Track making/making tracks: the good, the bad and the ugly, advice and thoughts wanted, explanation is giving(incl mistakes)

ge_rik

British narrow gauge (esp. Southwold and W&LLR)
24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
www.riksrailway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
Vilif: i never heard that term or should i say slang? before, could you explane please.

I think it is a joke - jokes don't often translate well and don't really work if they need to be explained. The previous post talked about being "vilified" (= to insult someone) ......

Rik

ge_rik

24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
Best answers
Country flag
Anyway. I do hope you keep telling us where you are up to with your major project - and if you have persuaded your wife that goats are far less important than 1936 Amsterdam Centraal

Rik

Prachtig!!

:cool:

Graag gedaan

Last edited:

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Wait...Flemish you dont referring to my Belgium neighbours? right?
Vlaams that is basically Dutch or you mean mixed French/Vlaams from Walonie?
Yes, I was referring to Belgium. I've had a few nice weekends in Brussels, and have always been told to be careful to use French (in the Walloon part) or Flemish in the Dutch side. I also thought that, although very similar, Dutch and Flemish were different.
Anyway before I really show my linguistic ignorance back to modelling?

justme igor

Registered
17 Apr 2020
Netherlands Westwoud
Country
Netherlands
Best answers
Country flag
Anyway. I do hope you keep telling us where you are up to with your major project
Yes i will, feedback is also very important, without this i would not come this far, sometimes is those very small things you dont see because you are to busy with it, and some one else will say hee what about this or that...

1936 Amsterdam Centraal
Of course you understand that this is going to be a project that will take decades to complete and i would like to have some trains running in the garden before i start with that station(before i start...yeah right)
And first i need to finish rebuilding my house(monumental thingy and some well fair "p*** in the a**" people....) so it can survive a next 140 years and being energy positive.
Good news: roof is almost done, bricklayer will be here in march...outside done....

I will not be surprised when we would meet in real life that you actually speak a fair bit of dutch.

justme igor

Registered
17 Apr 2020
Netherlands Westwoud
Country
Netherlands
Best answers
Country flag

ge_rik

24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
Best answers
Country flag
I will not be surprised when we would meet in real life that you actually speak a fair bit of dutch.
Only if I can have Google Translate with me ...... :D

Rik

phils2um

Phil S
11 Sep 2015
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
So probably back to the 2.2mm thick saw blade, so i can "mis and mis match" the sleepers for a more natural look....(back then)
Perhaps you could make jigs to slot the ties at say two or three slightly different variations in addition to perpendicular. That way you can keep the tighter gauge tolerance the narrower blade gives but still get the "mismatched" look you are seeking. Just dump all the sleepers in a bucket and pull them out randomly.

justme igor

Registered
17 Apr 2020
Netherlands Westwoud
Country
Netherlands
Best answers
Country flag
Perhaps you could make jigs to slot the ties at say two or three slightly different variations in addition to perpendicular. That way you can keep the tighter gauge tolerance the narrower blade gives but still get the "mismatched" look you are seeking. Just dump all the sleepers in a bucket and pull them out randomly.
Perfect solution.
1 extra jig will be sufficient enough, or adapt my existing jig.
If i put the centre line just 1 mm off
Thanks

justme igor

Registered
17 Apr 2020
Netherlands Westwoud
Country
Netherlands
Best answers
Country flag
How about varying the angle a bit too?
Dont be stupid you will lose your 45mm gauge too.
It is a 2mm thick alu strip in a 2mm thick saw blade, changing the angle would mean nicks and bends in your strip, thus n strait track.
Or go with a wider saw blade(2.2mm for example) and you will lose the angle width your are cutting with.

With best regards Igor

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
I think the suggestion was to have both the slots in a sleeper at the same angle?
That way you maintain gauge, but some sleepers are slightly 'off' from perpendicular to the track (rail)..

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
Jeeze Igor, it's time for YOU not to be "deleted"... clearly both slots would have to be the same angle, and if you put the ties in a jig to cut the slots, they HAVE to be the same angle.

Trying to give you a suggestion to make the track even more realistic

How you can call someone stupid and then give best regards?

Take the chip off your shoulder. You ask for opinions, and then shoot yourself in the foot.

