What happened at your workbench today?

Fezwig

Registered
5 Jul 2016
Croft, Warrington
Best answers
Country flag
Just finish numbering my 2 IOM pairs coaches, one as F62, which is being overhauled and the what if pairs brake as F76, the next vacant number, this based on (in my world:p) when the dates of the old coaches where put on a pairs frame and when a E van was withdrawn from traffic so F60 was made in 1923 from B13 & B24, E4 withdrawn at the same date, so F60 becomes B13 & E4, B24 joining E7 in making F76. the same would happen with F61 in 1921, A10 & C12 becoming A10 & E3 and F77 made up of C12 & E2 this would give 4 pairs half brakes, anyway back to the real (ish) world and here's a photo.
DSC_0010.JPG

Reactions: 1 user

The Shed

Citizen of the Republic of the North East.
8 Mar 2020
Darlington, County Durham.
Country
England
Best answers
Just finish numbering my 2 IOM pairs coaches, one as F62, which is being overhauled and the what if pairs brake as F76, the next vacant number, this based on (in my world:p) when the dates of the old coaches where put on a pairs frame and when a E van was withdrawn from traffic so F60 was made in 1923 from B13 & B24, E4 withdrawn at the same date, so F60 becomes B13 & E4, B24 joining E7 in making F76. the same would happen with F61 in 1921, A10 & C12 becoming A10 & E3 and F77 made up of C12 & E2 this would give 4 pairs half brakes, anyway back to the real (ish) world and here's a photo.

Nice job by the way, need to go and have a lay down after reading the above, and I thought DCC was all just numbers!:)
View attachment 272928

Northsider

Modelling the Northern half of the Isle of Man
3 May 2012
Hertfordshire
Best answers
Country flag
I'm one of about eight people on the planet who appreciate the thought and effort that you have put into establishing a workable history/provenance for F76. A really plausible provenance: it no doubt saw out its days on Harry Cubbon's Wing at St John's ;).

Fezwig

Registered
5 Jul 2016
Croft, Warrington
Best answers
Country flag
I'm one of about eight people on the planet who appreciate the thought and effort that you have put into establishing a workable history/provenance for F76. A really plausible provenance: it no doubt saw out its days on Harry Cubbon's Wing at St John's ;).
Or perhaps I need to get out more :nerd:

Northsider

Modelling the Northern half of the Isle of Man
3 May 2012
Hertfordshire
Best answers
Country flag
Or perhaps I need to get out more :nerd:
Ooh no, you don't want to do that. Much better to stay indoors with three volumes of Boyd and a cup of tea :giggle:.

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
Looks great, David, brilliant job!

Jon.

PS: I mean the painted coal bins, hadn't realised so many other posts had gone up after the one I was commenting on!

I'm sure you have your own preferred source of "scale" coal to go in them, but don't forget the "vase filler" stuff from Dunelm that I reviewed on here a few years back - brilliant for this sort of thing.... thinking of that, must pop into my local branch sometime and see if they still sell it!

David1226

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Abingdon, Oxfordshire
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag

Jon.

PS: I mean the painted coal bins, hadn't realised so many other posts had gone up after the one I was commenting on!

I'm sure you have your own preferred source of "scale" coal to go in them, but don't forget the "vase filler" stuff from Dunelm that I reviewed on here a few years back - brilliant for this sort of thing.... thinking of that, must pop into my local branch sometime and see if they still sell it!

Jon

No loose coal for these, they will have other products stored in them. I would refer you to the link below to see the actual coal staithes.
The Claptowte Railway - Coal Staithes - G Scale Central

dig 200802008.JPG

David

maxi-model

UK/US/ROW steam narrow gauge railways 1:1
27 Oct 2009
Bucks/Oxon/Northants area
Best answers
Country flag
Now I have retired I have been finding extra things to occupy my time. There are some signals getting a refurb' and convertion to air powered operation. These 2 plus another 2 bracket signals. 1 of each type were done as a test a couple of years ago, 6 in all. They are all GRS gauge 3 GWR type fitted with SVRR/Clippard acctuators.

