What happened at your workbench today?

Paul2727

Registered
5 Jun 2018
The Cotswolds
Best answers
Country flag
'The only question is what name to give this unholy union. As obviously LYN no longer fits the bill.'

How does Oaklyn (OAKLYN) sound, 'LYN' as in a lake or pond, Oak as growing from small acorns.

Great minds obviously think alike
I was considering Brooklyn
Brook as in a flowing body of water smaller than a river. (Lyn and he sister locos were all named after rivers.) Also the name of a borough of New York City . So a nod to its American origins.
So a smaller loco than Lyn with american heritage.
Does that make any sense?
Currently experimenting with the sawn off smoke box of yet another scrap Porter to see if it's possible to graft on the opening smoke box door from the remains of the doomed Lyn. (Waste not, want not.) May also fill in the gap behind the front buffer beam and give it a less 'wooden' appearance. Shame there's not enough room for a set of leading or trailing wheels, but you can't have everything.
Paul.

Last edited:

The Shed

Citizen of the Republic of the North East.
8 Mar 2020
Darlington, County Durham.
Country
England
Best answers
Also thought along those lines, wasn't sure though, if any connection to the Beckham's was deemed politically appropriate! :)

LGB-Sid

Registered
19 Sep 2016
UK
Best answers
Country flag
Finally got some bits designed and printed for my Playmobil Church conversion, decided not to buy the playmobil windows in the end as they didn't look very church like so designed my own to fit the existing holes in the wall parts.

The holes along the roof line will have water spout outlets like the tower so the rain in Theory will run off :). Re-designed the castellations around the top, made them a lot smaller than the Playmobil versions and more English looking still bits to add to some of them.

Still a lot , lot more to print design and make and print. Need to think about what I can paint it all with, I wasn't going to paint it, but it will never be taken apart and used as Plkaymobil castle parts and played with by me, so I may as well glue it all together and paint it when its all finished so all the parts match color wise.

That Playmobil door will Go, I,ll Make one with the bolt on the inside :)

Church03.jpg

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
That was close, pressed the wrong reaction button, and took me ages to find the post again! Sorry Sid,if you spotted it, I've put it right I hope

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
20200926_170748.jpg
Finally finished painting my coaches:party::party::party:
Things I have learnt:
1) Buy ready painted coaches
2) See above
3) See point 1 and repeat!

Reactions: 1 user

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
View attachment 273837
Finally finished painting my coaches:party::party::party:
Things I have learnt:
1) Buy ready painted coaches
2) See above
3) See point 1 and repeat!

Very nice!
In that colour scheme, they have a certain Darjeeling look about them...?

Jon.

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Very nice!

Jon.
Thanks for the nice comments Jon! The colour is Royal Sapphire from the Wickes range of emulsions. I actually bought a couple of Matchpots for £1:49. The coaches were primed first, painted then given a few coats of acrylic varnish. How long the paint will last is anyone's guess!

Jasper

Hey, I'm only being creative here.
11 Mar 2017
The Netherlands
Best answers
Country flag
They look beautiful, Paul M.

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Very nice!

Jon.

Milk and sugar?
Or, Lemon?
:wondering:

It is always nice to see a matching rake of stock. :):clap:
Well done, for persevering!

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks for the nice comments Jon! The colour is Royal Sapphire from the Wickes range of emulsions. I actually bought a couple of Matchpots for £1:49. The coaches were primed first, painted then given a few coats of acrylic varnish. How long the paint will last is anyone's guess!
There is nothing to beat the satisfaction of a job you have done yourself well. They look great, you should not be afraid of the work the next time. Colour will last ok providing you do not leave them out in the garden for weeks on end or in a window in full sunlight.

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
There is nothing to beat the satisfaction of a job you have done yourself well. They look great, you should not be afraid of the work the next time. Colour will last ok providing you do not leave them out in the garden for weeks on end or in a window in full sunlight.
They wont get too much use as they are 32mm gauge and are used on visits, I'm a bit more concerned with the paint scratching off.

The Shed

8 Mar 2020
Country
England
Best answers
After searching around the Internet came across a SUSI adaptor board, suitably modified for connecting to a Massoth M decoder, and a more convenient way to plug and unplug sound modules from the SUSI programmer.

SUSI Connectors.png

Always curious to find out if a MP3 player could be operated from a DCC decoder, a work in progress idea.

DCC MP3.png

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
They wont get too much use as they are 32mm gauge and are used on visits, I'm a bit more concerned with the paint scratching off.
So long as you leave your false nails off when picking them up you should have no problems!

The Shed

8 Mar 2020
Country
England
Best answers
One of this weeks projects......

MD LSS-SH12.png

Items sourced from below:

LSS light signal decoder LSS-SH12:

SH Signal:

SH Signal Decoder:

SH Digital Signal:

Light emitting diodes:

Last edited:

casey jones snr

Registered
20 Apr 2010
Charnwood Forest Railway. Rothley. Leics.
Country
England
Best answers
Country flag
During the recent inclement weather I have been using some of my vintage meccano to build a short pier for the Priory Excange locomotive shed:-
6D9838B5-EAFC-4D5B-822C-4AA3C0DCFA0E.jpeg
The water tower is only a temporary feature, I’m in the process of building a smaller tower.