What have you been printing.

richand26mhz

Registered
25 Apr 2010
Penkridge
Best answers
Country flag
I printed off another negative. Works better with less depth in the mould. I sprayed the mould with wd40 before applying the concrete and it just slipped out when almost cured.

Attachments

• 20200822_175007.jpg
    20200822_175007.jpg
    766.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 20200822_175111.jpg
    20200822_175111.jpg
    766.7 KB · Views: 0
Reactions: 1 user

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
I printed off another negative. Works better with less depth in the mould. I sprayed the mould with wd40 before applying the concrete and it just slipped out when almost cured.
Are you putting any strengthening in as with the depth at size (9” square?) might be a little brittle. Perhaps some flayt anodised ally chicken wire?

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Are you putting any strengthening in as with the depth at size (9” square?) might be a little brittle. Perhaps some flayt anodised ally chicken wire?
Yep, or nylon mesh - garden plant covering for the use of ;);)

Concrete is strong in compression, but has no tensile strength worth talking of.

As a young, impressionable teenager just having done O levels, our physics master arranged two trips, one to Ewell Technical College where they showed us how they tested concrete for strength by crushing a cube - impressive. Then they took a concrete cylinder, laid it on its side and crushed it, and it split apart vertically at next to nothing - that was the tensile test.

At that time, I went on to do language A levels, and never had an inkling that I would spend a lifetime in the construction industry :nerd::nerd::nerd::nerd:

Tanker man

G scale and 5 inch ride on
10 Jun 2015
Oxford
Best answers
Country flag
Observations after 2 weeks with a 3d printer.
Ok, there is a lot of information on the micro SD card, if you are brave enough to plug it into your PC. The slicing details , from the card, would not load onto my iMac, research suggests that it is an old version and it is better to download Cura from the internet, this I did and set it up to work with my Ender 3pro.
I bought a spare micro SD card to download files from 'Thingiverse' , my iMac does not recognise the blank card in the USB adapter provided with the printer, however, the card came with a standard adapter, which plugs into the slot on the iMac. I have, successfully downloaded a few bits from 'Thingiverse' moved the file into the slicer and saved it on the spare SD card, which when transferred to the printer, prints away merrily!
I ordered some black PLA filament from Amazon, which seems to work well, in fact I have just ordered a real of white, of the same type. Less than half the price of the roll that I ordered with the printer.
I, now feel confident to download items from 'Thingiverse' and print them, I seem to have got the bed level on the printer and my prints are good.
My next challenge, is to master a CAD drawing package but with the help of YouTube videos and the net, I hope to be able to archive something soon................watch this space!
Dave

Tumble99

Registered
24 Aug 2020
Australia
Best answers
Country flag
Hey all, this is my first post on the forum. This week printing its been in pieces to8F2502A2-22A8-416E-A4E7-DBD3C8A52D85.jpegE0CF0193-A24B-410F-B16D-B58C4A760768.jpegEDBB6930-A1BC-4025-A935-C9C0053C88F3.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 users

mike

Master at annoying..
Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Rossendale
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
There's so much to see.. You guys have been busy.. Wify says I'm getting obessesed with the printer.. We don't know what she means..

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
There's so much to see.. You guys have been busy.. Wify says I'm getting obessesed with the printer.. We don't know what she means..
Hm that means she does not understand the effort involved with getting to grips with the tech, bit like trying to understand women really.

Last edited:

musket the dog

Registered
31 Oct 2009
Leicester
nlrr.webs.com
Best answers
Hey all, this is my first post on the forum. This week printing its been in pieces to

Wow, looks very impressive, certainly a big piece of kit. Is it one of the Leek and Manifold tanks?

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Wow, looks very impressive, certainly a big piece of kit. Is it one of the Leek and Manifold tanks?
I initially thought that but I reckon it is either an Oz or NZ loco.

Tumble99

Registered
24 Aug 2020
Australia
Best answers
Country flag
It isn’t a kit I’m afraid. It is a South Australian Railways F class I cannot claim the Stl file drawings as my own. However the chassis development is.

I am using a flash forge adventurer 3 to print with sunlu abs plastic. the printer has issues with layer adhesion but this print has came out okay.

mike

Master at annoying..
Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Rossendale
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
It's a credit to you. Regardless!
Today it's dry out, so I'm fitting the sides to the bridge.. IMG_20200824_113731.jpg

• Love

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
It isn’t a kit I’m afraid. It is a South Australian Railways F class I cannot claim the Stl file drawings as my own. However the chassis development is.

I am using a flash forge adventurer 3 to print with sunlu abs plastic. the printer has issues with layer adhesion but this print has came out okay.

Oh a nice loco and well printed be good to see it finished and a vid of it running pretty please.

The Shed

Citizen of the Republic of the North East.
8 Mar 2020
Darlington, County Durham.
Country
England
Best answers
Tinkering around for end of train markers....

Train end markers.png

ge_rik

British narrow gauge (esp. Southwold and W&LLR)
24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
www.riksrailway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
Just finished printing the 60+ parts needed for the beam engine. Although there are 54 different parts, multiple copies are needed of some parts such as the linkages for the piston rod.
View attachment 271799

Also, the firmware on my cheapo printer includes a bug which prevents the z axis rising above 36mm. A flaming nuisance but not insurmountable as I simply chop the taller parts into pieces no taller than 35mm and will then glue them back together.

I could install a more recent version of the firmware if I could find a way to get the motherboard to communicate with my laptop. As it's Arduino based I might be able to find an alternative way of doing it. If the worst comes to the worst, a new motherboard (hopefully with bug free firmware) is only £20!

Rik
Now put all the bits together and, surprisingly enough, it works. The quality of the printing from my £80 printer isn't the best - particularly with taller parts, but with a bit of work I think it will look OK.
IMG_1062.JPGIMG_1064.JPGIMG_1065.JPG

And what is more ....... it works!!

OK - it needs to be slowed down a bit. I've got one of those geared motors, but I need to modify the motor housing to take it.

Not bad for free ..... (apart from the cost of the plastic and the electric)

Rik

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Now put all the bits together and, surprisingly enough, it works. The quality of the printing from my £80 printer isn't the best - particularly with taller parts, but with a bit of work I think it will look OK.
View attachment 272090View attachment 272091View attachment 272092

OK - it needs to be slowed down a bit. I've got one of those geared motors, but I need to modify the motor housing to take it.

Rik
Excellent, and if you're going to be seeing it inside a building, then the detail's fine - can you not just reduce the voltage?

ge_rik

24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
Best answers
Country flag
Excellent, and if you're going to be seeing it inside a building, then the detail's fine - can you not just reduce the voltage?
I'm already only feeding 1.2v to the motor from a rechargeable cell, so not got much to play with.

Rik

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
I'm already only feeding 1.2v to the motor from a rechargeable cell, so not got much to play with.

Rik
:oops::oops: and presumably you're running it as the original video you should us - shaft to wheel rim.

Smaller motor then - I've got a couple salvaged from camera lenses :tmi::tmi: if you're interested.

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
View attachment 272090View attachment 272091View attachment 272092

Rik
Excellent as ever Rik, I reckon the slight roughness from the printing process looks very like casted parts which in fact is what they will have been just machined around the working parts.

ge_rik

24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
Best answers
Country flag
:oops::oops: and presumably you're running it as the original video you should us - shaft to wheel rim.
Yup! The easiest option as he also included a rig to hold the motor, battery and switch in the right position.

Smaller motor then - I've got a couple salvaged from camera lenses :tmi::tmi: if you're interested.
I'm just working on a Plan B - if that doesn't do the job then I might take you up on the offer...:)

Rik