US Style Grade Crosing Lights?

James Day

Guano Corner Rly - Runs weekly - Guano permitting
6 May 2012
Warwickshire
Best answers
Country flag
Does anyone know a source of working G Scale Grade Crossing Lights?

I have some BUSCH ones for HO which look great and work well. I know that Life-Like once did some battery operated ones in G Scale, but Walthers seem to have turned thier back on the old Life-Like brand now, and most of it has been discontinued.

I need enough for two level crosings. They do not have to be super neat, scale or even weatherproof. I just want them to look 'good' to me. I rather liked the Life-Like ones to be honest!

Any suggestions, links or sources most welcome.

Although I am in the UK, I am not frightened by buying stuff from mainland Europe or USA as long as they are prepared to take my business!

James

James Day

6 May 2012
Warwickshire
Best answers
Country flag

James Day

6 May 2012
Warwickshire
Best answers
Country flag

Thanks for the postings.

Yes I have seen these, they look very nice. The HO ones I have and use with my Tyco US-1 Trucking and Life-Like Trains are Busch too. I prefer the US type though, as they are more 'exciting' if that is the right word?

I am going to research a pair of the US LCS type (with a bell) and then contact Robbie. Depending on how I get on with thoe, I may be back for more. The Wig Wag type look appealing too......

I appreciate the effort of everyone.

Thank you all.

James

kim

retired at last
27 Apr 2015
Cleveleys
Best answers
Country flag
I use the Lemax ones James, cheap to buy and last a couple of years outside before the plastic gets brittle.

James Day

6 May 2012
Warwickshire
Best answers
Country flag
I use the Lemax ones James, cheap to buy and last a couple of years outside before the plastic gets brittle.

I can see why you do! They look pretty good, a little like the Life-Like ones. Sadly do not seem to be readily available in the UK and I am not sure they are still in current production. To buy the only $10 set currently on ebay would cost twice much to send here!

I think on balance I will go for the reassuringly expensive option, complete with Infra red sensors etc and have some fun installing and trying it all out. Never tried Infra red before, as I have been on a strict diet of EPL and reeds!

James

James Day

6 May 2012
Warwickshire
Best answers
Country flag
q1WAIK

Sorry, Just relaised this has been posted

Cat was sitting on the lap top!

She is clearly interested in G Scale:

IMG_1241 (1).JPG

Last edited:

a98087

Registered
8 Nov 2009
Wiltshire
Best answers
Country flag

James Day

6 May 2012
Warwickshire
Best answers
Country flag
I know your asked for a working version, but there is the Playmobil version, that could be used as the basis for a scratch build.

It's not the most details, but might provide a sound starting point

http://www.playmobil.co.uk/railroad-crossing/6341.html

Dan

Thanks Dan,

That is very good as you say and has bags of potential. It is the same european design as the BUSCH ones mentioned earlier. I am not scale modeller and this is for what I might describe as a 'fun' project, but the visuals and the sound of US style crossing does it for me.

lcs.jpg

I appreciate that the SBS types are relatively pricely, but by the time I have got some electrics together to make it flash and added the EPL relays and contacts to make the Playmobil one work, I might just as well spend the extra and get the one I really want.

I am also fascinated by the idea of a bell. We rigged up a Faller Church bell to operate on the crossings when we exhibited the Tyco Trucking and Life-Like Trains a couple of years ago, but the sound was not really good enough!

James

Neil Robinson

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N W Leicestershire
Best answers
Country flag
I think on balance I will go for the reassuringly expensive option, complete with Infra red sensors etc and have some fun installing and trying it all out. Never tried Infra red before, as I have been on a strict diet of EPL and reeds!

James

I have heard, but have no experience, that infra red sensors may be unreliable outdoors.
I respectfully suggest you research this before making any expensive commitment.

James Day

6 May 2012
Warwickshire
Best answers
Country flag
I have heard, but have no experience, that infra red sensors may be unreliable outdoors.
I respectfully suggest you research this before making any expensive commitment.

Thanks Neil,

Sound advice! You are quite right too: The manufacturers instructions are clear on all the special measures that need to be taken to avoid any dampness.

This project is strictly indoors only, not just for the sensors and the gubbins in the crossing lights but for other key ingredients too. As I said it is a bit of fun. When I have everything together I will place another posting explaining the whole thing.

James

kim

retired at last
27 Apr 2015
Cleveleys
Best answers
Country flag
I can see why you do! They look pretty good, a little like the Life-Like ones. Sadly do not seem to be readily available in the UK and I am not sure they are still in current production. To buy the only $10 set currently on ebay would cost twice much to send here!

James
www.christmasatdawsons.co.uk under accessories £4.87 at bottom of page.

kim

retired at last
27 Apr 2015
Cleveleys
Best answers
Country flag
going to order a couple of sets myself James, trouble is I always end up with a bagfull of stuff after looking through what's on offer

James Day

6 May 2012
Warwickshire
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks Kim,

Just ordered three pairs and got a Discount code that saved me more: TREAT10

I have to say the Forum is brilliant for finding people who know things.

Thanks again!

James

idlemarvel

Neither idle nor a marvel
13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
What scale is the Lemax stuff approximately? Those crossing signals are 4 inches high which is about 7ft @ 1:22.5. Is that about right for the prototype? The UK letter boxes are about 5ft 6in at same scale which is about right. It all looks cheap and cheerful and fine or indoor layouts.

kim

retired at last
27 Apr 2015
Cleveleys
Best answers
Country flag
Hard to scale Lemax stuff really, need to check their measurements and remember a lot of their figures are on thick bases. I have found their fir trees to be good value and ok in size, their electrical accessories as per crossing lights, traffic lights, billboards, fires are good but some figures are 1:24 ish and some are 1:20.3 ish withsome in the middle! All great value though.