Then there is the "old" hobby - 1:43 scale (mostly) hand built model racing cars and slot cars. This little line up are a mix of rebuilds and new builds that got as far as being painted and then nothing more for 15 years (about the time I got started with the garden railway). Just the decals to add. There is a bit of a backlog that I didn't dispose of, to pay for the new hobby, to work through now. Max

20200914_185825.jpg

Reactions: 1 users

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Now I have retired I have been finding extra things to occupy my time. There are some signals getting a refurb' and convertion to air powered operation. These 2 plus another 2 bracket signals. 1 of each type were done as a test a couple of years ago, 6 in all. They are all GRS gauge 3 GWR type fitted with SVRR/Clippard acctuators.

Then there is the "old" hobby - 1:43 scale (mostly) hand built model racing cars and slot cars. This little line up are a mix of rebuilds and new builds that got as far as being painted and then nothing more for 15 years (about the time I got started with the garden railway). Just the decals to add. There is a bit of a backlog that I didn't dispose of, to pay for the new hobby, to work through now. Max

View attachment 273175
I recognise the STP Indy car - last but one from right, but the white one centre stage - Porsche?

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag

Jon.

An update - very sadly, it looks like Dunelm no longer stock the incredibly useful "vase filler" that makes such great G scale coal.... even their website doesn't list it anymore. Thankfully I bought a whole load of tubs of it a few years back, so I should have enough for anything I'm likely to want to do with it.

BTW, your coal staithes look brilliant, David.

Jon.

maxi-model

27 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
I recognise the STP Indy car - last but one from right, but the white one centre stage - Porsche?

From L - R - March 701, Ferrari 312 B3, Honda RA301, Jaguar XJR5, Lotus 56, Paxton turbine, Ferrari 512 BB/LM. Would you like the specific races they are modelled for ? Max

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
From L - R - March 701, Ferrari 312 B3, Honda RA301, Jaguar XJR5, Lotus 56, Paxton turbine, Ferrari 512 BB/LM. Would you like the specific races they are modelled for ? Max

I should have recognised the March, and the F1 Ferrari. If I'd looked a bit closer, I might have managed the Honda.

The Jag XJR5 slipped under my radar as a racing car, porbably while I was either underneath my own car or driving it chasing women - I'll google that one

The Lotus 56 - was that for Indy as well?

The Paxton turbine I recall from an article in a magazine, probably a model car magazine - pretty sure it was STP sponsored :think::think:

The other Ferrari? well .................... it doesn't do it for me :shake::shake: I was smitten with the Ford GT40 (albeit with 3 litre engine) when it featured on the front page of the Ford Times, and have never been weaned off it :D:D

maxi-model

27 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Yep, Lotus 56 was an STP liveried Indy turbine, as was the Paxton - this one will be finished as the Art Pollard driven entry,. Ah, the BB/LM Ferrari, you need to see its livery to get its appeal to some. It was known as the "doves & clouds" livery, run by the French Ferrari importer Charles Pozzi. Here is its bigger (1:14) brother in the collection. It's one hell of a decaling job on the 1:43 version. Should be fun. Max

20200914_205423.jpg

maxi-model

27 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag

Jasper

Hey, I'm only being creative here.
11 Mar 2017
The Netherlands
Best answers
Country flag
All the same, it's lovely to have some beautiful assets of an old hobby to return to.

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Beer, the ugly one's best friend
Allegedly an RAF Tristar pilot was carpeted for announcing on the arrival of a flight from the Falklands approaching Brize Norton, that all you women who were beautiful back in FI have just turned ugly :oops::oops::oops:

David1226

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Abingdon, Oxfordshire
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
Best aircraft announcement that I have ever heard for real was on a package tour flight, I cannot remember if it was to or from Mallorca, a few years ago now. A female member of cabin staff was making the usual in flight announcements when she added 'First Choice Airlines have some of the finest cabin staff in the industry, unfortunately none of them are on this flight.' The cabin descended into uproar.

David