What happened at your workbench today?

Steen Rudberg

Registered
5 Apr 2016
Helsingør
www.5inch.dk
Best answers
Country flag
My "New" RhB timber cars are on the way.

I'm in 3dr version for next print session.
265599195_3054197911489400_164285508404080905_n.jpg 267540818_3054197878156070_602218312442734950_n.jpg
First version, before dividing in to parts.
269733208_3060178574224667_3604558959815538346_n.jpg
Second versionFirst version

Fezwig

Registered
5 Jul 2016
Croft, Warrington
Best answers
Country flag
I manage to acquire a DJB small half brake just before xmas so have spent the last week slowly layering the sides together, good job I got some wood glue too :)
DSC_0210.JPG
Also good job Halfords filler under coat is the right shade for the inside.
DSC_0213.JPG
test fit
DSC_0218.JPG
You just can't have enough clamps!!
DSC_0217.JPG

Reactions: 1 user

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
I thought I ought to get a move on, before the next project arrives :oops::oops:

DSCF2265.JPG

casey jones snr

Registered
20 Apr 2010
Charnwood Forest Railway. Rothley. Leics.
Country
England
Best answers
Country flag
As it is Boxing Day, I have done absolutely nothing at the CFR work bench. However on the run up to Christmas I carried out a complete service of a Roundhouse Millie:-
B339D485-B4BF-4785-8887-81BED8C2B799.jpeg

Millie on the rolling road after a service.

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
You actually finish one project before starting the next one? I didn't know that was even possible!
Well ........................ the issue is more to do with worksurface space during the colder months - working in the shed is rather uninviting :mask::mask:

justme igor

Registered
17 Apr 2020
Netherlands Westwoud
Country
Netherlands
Best answers
Country flag
You actually finish one project before starting the next one? I didn't know that was even possible!
It is not possible, in my opinion.
Considering also it is one big project that will never end?
... the issue is more to do with worksurface space during the colder months - working in the shed is rather uninviting :mask::mask:
Well I often wonder what some people can do if they would have access to my space and tools.
I mean I see so much wonderful things appearing out of nothing, with such limited materials and tools, I often think they have a secret or two, but that is a thought.
Basically this is also a question for all of you to make a topic in scratch build.
Show us your magic.
With best regards Igor

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Nothyet,, but I've 2 new buildings and 2 Binnie skips turn up in my stocking, and awaiting my attention

Fezwig

Registered
5 Jul 2016
Croft, Warrington
Best answers
Country flag
I thought I ought to get a move on, before the next project arrives :oops::oops:

View attachment 293636
Well, I had project in mind, then the chance to aquire a half brake came up and was too tempting not to start, then the parts for the first one where kindly delivered by a well-known practitioner of this parish, so I'm now like a kid in a sweet shop, get behind me satan:devil:

Chris Vernell

Tortoise
24 Oct 2009
Nepean, ON
Country
Canada
Best answers
Country flag
... get behind me, Satan :devil:
He'll just give you a push into deeper perdition. Safer to keep him in front where you can keep an eye on him. Or call the Right Rev. Rhino for an exorcism.

Reactions: 1 users

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
He'll just give you a push into deeper perdition. Safer to keep him in front where you can keep an eye on him. Or call the Right Rev. Rhino for an exorcism.
Absolutely - if it's too tempting, you can send it here for safe keeping :devil: :devil: :devil:

Northsider

Modelling the Northern half of the Isle of Man
3 May 2012
Hertfordshire
Best answers
Country flag
Reminds me what a lovely kit this was to make, and the museum quality of the subsequent model. Pricey, but so well worth it. A real shame we are unlikely to ever see a second production run of any of the DJB IOM carriage kits...

justme igor

Registered
17 Apr 2020
Netherlands Westwoud
Country
Netherlands
Best answers
Country flag
Reminds me what a lovely kit this was to make, and the museum quality of the subsequent model. Pricey, but so well worth it. A real shame we are unlikely to ever see a second production run of any of the DJB IOM carriage kits...
Make it yourself?
I bet someone has a drawing or two, copy paste? laser cutter?

Just my thoughts

Northsider

3 May 2012
Hertfordshire
Best answers
Country flag
Make it yourself?

Just my thoughts
Yes, those things are possible, but the level of detail, the thought given to construction and the quality of the whitemetal castings makes it a quality product. I've tried to match it when laser cutting other rolling stock, but it doesn't come close...

justme igor

Registered
17 Apr 2020
Netherlands Westwoud
Country
Netherlands
Best answers
Country flag
whitemetal castings
plain lead? plain tin? or a mix.(dont forget to add bismuth or antimony)
I think i am able to tell you a secret or two to make detailed castings, there are some tricks.

Northsider

3 May 2012
Hertfordshire
Best answers
Country flag
plain lead? plain tin? or a mix.(dont forget to add bismuth or antimony)
I think i am able to tell you a secret or two to make detailed castings, there are some tricks.
There are no fixed parent metals for the alloy referred to as whitemetal: White metal - Wikipedia

I've done plenty of casting in the past -mostly aluminium- but it's not something I'm planning on doing at home!

Fezwig

Registered
5 Jul 2016
Croft, Warrington
Best answers
Country flag
Make it yourself?

Just my thoughts
The problem is the sheer high quality of the kit, for example each side is made up by 5 layers in order to recreate the tumble home, as for castings there's hundreds of them, hinges, Queen Post, step brackets etc I don't see how DJB made any money on them

justme igor

Registered
17 Apr 2020
Netherlands Westwoud
Country
Netherlands
Best answers
Country flag
There are no fixed parent metals for the alloy referred to as whitemetal: White metal - Wikipedia

I've done plenty of casting in the past -mostly aluminium- but it's not something I'm planning on doing at home!
Ah babbit, here is my experience with that:
Most babbit/white metal alloys are not good for casting fine print.
Excellent for bearings and some plates, cups and such, for juwelary it is nice to cast some crude forms and engrave them.
I think my casting with pb based metals (incl mixing)exceeds over 10 tons in the last 40 years and not only ingots.
When mixing in some copper (max 7.5%) in your pb blend you will have to start casting with pressure and keep a close eye on the viscosity, add sn to break the surface tension, but no zinc must be present.
Ect

Casting aluminium is a different story, i just started that endevor a couple of years ago, i am up to the point that i almost know witch alu type i must have for that particular project(incl zamak alloy)
Yes casting is fun, always keep an eye on safety.
I cast pb based alloys in the shed with plenty of air refreshment in a semi closed enclosure, indeed dont think to light about lead poising, it is a sneaky one and very slow, half time from your body is even slower.
Be aware of severe burns and even splashing of your molten metals, your not playing with boiling water

Casting alu, copper and such i do outside, the heat needed is just to massive for in the shed(i still dont have a small electric furnace).
Still casting ingots with those metals, and some sand casting experiments.
I think also most alu alloys need a certain salt? to give it during casting a better flow.

With best regards Igor