To crimp or solder

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Be careful, I only use the insulated ones in shown above, if you're using the non insulated ones you'll need the right crimped, although it may be cheaper to buy insulated crimps now, and cut the plastic off after you've crimped them

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
I'm not familiar with what is available over there, but here we have connectors with the same type of "crimp area".

The business end can be open, closed (ring), or a male or female "spade" (in 3 different sizes), bullet, and splice are the ones I can think of off the top of my head (and I have here)

In the use, there are usually 3 basic sizes for wire gauge, color coded to red, blue, yellow (small to large wire gauge)
61aeKoHL7EL._SL1000_.jpg

The crimp I use basically punctures the center (not on the split side) and compresses it.

The cheap crimpers just smash these into an oval, very poor, the wires will slip out.

There is a specific tool with a "finger" that adds pressure to the crimp, but more importantly "locks" wires from pulling out.... see the "indent here"
20201120_092103.jpg
Yep, that crimp tool will overcome the issues where the cable size does not precisely match the wire gauge.

I've successfully crimped wires (for applications other than garden railways) without that extra indent - but it does rely on the wire gauge being a close fit inside the chosen colour of crimp connector.

The indent make is possible to use a slightly oversize crimp connector.

And yes, we have the same options of crimp connectors, but for the fact, certainly in the red size, I now have three different sizes of spade - male / female - connectors.

2mm, 4mm and 6mm I think

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
Last edited:

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
So the crimper and connections are a little different, JST (Japanese Solderless Technology), the link below is to just one of the many out there:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Crimping-Ratchet-Connectors-0-1-1-0mm²-Connector/dp/B07VC383KW/ref=sr_1_7?adgrpid=52516957599&dchild=1&gclid=Cj0KCQiAkuP9BRCkARIsAKGLE8VZTYeOFEV5rMiKx5mgH6j-qPoCNvydWa955XFAUzBKy2E-WAS0RNsaAhSuEALw_wcB&hvadid=259032864657&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=1006554&hvnetw=g&hvqmt=e&hvrand=12372370907072798076&hvtargid=kwd-300568299507&hydadcr=28151_1821057&keywords=jst+xh+connector&qid=1605949032&sr=8-7&tag=googhydr-21
There's 101 ways of killing a cat :rock::rock:

I think the key thing is using the appropriate method for the situation - and we'll all have our favourites; a bit like the question of electrical track connections.

With a bit of luck we won't have confused our friend too much, even if we end up confusing ourselves :oops::oops::oops:

I'm just in the middle of doing some minor wiring for the car, so I've been busy soldering crimped tags :whew: as the water / damp issues are similar.

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
Yes Jimmy, you can really go overboard when you start using more sophisticated crimps, like most in the electronics industry, where you actually have 2 crimps per connector, one on the insulation and one on the wire.

I have about 6 crimping tools personally, and for the above mentioned crimps, you need a crimper to the EXACT size needed. To me the crimps look like a little "w". We have these at work (I run a small engineering company) and we buy the professional tools where the crimper usually exceeds $100.

But normally in this hobby, this kind of connector can be purchased with the wire already attached.

Greg

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Ahh, that's the "extra cost" option, used for autoreversing in DCC ! :D
Really cheap, actually..

When pointed out to the seller, they made and sent 100 pairs wired the exact opposite to those above. - No charge!

An excellent result, from where I was sitting. :):nod:

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
Yes Jimmy, you can really go overboard when you start using more sophisticated crimps, like most in the electronics industry, where you actually have 2 crimps per connector, one on the insulation and one on the wire.

I have about 6 crimping tools personally, and for the above mentioned crimps, you need a crimper to the EXACT size needed. To me the crimps look like a little "w". We have these at work (I run a small engineering company) and we buy the professional tools where the crimper usually exceeds $100.

But normally in this hobby, this kind of connector can be purchased with the wire already attached.

Greg
Greg, as said earlier I use the crimps for loco work (with JST-XH connectors) and solder for track work, and again you are quite correct about prices, I paid around £20.00 for my crimps which is cheap, but they do work, looking at what "seems" like similar crimps from a professional organization - £400.00

Shunter46

Registered
3 Apr 2019
West Midlands United Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
Hello all
I posted the first question on crimp or solder. The reply’s have certainly provided a wealth of opinions and knowledge. Thanks to everyone who took the time to answer my question.
Don