G Scale Trains, HO Trains, 1:1 Sugar Cane trains
14 Jun 2011
Bundaberg Queensland, Australia
Country
Australia
ringbalin-light-railway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
I am asking for some advice on which users prefer for the edge of my trestle bridge.
Attached are 2 pictures showing the trestle 1 with an edge and 1 without an edge.
I am really looking for opinions to help make a decision so feel free to post an opinion.
The edge is nothing more that aesthetics so asking which one is preferred keeping in mind that this is a narrow gauge line.

P1050551.JPG

P1050550.JPG

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
I am asking for some advice on which users prefer for the edge of my trestle bridge.
Attached are 2 pictures showing the trestle 1 with an edge and 1 without an edge.
I am really looking for opinions to help make a decision so feel free to post an opinion.
The edge is nothing more that aesthetics so asking which one is preferred keeping in mind that this is a narrow gauge line.

View attachment 263278

View attachment 263277
Definitely needs the edge, if you look at pics of real ones there are generally walkways to the side of the Trestles. In place to allow servicing and for Track Gangers to check out the joints and general well being of the Trestle and Railway.

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Yes an edge. You might also consider something to stop stock from falling off.

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
You need to watch a bit of Clint Eastwood (I think it was 'The Outlaw Josie Wales') - you gotta have an edge :nod::nod::nod:

Riograndad

Model Railroading, boats and oil painting,
6 Jul 2013
Northampton UK
Best answers
Country flag
Yep edge is better.

GAP

14 Jun 2011
Country
Australia
Best answers
Country flag
Yes an edge. You might also consider something to stop stock from falling off.

I am thinking about some sort of railing at the back so a walkway would not look out of place there.
I am starting to like the edge look as well.
I also have had a suggestion of putting check rails on the bridge to hopefully stop my rolling stock from swan diving to the ground.
I did spend a large amount of time making sure the rails are level across the bent tops to hopefully prevent toppling due to uneven track, I do not want my pride and joy, a Bachmann 3 truck Shay with hand built logging cars, swan diving into the dirt below.

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
If you want an 'edge, hawthorn is good

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
If you want an 'edge, hawthorn is good

Shouldn't that be:
"If you want an 'edge, 'awthorn is good."? :p;)

I would consider (though I do not have to do it!) crosspieces under the deck, with a walkway (and fence) to one side, and a 'lighter construction to the front??
Would be more worried about light cars, being blown off by a gust, than the loco.. But if the cars go, I suppose there is a pretty good chance the loco would at least topple? :(

Andrew Foster

Registered
2 Jul 2010
Cambridge, Ontario
gnomengineers.com
Best answers
Country flag
A lot of North American trestles look terrifying to me, with no edge at all. I like the kind with cross timbers much longer than normal sleepers, with a walkway and handrail, though they are a lot of extra work. The attached picture shows part of one such attempt. TR16JO-6.jpg

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
The old western trestles had a fairly small guard timber bolted to the ends of the ties (sleepers).trestle-diagram.gif

GAP

14 Jun 2011
Country
Australia
Best answers
Country flag
The trestle is finished and has been tested numerous times, the track across it is pretty close to perfect.
I was so paranoid about trains dropping off that the rail at every attachment point was checked using a spirit level, a crosswise and lengthwise both before and after securing, any imperfection was corrected before the next one was done.
I added a walkway and a safety rail on the side furthest from the front where there is a huge drop to the ground, closer to the front there is scenery that will catch a falling train but it is still a drop.
As far as gusts of wind blowing off trains, the trestle is in a corner bounded by a couple 2 metre fences that has vegetation growing up behind it forming a wind break of sorts, at least at the side furthest from the front (where the walkway is in a catching position).
Pictures, a description of the build of the trestle and completion of stage 1 of the layout can be found on my Blog

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
The attached picture shows part of one such attempt.

That is a thing of beauty, and look's to have been a labour of love!

Thank you for posting. :)

beavercreek

Travel, Art, Theatre, Music, Photography, Trains
24 Oct 2009
Colchester, United Kingdom
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
When I did my trestle bridge I made a track bed to go on top and to be wider than the track. It was pretty simple but a bit fiddly, that was all.
Mine was on a curve, but one for a straight section would be even easier to knock up...it does end up looking pretty prototypical as well.
I used 5mm hardwood strip dip-soaked in 5 star Cuprinol, Titebond glue and copper tacks into predrilled holes.

1586767410498.png

1586767439421.png

143851_1f539e8d0c81dfcd78238feb483d38c8.jpg
1586767468740.png

GAP

14 Jun 2011
Country
Australia
Best answers
Country flag
That is a thing of beauty, and look's to have been a labour of love!

Thank you for posting. :)

It was built to be a focal point of the railway hence the amount of time I spent on building it.
I built in the "prototypical" way, whatever that is, (my railway is the only one of its type therefore it is a prototype is it not?) in that I made it up at the site it was being installed in with engineering changes being made to fit.