Track condition and Reverse loops

shropshire lad

Registered
25 Jan 2010
Sunny Shropshire
Best answers
Both units will switch when a short circuit is detected so it's possible to have two trains triggering two short circuits at the same time making them effectively inoperative as they switched by one train then switch back by the other. I overcame this by using Massoth units with sensor tracks

whatlep

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
shropshire lad said:
Both units will switch when a short circuit is detected so it's possible to have two trains triggering two short circuits at the same time making them effectively inoperative as they switched by one train then switch back by the other. I overcame this by using Massoth units with sensor tracks

Yep - I found the same when I installed two reverse loops. Buying a second LGB 55080 is effectively wasted money as every one that you have will operate simultaneously if any unit is triggered. The Massoth reversing loop unit acts in the same way on its default settings, but if set up to be used with sensor tracks (supplied in the box) or reed switches, each unit operates independently.

muns

Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Southampton, U.K.
www.gardenrailoutlet.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
There should not be a problem of 2 55080s normally. The problem arises when trains enter/exit both reversing loops at the same time.

What do you mean by the "Track contact leads"?

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
I have just the one LGB 55080 which operates 2 reversing chords.

However, I never run 2 trains together into either chord, the rule being only one train allowed on any reverse loop at a time....

muns

Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Southampton, U.K.
Best answers
Country flag
Roly,

When you experienced the above, you mentioned that the Navi went haywire. Maybe the issue you saw was a result of the Navi having a hissy fit and nothing related to the reverse loop modules.

I suggest you send an email to hotline@massoth.de and see what they have to say about it. Beware they are having a national holiday next week (thurs./fri i think) and may not answer over that period.

muns

Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Southampton, U.K.
Best answers
Country flag
I doubt it, my 1200z runs at 12A/24v and had no probs with the 2 55080's installed but none of my locos pull more than 3A.

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
I don't think that having trains IN more than one loop is the problem - the trouble occurs when more than one train ENTERS a loop at the same moment, ie: crosses the track break and triggers the reversing module.

Jon.

Neil Robinson

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N W Leicestershire
Best answers
Country flag
55.5 said:
Since my last posting I have had 2 hiccups, once when 2 locos went over the 2 11052 at the same time and once when the first car of a metal wheeled train passed over one.
That said the metal wheels are usually not a problem. (snip)
One tip I read either on here or its predecessor G Scale Mad was that the metal wheel problem could be overcome by making two isolating breaks in each rail a short distance (say 5 to 10mm) apart.

whatlep

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
55.5 said:
Since my last posting I have had 2 hiccups, once when 2 locos went over the 2 11052 at the same time and once when the first car of a metal wheeled train passed over one.
That said the metal wheels are usually not a problem.
I also dont understand this myth of only one train in a loop.
My actual reverse loop is quite large and I have had 2 five car LCE's both with motors and metal wheels in it at the same time without a problem.
Like everone else on the forum, my biggest problem at the moment is the weather!!
You can have as many trains in the loop at one time as it has space for. What you can't do is have a train entering a loop at the same time as another is leaving it. That causes a dead short which neither an LGB 55080 or the Massoth unit can cope with. A metal wheel will act very nicely as a means of shorting the insulating joint in such a situation, though the momentum of the train may carry the wheel past the insulating joint and allow the 55080 etc to recover from the dead short.

If you use LGB 55080s or the Massoth unit in 55080 mode (without detectors), then the above also applies to trains using different reversing loops. If using the Massoth unit in its proper mode with detection, you can have trains using different loops simultaneously without interacting with each other.