What happened at your workbench today?

Southwestforests

Registered
2 Nov 2021
Missouri
Best answers
Country flag
Wishing y'all a fun and successful show. :)
Is the grey loco 4 cylinder?

Flying15

Registered
12 May 2015
London
Best answers
Country flag
Wishing y'all a fun and successful show. :)
Is the grey loco 4 cylinder?
Yes it was a 4cylinder loco.
It was built by the Great Eastern Railway in 1902 to prove a steam loco could accelerate as fast as the new fangled electric trains of the time.
It never went into service, and was used just prove a point! It was to heavy and carried too little coal and water to be useful in real day to day service.
It was quietly put aside and later rebuilt into an 0-8-0 goods tender loco that was scrapped around about the end of WW1.

Reactions: 1 user

DafyddElvy

1:22.5 & 15mm Scale Trams, , NG Steam Railways
10 Feb 2021
West Lothian
Country
Scotland
Best answers
Country flag
Maybe not the most interesting item I have posted but an important one.

I'm not sure where where the large scale tramway modelling is going to take me, I don't know if a layout will come of the baseboards, I don't even know if the track built so far will remain an in house test track or become something more in the workshop or loft.
Because of the unknown I decided I wanted to make the baseboards interchangeable, so a template would be required and I decided to make something as simple as possible and still be reliable.
So I made the simplest thing I could, and I built it with only one end blanked, and it works, so I'm happy.

David

Attachments

• 20211128_195331.jpg
    20211128_195331.jpg
    560 KB · Views: 0

trammayo

Interested in vintage commercial vehicle, trams, t
24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
Maybe not the most interesting item I have posted but an important one.

I'm not sure where where the large scale tramway modelling is going to take me, I don't know if a layout will come of the baseboards, I don't even know if the track built so far will remain an in house test track or become something more in the workshop or loft.
Because of the unknown I decided I wanted to make the baseboards interchangeable, so a template would be required and I decided to make something as simple as possible and still be reliable.
So I made the simplest thing I could, and I built it with only one end blanked, and it works, so I'm happy.

David
Not sure I get what you're doing and how it all fits together? I think more photos are required:)

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Not sure I get what you're doing and how it all fits together? I think more photos are required:)
If my eyes are not deceiving me it is a jig for drilling holes in baseboard end pieces.

trammayo

24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
If my eyes are not deceiving me it is a jig for drilling holes in baseboard end pieces.
Yes I think you're right Jon! Too early in the morning for me to recognise that:snooze:

DafyddElvy

1:22.5 & 15mm Scale Trams, , NG Steam Railways
10 Feb 2021
West Lothian
Country
Scotland
Best answers
Country flag
End view of the baseboard with the jig above the board joint.

The only thing I know for sure is that all double track baseboards will be 342mm wide. I have a suspicion the tram baseboards could end up in the loft or the workshop, when it gets built, and I want to have the flexibility to be able to add or remove boards between the two end corner boards.

David

Attachments

• 20211129_113816_002.jpg
    20211129_113816_002.jpg
    289.1 KB · Views: 0

trammayo

24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
End view of the baseboard with the jig above the board joint.

The only thing I know for sure is that all double track baseboards will be 342mm wide. I have a suspicion the tram baseboards could end up in the loft or the workshop, when it gets built, and I want to have the flexibility to be able to add or remove boards between the two end corner boards.

David

Thanks David - I understand now!

Southwestforests

Registered
2 Nov 2021
Missouri
Best answers
Country flag
It hasn't happened yet and isn't going to happen at the workbench but the intent is to take advantage of the 60+ F weather today and spray paint the window glass panels for the PRR coaches in an interior wood color.
Masked off where they need to remain clear and will spray the clear panels' interior surface thereby keeping the clear panels' outer surface paint free so it can be re-secured to interior of carbody without having to scrape paint off gluing surfaces.

philg

Registered
28 Nov 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Yes it was a 4cylinder loco.
It was built by the Great Eastern Railway in 1902 to prove a steam loco could accelerate as fast as the new fangled electric trains of the time.
It never went into service, and was used just prove a point! It was to heavy and carried too little coal and water to be useful in real day to day service.
It was quietly put aside and later rebuilt into an 0-8-0 goods tender loco that was scrapped around about the end of WW1.
Pedant's corner here ! It was a 3-cylinder arrangement, this being thought to help with the rapid acceleration needed. The centre connecting rod had to be a sort of A shape to clear the leading axles, one of which was cranked. A quick internet search will bring up drawings of the whole layout. It makes a magnificent model though.

