What have you been printing.

The Shed

Citizen of the Republic of the North East.
8 Mar 2020
Darlington, County Durham.
Country
England
Best answers
Are these instead of using servo controlled relays?
Possibly....

Friend of mine had used all the available Function Outputs on a decoder he was using, the decoder had two unused Servo Outputs, hence the idea of combining a Servo with a Micro Switch, activate the Servo, Servo arm moves and closes the Micro Switch, simple but effective ON - OFF switch.

The Shed

8 Mar 2020
Country
England
Best answers
These are the items used, no doubt they could be sourced elsewhere, given the fluctuations in prices and the difficulty in sourcing from the Far East, opted for UK Sellers.

Not included is the cost of the PLA filament, some small nuts and bolts and bits of wire!

As a price comparison...Hmmm.... guess that's down to each individual.....

It does what it does, switches whatever alternative circuit ON or OFF.

Micro Switch £4.60 for 5 works out at £0.92 each.

MG90S Servo £2.99 each, discount available for multiples.

The price difference between a standard nylon/plastic geared Servo to a Metal Geared Servo is minimal, down to end user choice.

Last edited:

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Did you print the shaft-coupler?

Such things do exist, but seem to be kept next to the Unicorn Horns..

Could you divulge the source, or print me a couple, please?

PhilP.

The Shed

8 Mar 2020
Country
England
Best answers
Testing the theory....

Slight tweaks and reprinted the two mounting brackets, test program using a Arduino UNO R3, to establish upper and lower angles of the Servo in relation to the wiper on the Potentiometer.

Next stage, to attempt to design and print a coupler adapter between a 180 degree Servo to the Potentiometer, as the theory worked, splashed out a several pounds on some genuine Alpha and Bourns Potentiometers.

Plenty of time on my hands, extended shielding enforced until the end of March, hence have time to theorise!

Servo Potentiometer Testing with Arduino.png

Tinkercad Servo to Potentiometer.PNG

Reactions: 1 user

The Shed

8 Mar 2020
Country
England
Best answers
The coupling adapter for a 180 degree Servo, challenging but doable, just awaiting genuine potentiometers.

Servo 180 degree coupling.png

Whist awaiting parts for the above, designed and printed surrounds/ base plates for the LGB Track Cleaning Loco electronic adaptation for the Cleaning Motor.
Track Cleaner Relay Speed Controller.png.

Very much a work in progress, test prints to see how it a) looks and b) ease of assembly.
(Idea subject to change!)
Hp 0-1-2 Colour Light Signal.png

Last edited:

ge_rik

British narrow gauge (esp. Southwold and W&LLR)
24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
www.riksrailway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
Reactions: 1 users

mike

Master at annoying..
Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Rossendale
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Scrap plastic wheels 20210222_160634.jpgand a re hash of a design..into metal wheels on a load...
20210223_144144.jpg

3 minutes of fame

3d printing, electronics and trams
14 Dec 2020
Lincolnshire
www.mgnr.uk
Best answers
Country flag
Sorry, I've been a bit quiet on the 3D front, as I have been finalising my Wisbech and Upwell coach.

And here it is in advanced prototype form. The body can be built as the bogie or shorter rigid coach simply by inserting the central section. The parts just slot together and are then aligned and glued. Some filler will be required, depending upon the accuracy of the print.

The roof will be made from thick card rather than printing, as I find it gives a better finish. The bogies will be replaced with something more prototypical, as I've borrowed them from another design, along with Dagnall Dagnall 's excellent buffer beams and wheels!

Some parts still need cleaning up, but the body fits together quite well. The shot below is literally the parts just slotted together without any glue or clamping.

1614512912122.png
1614513045647.png

Dagnall

Registered
17 May 2016
HAYLING island
Best answers
Country flag
That looks very good! I think the card roof is a good call. My printed roofs on the tram were never very smooth. And I never had the patience to sand them properly. !

3 minutes of fame

14 Dec 2020
Lincolnshire
www.mgnr.uk
Best answers
Country flag
When I built the tram, I made a strip wood roof - which worked really well and wasn't too onerous to build, but I've run out of suitable planking and cardboard is a lot cheaper!!

justme igor

Registered
17 Apr 2020
Netherlands Westwoud
Country
Netherlands
Best answers
Country flag
That looks very good! I think the card roof is a good call. My printed roofs on the tram were never very smooth. And I never had the patience to sand them properly. !
Print a section of the roof standing instead of flat.
Just try 2.5 cm/1 inch, you will be very surprised.
Thank me later.

With best regards Igor

The Shed

8 Mar 2020
Country
England
Best answers
Last edited:

3 minutes of fame

14 Dec 2020
Lincolnshire
www.mgnr.uk
Best answers
Country flag

mike

Master at annoying..
Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Rossendale
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Trying to make guttering...yes I know..
Playing with tinkercab..massive head ache, but it worked ,well I did threat it with Mr lumphammer.20210313_101950.jpg

The Shed

8 Mar 2020
Country
England
Best answers
Trying to make guttering...yes I know..
Playing with tinkercab..massive head ache, but it worked ,well I did threat it with Mr lumphammer.
Excellent use of your time there young Mike! Certainly captured the look and style, the Hopper deserves a Cool Beans!

Andreas

Registered
26 Jan 2021
79576 Weil am Rhein, Germany
Country
Germany
fam-weniger.jimdofree.com
Best answers
Country flag
A little Irish "decoration"
IMG_20210315_183737.jpgIMG_20210315_183744.jpgIMG_20210315_183748.jpgIMG_20210315_183751.jpgIMG_20210315_183755.jpg