To change or not to change? (gauge)

Otter 1

Registered
7 Nov 2009
Best answers
If cost is an issue, get Code 250 steel track. Looks much better, than overseized Code 332

9561Engel.jpg

In Germany, it is 14 Euro / Meter (miha-modell) while the cheapest Code 332 brass rail I have seen recently was 17 Euro / Meter (Train Line 45)
If you don´t need electricity through the rails, you can even use aluminium track.

Don´t know about the 32mm prices. We nail down Tenmille Code 215 Nickel Silver or Hegob Code 200 nickel plated brass to lasercut wooden sleeper trackbed for our 1 : 22,5 scale 750mm (30 inch) prototypes.

Have Fun

Juergen / Otter 1

hagen

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Kongsberg, Norway
Best answers
Otter 1 said:
In Germany, it is 14 Euro / Meter (miha-modell) while the cheapest Code 332 brass rail I have seen recently was 17 Euro / Meter (Train Line 45)
If you don´t need electricity through the rails, you can even use aluminium track.

Don´t know about the 32mm prices. We nail down Tenmille Code 215 Nickel Silver or Hegob Code 200 nickel plated brass to lasercut wooden sleeper trackbed for our 1 : 22,5 scale 750mm (30 inch) prototypes.

Have Fun

Juergen / Otter 1
I shop regularly with Miha and have looked at the Hegob track as well, but never bought any. Perhaps it's time :)

Otter 1

Registered
7 Nov 2009
Best answers
One advantage with the miha-modell Code 250 steel profile is, you can get different trackbed for it, depending on scale or style of your prototype.

7799Schwellen.jpg

Top row: ties made by Heyn model, bottom row: Llagas Creek 1 /29 or 1 : 32 , miha standard, Llagas Creek 1 : 20.

When I tore up my old garden railroad two years ago, I only kept the miha-modell and the Peco 45mm track, but sold the LGB brass. I was amazed to get 10 - 12 Euro per Meter via Ebay for 20 year old track.

Have Fun

Juergen / Otter 1

hagen

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Kongsberg, Norway
Best answers
The Miha stainless is about half the price of Llagas!
Now that's something to investigate indeed.
May never buy any rail from Hegob though, their webshop is horrible and they do not even have an online pdf-catalogue

Found some links on the bottom of the page that listed rails and prices. Never did see that before. (and it should appear on the left side menu to follow any logic)

D J Mason

Registered
31 Oct 2009
Essex
Best answers
Hi

Steel code 250 rail available from Cliff Barker

Perhaps if enough people contact him he might make sleepers (ties) and point kits G scale as per his G1 and G3 range.

Any one with deep pockets to fund tooling cost?

The resulting cost should be substantially lower than brass and if the commodity market is anything to go by, will only get more expensive!

Live steam and steel rail go well together

Regards dj

Otter 1

Registered
7 Nov 2009
Best answers
Not only live steam and Code 250 steel rail go together. It works for track power and battery / RC as well:

Toytrainzug11-1.jpg

8695IPLoco.jpg

Why should Mr. Barker invest in tooling for ties, if there are many diferent types available on the market already? Most makers are working together worldwide.

Miha model offers different turnout kits with Llagas Creek Nickel Silver blades and frogs, plus his own steel rail and ties to choose from. http://www.miha-modell.com/Bauanleitungen/Switch building.pdf < Link To Instructions

Can´t say anything about Hegob´s homepage. The past some years I used the telephone, when I had questions.

Have Fun

Juergne / Otter 1