Torpedo Roof Vents

LGB-Sid

Registered
19 Sep 2016
UK
Best answers
Country flag
Does anybody have any dimensions for torpedo carriage roof vents ? Draw one up for printing from a single bad photo but don't have a clue how big they are :)

vent.jpg

3 minutes of fame

3d printing, electronics and trams
14 Dec 2020
Lincolnshire
www.mgnr.uk
Best answers
Country flag
Tip to tip should be about 300 - 320mm in full size.

LGB-Sid

Registered
19 Sep 2016
UK
Best answers
Country flag
Tip to tip should be about 300 - 320mm in full size.
Thanks I made them 12mm Long so not far out, they just look big on screen sat on the coach roof, but I have learnt that things often look smaller in real life :)

3 minutes of fame

14 Dec 2020
Lincolnshire
www.mgnr.uk
Best answers
Country flag
I could only find a few photo references and worked out the distance based upon a full size unit sitting on top of a 600mm paving slab!

I wonder of your design is a bit "fat" and should be longer and slimmer to give a better look? Maybe increase the length of the cones?

1624019538691.png

zman50

Registered
22 Feb 2019
Wisconsin
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
I could only find a few photo references and worked out the distance based upon a full size unit sitting on top of a 600mm paving slab!

I wonder of your design is a bit "fat" and should be longer and slimmer to give a better look? Maybe increase the length of the cones?

View attachment 286506
Looks like a very heavy object. What is the purpose of this thing?

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
Simple, shoots torpedoes from something cleverly disguised as a roof vent :giggle:

A roof vent that looks like a torpedo... looks as the venturi effect causes motion in the air to "power" the vent, which would bolt to the roof, sucking air out of a car, looks like it works equally well in both directions...

Now I will look it up after sticking my neck out:

Apparently used on coaches: (from wikipedia)

Coaches built by the LMS​

The design and building of LMS coaches followed a very standardised pattern. Very many types of coaches were built to suit the various services and needs but, in general, the progression of design features was a logical one. Three quite distinct periods of design can be recognised,[2] the last of which continued until after nationalisation of the railways in Britain.

Period I (1923–1928/9)​

The general styling of LMS Period I coaches followed much the same ideas as were prevalent elsewhere in Britain. They were wooden framed and panelled, had a fully beaded body with a semi-elliptical roof, doors to all compartments of side-corridor coaches, and were mounted on a steel underframe derived from the final Midland Railway design. Window ventilation was mainly by droplight. Roof ventilators were generally of the torpedo type. The coaches were fitted with non-automatic screw couplers and gangwayed stock made use of scissors-type British Standard pattern corridor connection (as also used on the Great Western Railway).

Most coaches ran on two four-wheel bogies which were of a 9 ft 0 in wheelbase single bolster design which hardly changed for the whole of the company's life. Some special vehicles ran on twelve wheel chassis and the six-wheel bogie on these vehicles was of 12 ft 6 in wheel-base, based on the London and North Western Railway design. All coaches except kitchen cars were electrically lit and normally fitted with vacuum brake as standard.

But it looks like they don't align the way I thought:
post-4085-038820800%201288952490_thumb.jpg

post-4085-091600700%201288951389.jpg

so I wonder if someone can explain, perhaps they turn?

Ahh, some more information:

The torpedo roof vent reigned supreme for many years with only the GWR adopting the shell vent. The LMS adopted it in 1935 but only for a few years. Then they reverted to a vent that was virtually the Wolverton LNWR hemispherical roof vent of circa 1917. BR adopted it with minor mods for Mk.I stock.

Inside the coach the vents could be 'shut off' by a lever that closed the ventilation slots, although these varied from company to company. I wonder if anyone bothered. Ventilation was important in earlier times when smoking was 'normal'.

Reactions: 1 user

LGB-Sid

Registered
19 Sep 2016
UK
Best answers
Country flag
Jury is still out :) it might be take two tomorrow after a bit of tweaking

torpedo.jpg

My carriage is very loosely based on a Southern Carriage :)

1624194699781.png

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag

3 minutes of fame

14 Dec 2020
Lincolnshire
www.mgnr.uk
Best answers
Country flag
Very good! size looks OK for that size of coach. You could always rub down the bottom a bit so they sink into the roof a little.

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
The Southern ones, look to be part of an eclipse, rather than a whole circle?
:nerd:

PhilP

trammayo

Interested in vintage commercial vehicle, trams, t
24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
The Southern ones, look to be part of an eclipse, rather than a whole circle?
:nerd:

PhilP
Is that a partial eclipse?