Best answers
Country flag

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Well, today I have been working on one of the previously enjoyed Fn3 flats wot I bought, turning this one into a low-sided gon. The timber comes ready cut to size from Cornwall Model Boats (all you have to do is to sand the arris on each outside edge to accentuate the joint) and the coach bolt heads are formed by using Peco track pins. Even with this method, you have to drill holes first. This is the only practical use that I know of for this product, as they're absolutely useless for pinning track unless you use the old fibreboard for your baseboard. It's not often that Peco produce a turkey, but these tracks pins were it.

DSCF2252.JPG

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
Off the workbench and on to the track for little testing due to the dry whether:

IMG_1292.JPEG

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
... And now for something completely different!
IMG_20211219_135940.jpg
It will fit... But a little trouble with the drive..
I think one of the worms is binding?
:(

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
If I didn't know better, I'd say that was HOe Minitrains :p:p

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
It was described as an Egger Bahn 009
"Plymouth" 12 Steam loco!

I think one of the worms, might be slipping on the motor shaft?

I am at a loss, on how to proceed, trying to get the chassis to run nicely.
:(:wondering:

LGB and g scale, it isn't! :nerd:

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag

No, it's Minitrains, but possibly of a certain vintage. Never took my Minitrains chassis apart, but if it has a worm drive, it may be one of the newer versions.

However, Minitrains were resurrected a few years ago, and that diesel may well still be on the roster.

Not sure who stocks the stuff though.

phils2um

Phil S
11 Sep 2015
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
I took another run at figuring out the track pickup trouble on my LGB 2045 Ge4/2. I think I actually discovered what the problem was! One of the carbon brush holders on the leading/trailing truck with the pickups was missing its spring. I don't know how it got lost as there is no way for it to go missing the way the truck is designed. It might have been missing from day 1. To fix it I needed to pull a wheel off the axle.

I just kind of bodged wheels off in the past with a two-jaw pulley puller and a slotted block of wood. It was always a pita. Today I finally took the advice of someone who I think posted on this forum to make a wheel puller by modifying a "C" clamp. I wish I knew who it was so I could give proper credit. In any case, out came the die grinder and after about a half hour of trial and error - one wheel puller! It works great.

Wheel puller - 1.jpeg
Wheel puller - 1 (1).jpegWheel puller - 1 (2).jpeg

Edit added: Thanks Greg Elmassian for the idea. I did probably see it on your site.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

Andreas

Registered
26 Jan 2021
79576 Weil am Rhein, Germany
Country
Germany
fam-weniger.jimdofree.com
Best answers
Country flag
Ich habe einen weiteren Versuch unternommen, das Problem mit der Spuraufnahme auf meinem LGB 2045 Ge4/2 herauszufinden. Ich glaube, ich habe tatsächlich herausgefunden, was das Problem war! Einem der Kohlebürstenhalter am Vor-/Nachlaufwagen mit den Pickups fehlte seine Feder. Ich weiß nicht, wie es verloren gegangen ist, da es bei der Konstruktion des Trucks auf keinen Fall verloren gehen kann. Es könnte von Tag 1 an gefehlt haben. Um es zu reparieren, musste ich ein Rad von der Achse ziehen.

Ich habe in der Vergangenheit nur die Räder mit einem zweibackigen Riemenscheibenabzieher und einem geschlitzten Holzblock abgeschraubt. Es war immer eine Pita. Heute habe ich endlich den Rat von jemandem befolgt, von dem ich glaube, dass er in diesem Forum gepostet hat, um einen Radabzieher durch Modifizieren einer "C" -Klemme zu bauen. Ich wünschte, ich wüsste, wer es war, damit ich angemessene Anerkennung zollen könnte. Auf jeden Fall kam der Geradschleifer raus und nach etwa einer halben Stunde Ausprobieren - ein Radabzieher! Es funktioniert super.

