Welcome to Highfield Junction

Gavin Sowry

Garden Railroader and Raconteur
27 Oct 2009
Hutt Valley, NZ
Best answers
Country flag
Only just picked up on this thread. Top marks, and welcome to GSC.

Revok

Registered
19 Jun 2018
West Sussex, UK
Best answers
Country flag
Early morning sun dappling through the trees.... a few passengers awaiting the first train of the day.... and the work crews getting started.

DSCF6235.JPG

Reactions: 2 users

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
:) Crackin' picture! :clap::clap:

Revok

Registered
19 Jun 2018
West Sussex, UK
Best answers
Country flag
I've had a train running most evenings while I potter around in the garden since I extended the track. Probably the most I've used the set since I bought it. Interestingly, because I'm running it more, I'm noticing the layout doesn't actually work quite right for the way I use it. Which is basically a loco trundling around the loop, and every so often as I pass by I take it into a siding and either change the wagons or else park it up and give another loco a run out round the loop. I'm not exactly a power user! :)

So I've changed the routing of the sidings and isolated them all so the loco not in use has a place to go, and usefully time keeps the rolling stock placed so there is a lot less hand of god required.

I like seeing pictures of everyones layout, there are so many great ideas out there, so as usual I will add the latest of mine.

DSCF6266.JPGDSCF6268.JPGDSCF6269.JPGDSCF6271.JPGDSCF6274.JPG

Reactions: 5 users

Revok

Registered
19 Jun 2018
West Sussex, UK
Best answers
Country flag
Its on my (very long) wishlist :)

duncan1_9_8_4

Jack of all trades on the Railway
25 Oct 2009
Pontefract, West Yorkshire
Best answers
Country flag
Looks smart, a really nice railway!

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
I've had a train running most evenings while I potter around in the garden since I extended the track. Probably the most I've used the set since I bought it. Interestingly, because I'm running it more, I'm noticing the layout doesn't actually work quite right for the way I use it. Which is basically a loco trundling around the loop, and every so often as I pass by I take it into a siding and either change the wagons or else park it up and give another loco a run out round the loop. I'm not exactly a power user! :)

So I've changed the routing of the sidings and isolated them all so the loco not in use has a place to go, and usefully time keeps the rolling stock placed so there is a lot less hand of god required.

I like seeing pictures of everyones layout, there are so many great ideas out there, so as usual I will add the latest of mine.

View attachment 243464View attachment 243466View attachment 243467View attachment 243468View attachment 243469
Normal procedure would be to create a passing loop. Where the Track Curves into the Station on the left would apear to be the place to give the longest one possible. As your Track apoears loosly laid on ballast the change should not be too tramatic. Using two points would still leave one for a couple of sidings. one train could then be pointing Clockwose the other Anticlockwise thus giving more interest. In time you could even wire up with EPL to swop Trains and direction with Electric Point Motors, Point Motor mounted switches and Isolating Sections.

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
It grows - knew it would. >:)

Revok

Registered
19 Jun 2018
West Sussex, UK
Best answers
Country flag
Normal procedure would be to create a passing loop. Where the Track Curves into the Station on the left would apear to be the place to give the longest one possible. As your Track apoears loosly laid on ballast the change should not be too tramatic. Using two points would still leave one for a couple of sidings. one train could then be pointing Clockwose the other Anticlockwise thus giving more interest. In time you could even wire up with EPL to swop Trains and direction with Electric Point Motors, Point Motor mounted switches and Isolating Sections.

Thanks for taking the time to make these suggestions. Yes, the entire track is sitting loosely on potting grit ballast so any changes are easily made. Good job too, as I keep making them. I did consider a passing loop something along the lines you mentioned, but the downside for me is the awkwardness of reaching to the back part of the track to push the points over. As it stands all the things I need to touch are along the front of the layout. With that in mind I have been thinking about creating a place to pass along the front straight. Its a bit of a compromise I know, but realistically electric points are way down the line for me (if ever), so for now at least, everything being within easy reach is one of the things I prioritise.

Reactions: 1 user

Sean.

Hmmmm
5 Oct 2017
Boston & Cocagne NB (not enough)
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks for taking the time to make these suggestions. Yes, the entire track is sitting loosely on potting grit ballast so any changes are easily made. Good job too, as I keep making them. I did consider a passing loop something along the lines you mentioned, but the downside for me is the awkwardness of reaching to the back part of the track to push the points over. As it stands all the things I need to touch are along the front of the layout. With that in mind I have been thinking about creating a place to pass along the front straight. Its a bit of a compromise I know, but realistically electric points are way down the line for me (if ever), so for now at least, everything being within easy reach is one of the things I prioritise.

Some people use throttle / choke cables to throw remote points..

1538739613767.jpeg

Reactions: 1 users

Revok

Registered
19 Jun 2018
West Sussex, UK
Best answers
Country flag
Hmmmm… that's a thought.

Revok

Registered
19 Jun 2018
West Sussex, UK
Best answers
Country flag
ignore. edited to blank since I can't find a delete or remove option

Revok

Registered
19 Jun 2018
West Sussex, UK
Best answers
Country flag
Some progress on the layout over the last month or so.

