dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks for casting light (!) on it Jon. I have enough now to proceed. I didn't want to try a decoder. Thanks so much.
Trevor
That Massoth eMotionL is a decoder, sometimes also called a chip and possibly other less complimentary things.

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
The flat-ended bulbs will be 5V. This means you will need to adjust the lighting CV to a value of 5 or 6 to save you from blowing the bulbs..
There is a diagram (think you posted it) showing how to connect the lights, and the manual will list the CV for the lighting divider.

The tips for insulating your wires are good. Also insulate (if necessary) where you intend to mount the decoder, especially if you intend to mount it on a weight (metal!) in the loco..

PhilP.

Anglian

Registered
23 Jul 2018
Armagh
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks Phil. I think it's sorted now other than the location for the red and grey wires on the cable that power the multi-purpose socket.
Trevor

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks Phil. I think it's sorted now other than the location for the red and grey wires on the cable that power the multi-purpose socket.
Trevor
The multipurpose socket, is basically track-power, being passed-through for the likes of coach lighting..

Anglian

Registered
23 Jul 2018
Armagh
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks again.