3 minutes of fame

3d printing, electronics and trams
14 Dec 2020
Lincolnshire
www.mgnr.uk
Best answers
Country flag
Does laser cutting count as printing??

This is my first design, a small signal box / coal office/ mess room.

Takes about an hour to cut in 2mm ply including all the roof and wall detail. 20210419_175430.jpg20210419_175441.jpg20210419_181151.jpg

Reactions: 1 user

mike

Master at annoying..
Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Rossendale
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
I think so!!!

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Looking good..

PLEASE!

Get / make an enclosure and fit fume extraction..
The glues used (especially in MDF) release very nasty toxins, when 'burnt'..

PhilP

LGB-Sid

Registered
19 Sep 2016
UK
Best answers
Country flag
Today I found the cure for not being able to hold a long straight edge firm enough to scribe mortar lines down a long length and keep them at equal spaces :) I printed a mortar line scribbing tool only did it the size I need for my platform but will now try bigger versions I think, just need to crack an easier way of doing all the vertical lines now :rofl: and I didn't try putting a pin in all the holes and doing all the lines at once.

I used to do that at school had a piece of wood with six holes in it and a pen in each when you got lines like " I must not talk in class" worked a treat for ages until I started using different colored pens in my holder then the teachers twigged :)

scribe.jpg

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Today I found the cure for not being able to hold a long straight edge firm enough to scribe mortar lines down a long length and keep them at equal spaces :) I printed a mortar line scribbing tool only did it the size I need for my platform but will now try bigger versions I think, just need to crack an easier way of doing all the vertical lines now :rofl: and I didn't try putting a pin in all the holes and doing all the lines at once.

I used to do that at school had a piece of wood with six holes in it and a pen in each when you got lines like " I must not talk in class" worked a treat for ages until I started using different colored pens in my holder then the teachers twigged :)

View attachment 284130
Why not just make an extension piece that you can securely attach to the upright rather than a complete new tool?

3 minutes of fame

14 Dec 2020
Lincolnshire
www.mgnr.uk
Best answers
Country flag
Looking good..

PLEASE!

Get / make an enclosure and fit fume extraction..
The glues used (especially in MDF) release very nasty toxins, when 'burnt'..

PhilP
This lives in a very well vented garden / modelling room, separate from the house as the resin and FDM printers can be unpleasant at times as well. There's forced air ventilation and I'm planning to fit some extraction as well.

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
This lives in a very well vented garden / modelling room, separate from the house as the resin and FDM printers can be unpleasant at times as well. There's forced air ventilation and I'm planning to fit some extraction as well.
All very well but please still water a mask, it is the responsible thing to do.

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
All very well but please still water a mask, it is the responsible thing to do.
A 'mask' is of little use. - We are not talking particulates (like sawdust).

A 'respirator' type-mask, with suitable cartridge-filters, would be more appropriate.

It may seem overly cautious, but we are talking the likes of PCB's and Dioxins.

LGB-Sid

Registered
19 Sep 2016
UK
Best answers
Country flag
Why not just make an extension piece that you can securely attach to the upright rather than a complete new tool?
Its easy to print a longer version :) the part with the holes will probably need to be beefed up a bit the longer it gets to remove any flex out of it and also the bottom part that follows the edge of the board, might get a bit longer to help keep it square .

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Nice!

Where did you source the 'gas axe' please?

PhilP

mike

Master at annoying..
Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Rossendale
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
PhilP I don't know what a gas axe is.
Mike
Gas axe, = oxygen and acetylene cutters- what you printed, the end of the pipes,is a cutting head, call *gas axe*, as well as a cutter

itsmcgee

Registered
18 Apr 2012
Spokane Washington USA
Best answers
Country flag
thank you for the definition. a freind of mine just freelanced a drawing for me. I had some requests on my etsy site for a welding set in 7/8ths. One of the garden railroad club members offered to work with me to create one to my specs. All worked out great.

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Yes, sorry!
I meant the torch, hoses, etc. They look very good compared to other offerings I have found.

PhilP

ge_rik

British narrow gauge (esp. Southwold and W&LLR)
24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
www.riksrailway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag

3 minutes of fame

14 Dec 2020
Lincolnshire
www.mgnr.uk
Best answers
Country flag

justme igor

Registered
17 Apr 2020
Netherlands Westwoud
Country
Netherlands
Best answers
Country flag
Nothing yet, not even tracks, i need to replace my thermistor in the heating bed, stuff is here for the last 4 weeks

itsmcgee

Registered
18 Apr 2012
Spokane Washington USA
Best answers
Country flag
Just finished up my Gmeinder loco. needs to be weathered and get a painted figure. I had some requests on my etsy site for it, however, this one is mine. LOLGmeinder2.jpgGmeinder3.jpg