USAT Motor block

Dtsteam

G Scale, Travel, Steam Boats, Mechanical Music
24 Oct 2009
Preston
Best answers
Country flag
A little help please - I want to do a quick chipping of a USAT 22 switcher tonight, but I don't know the pin outs from the motor block. There are 4 wires - 2 black outer & 2 red inner - does anyone know which is which ?

Thanks

beavercreek

Travel, Art, Theatre, Music, Photography, Trains
24 Oct 2009
Colchester, United Kingdom
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
Hi
Take the wires off the motor block (making a note of which comes from which) put the block on the rails, apply power and use a multimeter and touch in turn, to the two pairs of red/blck wire points When the meter shows a voltage, that will show the two pickup wires. The other pins will be the return to the block from the circuit board. If my memory serves me correctly the two outer are the pick-up ones but I could be wrong!

g-bits

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
Best answers
beavercreek said:
Hi
.....If my memory serves me correctly the two outer are the pick-up ones but I could be wrong!

Nearly But not quite right. There are four terminals on the end of the block, in two groups of two. The outermost terminals (ie, 1 and 4 as you count across) are the motor, and the other pair (2 and 3) are the track pickups, and are wired to the wheels/shoes they're closest to.

Jonathan
RDE

Dtsteam

G Scale, Travel, Steam Boats, Mechanical Music
24 Oct 2009
Preston
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks guys - I appreciate your help.

beavercreek

Travel, Art, Theatre, Music, Photography, Trains
24 Oct 2009