Very old Bachmann Columbia sound upgrade

Old Tom

Registered
10 Apr 2010
West Sussex
tomlancaster.weebly.com
Best answers
First things first.....

I hope the cheque I sent today to 'delivery of oblivion' (Ade to his mates) get's to him safely because I've already taken his loco apart!

b5e566cd528140d8847b5f4f6dbb4b66.jpg

The story so far....

The loco arrived today in perfect condition after me buying it off Ade on Private Sales. He'd told me that the sound was pretty hopeless on this particular example.... well, now that I've had a look on the web, I think it was pretty hopeless on all the early Columbia locos (and didn't get much better before they stopped making them!).

So, into the spares box where I found my old and trusty 'OO Chuffer' unit I'd used on several locos (it sounds rather good because you can alter the 'beat' to suit the loco) and I'm in the process of fitting it.

Before anyone asks...... I've taken a 'before' movie and will take an 'after' one - if it all works..... :banghead: and show them to you.

If it doesn't work, then forget I ever made this post! :crying:

24 Oct 2009
Rugby Warwickshire
Best answers
Country flag
Hey Hey Tom....Looking forward to hearing a successful outcome.Pleased you like the loco.I have another one,(Black Pennsy )but the size of the Modern Big Haulers,but again with the very old sound unit.Will have to see about getting a modern one fitted.

Cheers

Ade

Old Tom

Registered
10 Apr 2010
West Sussex
tomlancaster.weebly.com
Best answers
delivery of oblivion said:
Hey Hey Tom....Looking forward to hearing a successful outcome.Pleased you like the loco.I have another one,(Black Pennsy )but the size of the Modern Big Haulers,but again with the very old sound unit.Will have to see about getting a modern one fitted.

Cheers

Ade
If the sound unit I fitted lasts the course Ade, I'll tell you where I got it from. They cost about £20.00 and are nearly the same dimensions as the Bachy PCBs. It's an easy replacement if you can find a place to solder the pickups.
Have a good holiday!

Eaglecliff

Registered
19 Jul 2010
Derby, England
Best answers
Country flag
Never mind the sound - where can I get a new set of gears??? (See my post in the Loco section)
Eaglecliff