole mine of opportunities !
At the moment I've a MAWD 2-8-2 I'm working on
Chris
Ps the picture here / above is of an Indian G2 class built a while back on another Annie chassis

Hi Chris. Well, it had me fooled, it looks great. Did you have any plans for the YP? All I have been able to find is a IR diagram on the web and a very good side elevation illustration in Brian Hollingsworth's Encyclopedia of Steam Passenger Locomotives!

The MAWD will be interesting. What chassis will you be using? There are a few drawings around for these locos in Narrow Gauge & Short Line Gazette and a very old Garden Railways mag.

I am working on a Chile Northern Network metre gauge 2-8-2 at the moment based off an Aristocraft 2-8-2. But it is taking a long time, and I must complete the conversion of my Bachmann Connie into a Nacionales de Mexico G030 2-8-0! I need more time.

Anyway, well done on the YP and the G2 looks great as well.

Tim

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Don't get to run this much at the moment, as my railway is still being built, and the whole train takes up too much room in my VW Golf, if I was to take it where I have 'running rights'!

I've only run the complete unit of 7 vehicles a couple of times, and I am saving it for special events/occasions for the time being....

2017-09-20 11.07.24.jpg

Reactions: 3 users

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Don't get to run this much at the moment, as my railway is still being built, and the whole train takes up too much room in my VW Golf, if I was to take it where I have 'running rights'!

I've only run the complete unit of 7 vehicles a couple of times, and I am saving it for special events/occasions for the time being....

View attachment 238941
I was waiting for this one to come along :clap::clap::clap::clap:

Orville Fugitte

Registered
13 Jun 2018
Orlando
Best answers
Had 2 LGB Stainz Circus trains, one came with passenger cars, the other open flat cars. Used to run these to death.

Also bought the LGB Circus Sound Box car which was really cool, but the sound unit died in it, and never could get it to work again.

So I gutted the sound card and an '97 PSS Sound board was put in it, so I could just change out the other spare sound chips I have and use it for any train or loco type.

I have sound chips for: GP7/9, GP38-2, NW-2, or a few Steam assortment sounds as well as the rail sounds "clickety-clack, brake/wheel squeaks", so depending on whether the loco has sound in it, or if it requires an add-on sound car with the matching loco sounds, I can usually cover most of them for what I currently run.

Have a couple of cars the old 'PSS "pull and replace the 2 sound chips" on the sound boards these are mounted in, so I could have either American, European or Sound Effects in use along with the loco sound car if needed.

As for running, I ran those LGB Stainz's to their death. literally!:nerd::eek::)

And they were my favorite, now since their demise, I'm running an GP38-2 Rio Grande and American freight rolling stock or Christmas Passenger cars {Christmas train}, need to get a Christmas loco, have two Christmas Loco's but both are in need of finding a way to add couplers to them as their coupler mountings have broken completely off {they look like NW-2's but only have 1 smoke stack instead of 2}, so got to rebuild something on them to be able to couple them to the Christmas Passenger cars, of which the baggage car has an real old PH Hobbies Christmas Music sound card that plays 16 Christmas Carols.

Trying to find a very small FM radio that will power a standard 8-ohm speaker, then try to power it from track voltage through a voltage reduction circuit and use my FM transmitter to send music through the baggage and other powered{lighted} passenger cars and possibly even the loco{es} via a 2nd mounted speaker, if room is available.

I also run standard American Passenger Cars {Bachmann}, just depends on my mood and time of year as to which train and type gets precedence on the rails.

Last edited:

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
What I actually see-
DSCF2630 (Small).JPG

pugwash

impecunious pirate
Staff member
GSC Moderator
17 Nov 2009
Luxembourg
Best answers
Country flag
One that damn well runs straight away without mucking about :banghead:

Reactions: 3 users

Sarah Winfield

Registered
20 Jun 2016
Dorset
Best answers
Country flag
As pugwash said. One I can place on the rails and have confidence when I turn the control knob it's going to go!

Otherwise a nice short mixed freight including a passenger carraige.

SW

chris m01

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Birmingham, UK
Best answers
Country flag
I like short trains and I like long trains.