View attachment 293382View attachment 293383
Hallo,
kannst du bitte zeigen wie du es anziehst. Ich verstehe die Funktion. Kann mir aber die Anwendung nicht vorstellen.
Vielen Dank im Voraus

Andreas

phils2um

Phil S
11 Sep 2015
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
Hallo,
kannst du bitte zeigen wie du es anziehst. Ich verstehe die Funktion. Kann mir aber die Anwendung nicht vorstellen.
Vielen Dank im Voraus
Sure, here you go -
Wheel puller - 1 (3).jpeg Wheel puller - 1 (4).jpeg Wheel puller - 1 (5).jpeg

Note that the same modified "C" clamp can be used to drive the wheel back on the axle when opened wide. It can be used to adjust the spur gear position on the axle or install a replacement gear too.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag

If that be the case UV glue may be your saviour.

casey jones snr

Registered
20 Apr 2010
Charnwood Forest Railway. Rothley. Leics.
Country
England
Best answers
Country flag
I took another run at figuring out the track pickup trouble on my LGB 2045 Ge4/2. I think I actually discovered what the problem was! One of the carbon brush holders on the leading/trailing truck with the pickups was missing its spring. I don't know how it got lost as there is no way for it to go missing the way the truck is designed. It might have been missing from day 1. To fix it I needed to pull a wheel off the axle.

I just kind of bodged wheels off in the past with a two-jaw pulley puller and a slotted block of wood. It was always a pita. Today I finally took the advice of someone who I think posted on this forum to make a wheel puller by modifying a "C" clamp. I wish I knew who it was so I could give proper credit. In any case, out came the die grinder and after about a half hour of trial and error - one wheel puller! It works great.

View attachment 293384
View attachment 293382View attachment 293383
What a great idea.

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Well, today I have been working on one of the previously enjoyed Fn3 flats wot I bought, turning this one into a low-sided gon. The timber comes ready cut to size from Cornwall Model Boats (all you have to do is to sand the arris on each outside edge to accentuate the joint) and the coach bolt heads are formed by using Peco track pins. Even with this method, you have to drill holes first. This is the only practical use that I know of for this product, as they're absolutely useless for pinning track unless you use the old fibreboard for your baseboard. It's not often that Peco produce a turkey, but these tracks pins were it.

View attachment 293317
They are quite good for Rivets in cardboard and foamboard stock builds.

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
If that be the case UV glue may be your saviour.
Jon, the problem is I can adjust things, and it will run a few revolutions, then lock-up again..
Very difficult to see / feel where the worm should be. If I glue it, and am wrong, it is game-over. :(

I have wondered about getting the motor out. Removing the worm, and very lightly knurling the shaft..
Just enough so that the worm will hold..
Adjust, until running nicely, then a drop of loctite, to fix it in place.

The battery and receiver, are an easy fit. But it does need to run sweetly, first.

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Jon, the problem is I can adjust things, and it will run a few revolutions, then lock-up again..
Very difficult to see / feel where the worm should be. If I glue it, and am wrong, it is game-over. :(

I have wondered about getting the motor out. Removing the worm, and very lightly knurling the shaft..
Just enough so that the worm will hold..
Adjust, until running nicely, then a drop of loctite, to fix it in place.

The battery and receiver, are an easy fit. But it does need to run sweetly, first.
Hm I wonder if the other gear has a slight split causing this issue, if so probably game over unless you can find a replacement.

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Hm I wonder if the other gear has a slight split causing this issue, if so probably game over unless you can find a replacement.
Don't think so..
I marked the wheels, to try to see if they were both moving 'in sync', but any differences are very small..
Difficult.

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Best answers
Country flag
No, it's Minitrains, but possibly of a certain vintage. Never took my Minitrains chassis apart, but if it has a worm drive, it may be one of the newer versions.

However, Minitrains were resurrected a few years ago, and that diesel may well still be on the roster.

Not sure who stocks the stuff though.
Here is one stockist: Minitrains