First thing was to wire in a couple of switches for the isolated sidings. For now the panel is a plastic box... I'll make something better once I have finalised just how many isolated sections i want.

Next, now that the evenings are dark, I wanted to add some lights. I had loads of cheap chinese 1.32 scale lamposts left over from a Scalextric project, so using them as a stopgap whilst I ponder over a better solution. All I have done is taken the timer circuit board out of a 6 hour xmas led string decoration... cut the leds off and replaced them with my lamposts. I power it with a 3v psu rather than batteries... all of it housed under the station roof where hopefully it will stay fairly dry.

Lastly, I decided to invest in a couple of Pola buildings to add some visual interest to the line.

Here is the railway as it now stands....

2018-11-05 full layout.JPG

and here is the night time look

2018-11-05 lights.JPG

and the pola warehouse in daylight

2018-11-05 pola warehouse.JPG

mike

Master at annoying..
Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Rossendale
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Fantastic set of photos

Revok

Registered
19 Jun 2018
West Sussex, UK
Best answers
Country flag
Unusual to get snow in this part of the country, so when it swept across the village last night I took a few pics of the layout, because it does make it look very different and quite atmospheric. I did intend to clear the line and run something, but the cat wanted to play, and she of course must be obeyed! By the time she had got bored, scratched me and wandered off I was too cold to go back to the train.

And no, I don't carefully store wagons indoors... they live outside. As does my cheapo 2nd hand Stainz, though it does at least get the cover of an engine shed. I realise its probably bad practise, but I do like the convenience of being able to run a train at any time on a whim, without having to go fetch and carry. I accept the risk..... and I do keep my better stuff in the house.

snowpic1.jpgsnowpic4.jpg

Reactions: 3 users

Revok

Registered
19 Jun 2018
West Sussex, UK
Best answers
Country flag
By next morning the snow had already melted quite a bit, but there was still enough lying to make it well worthwhile to clear the track and have a half hour of playtime before heading off to work.

snowpic3.jpgsnowpic2.jpg

Revok

Registered
19 Jun 2018
West Sussex, UK
Best answers
Country flag
A bit of a change in the weather, its really quite mild here in West Sussex. So for the first time in a while I got all my locos (a small collection of 4) out and gave them a run.
I had no trouble at all, I guess because the track has been kept clean by the constant use of the outdoor Stainz over the winter. Theres hardly an evening goes by that that little workhorse doesn't do at least an hours worth of looping the line. Unfortunately he doesn't fit with the loose American theme of my railway, so is removed from the scene when the others come out to play. I plan to 'Americanise' it sometime soon so it doesn't need to hide. (When I started this railway several people suggested it would be a good idea to have some sort of theme, and I laughed it off, saying it didn't bother me to mix things up. However, as things progressed I have to admit I have changed my mind. While still not totally hung up about historical and geographical accuracy, the Stainz as it stands just doesn't fit with everything else).

Heres a pic, which shows all the locos.

IMGP3614.JPG

The Piko mogul was my first loco, bought with a starter set, and surprisingly its easily the most picky in terms of demanding clean flat track. I'd have thought having more contact points it would be more forgiving.

The modified Stainz was an Ebay puchase from a guy who had started a bash but lost interest. I undid some of his work, added some of my own, and while its not an accurate representation of anything, it doesn't look out of place I dont think.

The little 'Casey' Porter was a Christmas ebay present, bought cheap on a sold as seen basis. It had a few detail bits missing, but to my surprise it runs perfectly. With a bit of tidying up it has turned out to be a nice addition.

I enjoyed seeing everything out, and my appetite is now whetted to get started on this years plans to upgrade the layout! I have a few ideas to improve the look of what's already there, a decent station platform and better lighting for instance. And I have bought a basic shuttle controller, with an eye on creating a simple point to point line through the flower beds.
To think when I started 2 years ago I thought I'd be content with a train circling a basic oval!

Reactions: 1 users

Revok

Registered
19 Jun 2018
West Sussex, UK
Best answers
Country flag
The beautiful weather, coupled with some lovely birthday presents has got me out making some minor alterations to the track, and adding a nice scenic touch to what was a kinda bare area on the layout. Of course, the things I actually planned to do I haven't even started, but plenty of time for that later.

Pictures tell the story much better than words, so here is the way it looks at the moment.

First a long shot from an upstairs window, showing how the track fits in with the garden... and the potential for expansion perhaps. The colourful shed houses my Scalextric track and model workshop.

IMGP3654.JPG

And here are some close ups of the birthday presents, a Piko church with Piko fencing, and a couple of farm type workers. (I already had the pastor and girl). The 'baby tears' are spreading nicely and give a decent grassy effect. I know from experience they need to be kept in order as they are likely to go places you may not want them too, but hopefully if I keep on top of them it will produce an attractive base for the rest of the planting.

DSCF6900.JPGDSCF6903.JPGDSCF6905.JPGDSCF6906.JPGDSCF6907.JPGDSCF6912.JPG