What happened at your workbench today?

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
Yesterday I received a "finger slip", and after checking the contents, placed them back in the box and put it on my workbench for a more detailed check later, however it would seem this detail check needs to be delayed:

IMG_1273.JPEG

Reactions: 1 users

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
For security purposes (not to mention potential comfy new resting-places) all items entering the working area, must undergo a cat-scan!
:nerd::nod::nod:

Reactions: 1 user

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
What happened at my workbench last night was that I knocked over the bottle of what is left of my PollyScale 'steam power black' paint
and in what I'm going to classify as a minor miracle it stopped just short of flowing over the the proverbial "kitchen table's edge on to the apartment carpet.
:eek: :whew: :clap:
This time the sad fact of it almost being all used up and being irreplaceable saved me from damaging someone else's property.

The other minor miracle is that the paint is still good after at least 15 years!
These were bought in UK, but a couple of bits of foam could easily be hacked into something similar. The smaller holes in the piece with 5 cutouts is for Humbrol Tinlets as shown.
image.jpg

Last edited:

The Shed

Citizen of the Republic of the North East.
8 Mar 2020
Darlington, County Durham.
Country
England
Best answers
Playing around with Reed Switches, weather bad, Arthritis playing havoc, rather than mooching about, decided to occupy the old Grey Cells.
Modified H Bridge to operate two LGB Point Motors activated by two powered Reed Switches.

H Bridge overview.jpg

Last edited:

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Best answers
Country flag
Yesterday I received a "finger slip", and after checking the contents, placed them back in the box and put it on my workbench for a more detailed check later, however it would seem this detail check needs to be delayed:

View attachment 292285
Certainly a "You try to move me if you dare" look.

phils2um

Phil S
11 Sep 2015
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
I took care of a minor annoyance this afternoon. I lost another LGB turnout lantern lid when cleaning up leaves the other day. This makes about five that have been knocked off and lost over the last few years. I had two pack of spares by Champex-Linden, but am down to my last one. The lids are stocked by Only Trains here in the US. CL30050 Cover for LGB Lamps

I finally got smart and glued the lids on the lanterns with CA adhesive. I still sometimes knock a whole lantern off its base but it is much easier to find than just the lid.

point lantern - 1.jpeg

Edit added: pardon my horrible spelling!

Last edited:

3 minutes of fame

3d printing, electronics and trams
14 Dec 2020
Lincolnshire
www.mgnr.uk
Best answers
Country flag
I took care of a minor annoyance this afternoon. I lost another LGB turnout lantern lid when cleaning up leaves the other day. This makes about five that have been knocked off and lost over the last few years. I had two pack of spares by Champex-Linden, but am down to my last one. The lids are stocked by Only Trains here in the US. CL30050 Cover for LGB Lamps

I finally got smart and glued the lids on the lanterns with CA adhesive. I still sometimes knock a whole lantern off its base but it is much easier to find than just the lid.

View attachment 292455
That looks like a perfect candidate for a 3d print... Send me a fully dimensioned drawing and I'll put the design on thingiverse.

JimmyB

23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
Best answers
Country flag

View attachment 292455
I noticed a whole lantern missing of one of my switches, crow, fox or cat as the culprit as I have all these move items on the railway. Luckily a sharp eyed Mrs B spotted it some 5 feet away. :)

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Best answers
Country flag
I noticed a whole lantern missing of one of my switches, crow, fox or cat as the culprit as I have all these move items on the railway. Luckily a sharp eyed Mrs B spotted it some 5 feet away. :)
Foxes are quite the movers of things, toys, balls, small shoes.

Southwestforests

Registered
2 Nov 2021
Missouri
Best answers
Country flag
Though today's featured happening was not at the workbench it will cause a happening at the workbench in the near future.
We bring you the case of the lucky lost (again) locomotive brake shoe ...

(will have to remember what I did to fix/affix it several years ago, because it didn't last)

51684960971_ab9704aec2_z.jpg

51685862150_868b4733e9_z.jpg

trammayo

Interested in vintage commercial vehicle, trams, t
24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
Though today's featured happening was not at the workbench it will cause a happening at the workbench in the near future.
We bring you the case of the lucky lost (again) locomotive brake shoe ...

(will have to remember what I did to fix/affix it several years ago, because it didn't last)

51684960971_ab9704aec2_z.jpg

51685862150_868b4733e9_z.jpg
Yes - a typical Bachmann problem!

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
I've been attempting to use an old roadworks sign to make a building. Unfortunately my plan isn't going well. I'm going to have a rethink. 20211117_065046.jpg
It doesn't really work like foamboard, but it will make a great shell, so I'm sure something will come of it

ARIA31

Registered
3 Oct 2017
Toulouse - France
Best answers
Country flag
For southwestforest, the brake pad is only inserted by force on the Bachman 4 6 0. (no glue) as far as I know.

Southwestforests

Registered
2 Nov 2021
Missouri
Best answers
Country flag
the brake pad is only inserted by force on the Bachman 4 6 0. (no glue)
The thing is, the brake part itself broke just a bit outboard of the tab which fits in to slot in frame on the Big Hauler brake shoes: the Anniversary edition 4-6-0 makes 2 parts out of what is 1 part on the Big Hauler 4-6-0.
Break is where the orange line is that I drew on this parts photo from Bachmann's website;

51688239915_8e821921ae_o.jpg

This is the Big Hauler brake shoe part,

This is the Annie brake shoe part,

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
3D printing comes to mind for that

JimmyB

23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
Best answers
Country flag
Currently I have 3 things on the go on my work bench:
  • A Timpdon 2 Compartment Coach
View attachment 291356
Progress on the coach:

Bought some Tenmille 24 mm wheels from GRS to replace the plastic one supplied, however the 2 mm axles were a little small for the 3 mm axle box, but a piece of 3 mm tube did the job

Inside painted and seats covered in felt, however next time paint the inside before assembly, this wasn't easy

The outside sanding sealer, primer and top coat, new lovers, door handles, rear steps and lamp bracket, again GRS, decals by Stan Cedarleaf. Leat to dry and harden, next week varnish and chassis.

Reactions: 3 users

-bbbb

Registered
21 Dec 2017
Idaho
Best answers
Country flag
The process of making newer LGB(?) lanterns fit an older LGB caboose was started with some filing so they would fit with the roof closed:
1.JPG3.JPG
Also drilled into a playmobil stove to use it as a less conspicuous wire conduit. The wires on that side will go through a hole in the floor beneath the stove to reach the metal wheels for track power:
2.JPG4.JPG
Some interior lights should probably be added.

Reactions: 1 users

Flying15

Registered
12 May 2015
London
Best answers
Country flag
Getting Crib Lane 0ADBA143-FE22-4F53-845E-C3F845CC6A98.jpeg0ADBA143-FE22-4F53-845E-C3F845CC6A98.jpeg3513845D-49EB-4371-A946-3555707871F9.jpeg39BB197B-22C9-405E-8F01-9B7ACF28C15E.jpeglayout and locos ready today for Sunday’s G scale show at Henfield in Sussex.
Looking forward to what will hopefully be a return to something close to normality.
Looks like a good line up of layouts and some trade support!

Reactions: 1 user