FatherMcD

Registered
13 Mar 2014
Idaho
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
"I have got to get me one of these!", Will Smith, after starting up alien ship in Independence Day, 1996. This was my response on seeing the attached illustration. Who could resist? A vertical boiler, cab-forward Forney! I wouldn't exactly call it cute, but it has character. I know that Forneys were designed to be cab-forward, but most don't look like it. This one does! It came from a book D4 obtained in an online estate auction, but there was no other information.

After Considering chopping up my LGB Forney and deciding that that would leave too many spare parts and be too expensive (cringe), I looked at the various LGB motor blocks. The LGB Mikado driver set would provide drivers of about the right diameter and spoked LGB wagon wheels would fit the truck. Costs began to add up as I would have to purchase all these! Then I remembered the Bachmann Annie chassis I had stock piled. Cut down, the Annie could provide the motor block. But the outer driver axle is too large for the center blind driver slot. After more research, I discovered that on early Forneys, the inside driver was blind! Eureka!

So far, I have a cut down Annie chassis with the drive rotated to a near vertical orientation. The valve gear will be cut down and mounted on the rear of the frame, the Annie pilot will remount on the front, part of the frame from a Bachmann Annie tender will be the base for the coal bunker and a Bachmann L'il Big Hauler 0-4-0 Chr*stm*s tender will hold the coal load and water. I used aluminum tube and ells to form a frame to connect it all together.

Still trying to visualize how the cab and tender connect. It appears that the tank butts up against the front of the cab, but part of the cab is inside of the tank? Any ideas would be apppreciated.

The plan:
1st Forney cropped.jpg
The first parts:
IMG_20191111_210116360.jpgIMG_20191111_210142331.jpgIMG_20191111_210210778.jpg

Last edited:

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Will Smith, after starting up alien ship in Independence Day, 1996. This was my response on seeing the attached illustration. Who could resist? A vertical boiler, cab-forward Forney! I wouldn't exactly call it cute, but it has character. It came from a book D4 obtained in an online estate auction, but there was no other information.

After Considering chopping up my LGB Forney and deciding that that would leave too many spare parts and be too expensive (cringe), I looked at the various LGB motor blocks. The LGB Mikado driver set would provide drivers of about the right diameter and spoked LGB wagon wheels would fit the truck. Costs began to add up as I would have to purchase all these! Then I remembered the Bachmann Annie chassis I had stock piled. Cut down, the Annie could provide the motor block. But the outer driver axle is too large for the center blind driver slot. After more research, I discovered that on early Forneys, the inside driver was blind! Eureka!

So far, I have a cut down Annie chassis with the drive rotated to a near vertical orientation. The valve gear will be cut down and mounted on the rear of the frame, the Annie pilot will remount on the front, part of the frame from a Bachmann Annie will be the base for the tank and a Bachmann L'il Big Hauler 0-4-0 Chr*stm*s tender will hold the coal load and water. I used aluminum tube and ells to form a frame to connect it all together.

Still trying to visualize how the cab and tender connect. It appears that the tank butts up against the front of the cab, but part of the cab is inside of the tank? Any ideas would be apppreciated.

The plan:
View attachment 259263
The first parts:
View attachment 259260View attachment 259261View attachment 259262
Interesting project in view of my comments elsewhere I am looking forward to seeing this baby in action. Not too sure about the Blind Drivers though, have a horrible feeling that this may come back to haunt you on effectively what is a 4-4-0. Hope I am wrong with that.

FatherMcD

Registered
13 Mar 2014
Idaho
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
The blind drivers could be a problem. After all, the prototype Forneys did switch to all flanged drivers in later years. I'm hoping that Bachmann allowed enough clearance that it will work on reasonably flat track. Additionally, the drive came with the final gear cracked on the axle. Fairly common problem with these drives, even new from the factory. I checked with the new NWSL and they don't have a replacement gear and consider the stock drive not worth repairing. They may come out with a replacement drive containing a new frame and gearing and possibly a new motor. For now, I'm going to try to pin the gear to the axle and see how long that will function. I'm also building the chassis so that the motor block can be easily replaced. I may have to go the "Mason Bogie" route like LGB. Thanks for your input.