Last edited:

justme igor

Registered
17 Apr 2020
Netherlands Westwoud
Country
Netherlands
Best answers
Country flag
eeze Igor, it's time for YOU not to be "deleted"... clearly both slots would have to be the same angle, and if you put the ties in a jig to cut the slots, they HAVE to be the same angle.

Trying to give you a suggestion to make the track even more realistic

How you can call someone stupid and then give best regards?

Take the chip off your shoulder. You ask for opinions, and then shoot yourself in the foot.
I meant it positive...what do you need a smiley....?
With stupid i mean YOU are to intelligent to ask those kind of stupid questions....You know better, now stop playing games, i meant it positive

But i think you understand because you are more intelligent than this....

With best regards it is also is positive, a fresh start? maybe? No more mud fights?...Or are we going to go over it all again? stop triggering and think positive, i beg you...please do it, think positive.

With best regards Igor

Last edited:

justme igor

Registered
17 Apr 2020
Netherlands Westwoud
Country
Netherlands
Best answers
Country flag
That way you maintain gauge, but some sleepers are slightly 'off' from perpendicular to the track (rail)..
If you would chance the angle in your sleepers and you will not change your saw blade you will get nicks and bend in your track, unless you will use a thicker saw blade, 2,2mm instead of 2,0mm thick sawblade
I did a experiment with that, BIG failure(2.0mm saw blade)
The sleepers look wonderful, realy like before 1930 tracks....but the track it self...if there was a earthquake...the gauge was still there between the tracks, but the tracks where not strait anymore.

I will post some pictures of the experiment i did close up, gauge (somewhere in between) is there but it looks like...something with a S and ends with a t.
Now be prepared i am not a camera hero with digital photograph...give me a practica tl5 and a dark room and i can do magic.(my old cam, old fashion).
But i will do my best.

With best regards Igor

Last edited:
8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
Change the angle of the jig that is holding the ties for cutting, not the saw blade.... I did try to ask about the jig before and we again got in a battle of semantics.

I was trying to understand your jig, so without seeing or understanding it, perhaps it is not what I call a jig at all, then perhaps my suggestion is unworkable.

Please stop taking ANY question as an affront.

Here is a very famous and old picture of a tie jig.... If you have a radial arm saw, this could slide underneath and that would be easy in my opinion.

tie-jig.jpg

To avoid confusion, here is what I call a raidial arm saw:
Radial-arm-saw-5913214c3df78c928326449f.jpg

Of course you would turn the head 90 degrees, and the tie jig would have some ties angled.... seems simple to me.

justme igor

Registered
17 Apr 2020
Netherlands Westwoud
Country
Netherlands
Best answers
Country flag
And the saga continues....
Turnouts: for my Amsterdam central station (1932)i need a lot.
So why not start a experiment on this
20211010_133655.jpg
print the things

20211010_171309.jpg
glue together

20211010_172841.jpg
glue it on wood

20211010_180339.jpg
mark cutting line

20211010_171301.jpg

next step

justme igor

Registered
17 Apr 2020
Netherlands Westwoud
Country
Netherlands
Best answers
Country flag
Sorry forgot the most important thing
20211011_141931.jpg
Sorry forgot the most important thing

20211011_105856.jpg
20211011_105459.jpg
20211011_105522.jpg20211010_183943.jpg
Those where trail runs....for a turn out on a 5meter radii

justme igor

Registered
17 Apr 2020
Netherlands Westwoud
Country
Netherlands
Best answers
Country flag
20211220_180313.jpg

Yes i am a smoker, sorry.
Regarding turnouts i think you get my drift

20211220_180621.jpg

This setup COULD allow me any number of turnouts, crossovers and what ever.
Just change the corner i place my curved piece on in(4 in a squire/rectangular)..... or I alter the curved piece(bigger or smaller radii), ect...
But remember this is still experimental!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!I am not done jet!!!!!!!!! not even by long shot!!!!!!!!!
Soon i will make a topic on "success with track making" that will only cover the success formula, yes for normal strait track and normal curves, just follow "my recipe" with cheap tools.
For under 1.50 euro 1 meter of track with alu strips!
Thanks with the help of the forum members here that get me started!

I hope this was amusing.

With best regards Igor K

Attachments

• 20211220_180641.jpg
    20211220_180641.jpg
    369.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited: