What happened at your workbench today?

Jasper

Hey, I'm only being creative here.
11 Mar 2017
The Netherlands
Best answers
Country flag
'First Choice Airlines have some of the finest cabin staff in the industry, unfortunately none of them are on this flight.' The cabin descended into uproar.
It's basically a good joke, but it's been made a thousand times. I'm honestly surprised it roused anyone.

David1226

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Abingdon, Oxfordshire
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
It's basically a good joke, but it's been made a thousand times. I'm honestly surprised it roused anyone.

I did say it was a few years ago, perhaps it was new then.

David

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag

Classic jokes, like classic music, are still around because they're still good.... ;)

Jon.

musket the dog

Registered
31 Oct 2009
Leicester
nlrr.webs.com
Best answers
I imagine all jokes about cabin crew have done their fair share of miles

casey jones snr

Registered
20 Apr 2010
Charnwood Forest Railway. Rothley. Leics.
Country
England
Best answers
Country flag
I’ve spent last few days building and painting a Swift Sixteen Guards Van:-
DE1877F4-935D-4F35-A968-267D6FC60BF7.jpegC55EBEC5-8740-4EBC-AC4C-8B63B87441FD.jpeg4E16D92A-52BF-4714-B3C7-D1BC935A26AC.jpeg081690D7-DB8A-4A91-A800-53CAD3D130F1.jpegIt is a very easy kit to build. There was very little flash and all the joints were square and true. I fitted Binnie buffers as they are compatible with my other rolling stock.

The Shed

Citizen of the Republic of the North East.
8 Mar 2020
Darlington, County Durham.
Country
England
Best answers
Populating blank PCB's for Arduino Nano 8 port DCC accessory decoders.

DCC 8 port PCB.png

DCC 8 port populated PCB.png

3 x DCC 8 port populated PCB.png

Arduino UNO DCC 4 port accessory decoder for relays.

DCC 4 port relay board on-off.png

Testing a LGB 55029 retro fit decoder.

Marklin-LGB 55029 decoder.png

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
I’ve spent last few days building and painting a Swift Sixteen Guards Van:-
View attachment 273328View attachment 273329View attachment 273330View attachment 273331It is a very easy kit to build. There was very little flash and all the joints were square and true. I fitted Binnie buffers as they are compatible with my other rolling stock.
Casey, sorry to ask, but are you sure that the duckett are in the right place? The sliding doors look like they wont open

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Casey, sorry to ask, but are you sure that the duckett are in the right place? The sliding doors look like they wont open
The ducket slides :nod: :nod: :nod: ;)

Paul2727

Registered
5 Jun 2018
The Cotswolds
Best answers
Country flag
Still up to my eyeballs in packing up everything for the (Now much delayed.) (Thanks Covid... NOT..!) house move.
Anyhoo, I've come across all kinds of train related rammel. So I've had a bit of a play.
Those of a sensitive nature should look away now!
Ingredients:
3/4 of a much abused LGB porter saddle tank.
1/8 of a early Bachmann LYN.
Wiring loom and lamps from a long dead Otto.
Add plasti-card and assorted sprinkles to taste.
Mix thoroughly.

Joking aside, the Lyn cab only needed a couple of mm off the boiler opening to fit the LGB / Playtrain boiler. 9mm slice off the rear of the wrecked lYN chassis / boiler assembly provided the extra length needed and filled the original mounting holes.
Still quite a bit to do to yet, ( like a nice tall straight funnel.) But has some potential.
The only question is what name give this unholy union. As obviously LYN no longer fits the bill.
Any suggestions?

NB: No functioning locomotives were destroyed in this experiment. All parts from the junk / spares box.
2020-09-19 001 001.JPG2020-09-19 001 002.JPG2020-09-19 001 003.JPG2020-09-19 001 006.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

The Shed

8 Mar 2020
Country
England
Best answers
'The only question is what name to give this unholy union. As obviously LYN no longer fits the bill.'

How does Oaklyn (OAKLYN) sound, 'LYN' as in a lake or pond, Oak as growing from small acorns.

casey jones snr

Registered
20 Apr 2010
Charnwood Forest Railway. Rothley. Leics.
Country
England
Best answers
Country flag
Paul, the sliding doors were modified by the CFR staff so they couldn’t open. The interior of the Guards van was rebuilt and the ducketts were added.

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Still up to my eyeballs in packing up everything for the (Now much delayed.) (Thanks Covid... NOT..!) house move.
Anyhoo, I've come across all kinds of train related rammel. So I've had a bit of a play.
Those of a sensitive nature should look away now!
Ingredients:
3/4 of a much abused LGB porter saddle tank.
1/8 of a early Bachmann LYN.
Add plasti-card and assorted sprinkles to taste.
Mix thoroughly.

Joking aside, the Lyn cab only needed a couple of mm off the boiler opening to fit the LGB / Playtrain chassis. 9mm slice off the rear of the wrecked lYN chassis / boiler assembly provided the extra length need and filled the original mounting holes.
Still quite a bit to do to yet, ( like a nice tall straight funnel.) But has some potential.
The only question is what name give this unholy union. As obviously LYN no longer fits the bill.
Any suggestions?

NB: No functioning locomotives were destroyed in this experiment. All parts from the junk / spares box.
View attachment 273344View attachment 273345View attachment 273346View attachment 273347
An all weather cab for a Porter, very nice.

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
Friday turned up two points that were not working correctly, so yesterday was the fix, both LGB R3 with LGB point motors and ancillary switches.
The first point the motor was not activating the switch, and though the motor was working and the switch worked independently, it would seem the mechanism, wasn't quite right to through the switches, some cleaning and readjustment and all was fine, just a fiddly job to do.
The second point, which had a dead line between the frog and blade had to be removed to work on. It was quickly identified that "spot welded" connection had failed, so heavy duty soldering iron and some 5 amp wire sorted that. Also I identified that the copper connections to the blades were not as good as they could have been, so whilst the point was removed these were also remedied. All back in place and power has been restored.

LGeoB

Registered
12 Dec 2017
Perth, Western Australia
Country
Australia
Best answers
Country flag
Friday turned up two points that were not working correctly, so yesterday was the fix, both LGB R3 with LGB point motors and ancillary switches.
The first point the motor was not activating the switch, and though the motor was working and the switch worked independently, it would seem the mechanism, wasn't quite right to through the switches, some cleaning and readjustment and all was fine, just a fiddly job to do.
The second point, which had a dead line between the frog and blade had to be removed to work on. It was quickly identified that "spot welded" connection had failed, so heavy duty soldering iron and some 5 amp wire sorted that. Also I identified that the copper connections to the blades were not as good as they could have been, so whilst the point was removed these were also remedied. All back in place and power has been restored.
Yes I've had these problems. I had a number of R3 points that had the spot weld fail in the same place. I also had dead blades so wired them to the fixed rails.

Geoff

David1226

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Abingdon, Oxfordshire
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
Although the time since I completed the Claptowte Railway goods wagons can be measured in years, I never got around to creating and goods for them to carry. I recently created some folded empty coal sacks to adorn I.P Blacks storage bins at Gernise End Station. I did this by cutting off the doubled over hem of an old cotton bed sheet, that I used as a dust sheet when decorating, and cutting it into suitable lengths.. It further occurred to me that I could use this material to create filled sacks for use as freight on wagons.

I started by cutting off and trimming the remaining hem.

P9200010.JPG

Next, gripping the end in a bulldog clip, I introduced some superglue into the top that both sealed the end and stiffened to opening.

P9200011.JPG

Having cut the sack to length I then filled the sacks from the bottom end using split red lentils (other fillings are available). The last thing to go into the bottom of the sack was a small plasticard offcut. The plasticard was daubed with superglue and the bottom of the sack was then folded over to stick to this to seal the sack and at the same time provide a flat(ish) bottom..

P9200012.JPG

P9200013.JPG

The next stage will be to paint the sacks after first sealing with a coat of grey primer. I think they will end up as sacks of potatoes.

David

Last edited:

The Shed

8 Mar 2020
Country
England
Best answers
Post 30 from here....

Online User Guide.

Purchased from here... Sparkfun WAV Trigger | WIG-13660 | SparkFun

As well as the WAV Trigger board, a USB to Serial converter is required to program the WAV Trigger board with the WAV Trigger software, which is an executable stand alone program file, does not need or require any dependencies from the Windows operating system.

Setting up and use, the Online User Guide is comprehensive and explanatory.

Wav Trigger.png

Hooked up to a Arduino DCC accessory decoder....

DCC WAV Trigger.png

Grid paper, pencil, eraser and ruler, to create a diagram and working guide, just need yet another Arduino Nano.