Flying15

Registered
12 May 2015
London
Best answers
Country flag
Pedant's corner here ! It was a 3-cylinder arrangement, this being thought to help with the rapid acceleration needed. The centre connecting rod had to be a sort of A shape to clear the leading axles, one of which was cranked. A quick internet search will bring up drawings of the whole layout. It makes a magnificent model though.
Quite right. No idea where I got the idea of 4 cylinders from
Only weak excuse is age and failing recollection
Thanks for correcting
Thanks for kind words on the model

FatherMcD

Registered
13 Mar 2014
Idaho
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
Not being particularly familiar with UK locomotives, what search terms should I use for more information?

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Having completed the WnU kit ( Wisbech and Upwell Coach Kit. ) build it was time for a clean up prior to the next project. Well continuation of the North Pilton Flexicity Tram kit, one that I am not looking forward to getting to grips with again despite its advanced state of build. Oh and the Blue Van needs to be returned to the Shed.
C97BD8BE-3D07-4C22-A376-57DB02071969.jpeg

3 minutes of fame

3d printing, electronics and trams
14 Dec 2020
Lincolnshire
www.mgnr.uk
Best answers
Country flag
And now for something completely different...

In my continuing quest to get my neighbours to roll their eyes every time they gaze upon my Christmas lights display, this is the latest addition.

For scale, its just under 4' long and 1' wide. Lit with electroluminesent wire, it runs off 5v usb, along with my tree lights.

Laser cut in 5mm ply and on a chipboard chassis with treated wood chassis, all sprayed with a few coats of varnish, it should see the festive season out...20211201_152600.jpg

Andreas

Registered
26 Jan 2021
79576 Weil am Rhein, Germany
Country
Germany
fam-weniger.jimdofree.com
Best answers
Country flag
Hi,
Not directly at the workbench - more at the desk. My small, freely developed (Fowler) diesel locomotive is taking shape. The chassis and the cabin will be made of polystyrene. I want to 3D print the detailed parts. The drive is planned with a battery.

Attachments

• IMG_20211202_111818.jpg
    IMG_20211202_111818.jpg
    338.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    95.8 KB · Views: 0
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    85.9 KB · Views: 0

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
Progress on the coach:

Bought some Tenmille 24 mm wheels from GRS to replace the plastic one supplied, however the 2 mm axles were a little small for the 3 mm axle box, but a piece of 3 mm tube did the job

Inside painted and seats covered in felt, however next time paint the inside before assembly, this wasn't easy

The outside sanding sealer, primer and top coat, new lovers, door handles, rear steps and lamp bracket, again GRS, decals by Stan Cedarleaf. Leat to dry and harden, next week varnish and chassis.

Varnished, wheels and roof added, just awaiting glazing, people and the last touch ups:

DSC_0232.JPG

DSC_0233.JPG

DSC_0234.JPG

Andreas

Registered
26 Jan 2021
79576 Weil am Rhein, Germany
Country
Germany
fam-weniger.jimdofree.com
Best answers
Country flag
Hi,
Not directly at the workbench - more at the desk. My small, freely developed (Fowler) diesel locomotive is taking shape. The chassis and the cabin will be made of polystyrene. I want to 3D print the detailed parts. The drive is planned with a battery.
its going on,the first parts from the 3D printer, not quite easy, the cab is 1.5mm larger than the print area - but it was enough

IMG_20211217_095805.jpgIMG_20211217_095827.jpgIMG_20211217_095903.jpgIMG_20211217_095910.jpg
Some Details - only pictures from smartphone
IMG_20211217_112843.jpgIMG_20211217_112856.jpgIMG_20211217_112913.jpg

Last edited: