To change or not to change? (gauge)

pthomson12

Registered
6 Sep 2010
Best answers
Hi

I know this is an issue for many but I am currently running a 45mm temporary (ie on the lawn) railway with live steam (accucraft/RH)and am ready for expansion into a permenant layout hopefully. I am trying to decide whether to simply keep on with 45mm as I started with LGB or switch to the comparatively cheaper 32mm?

any comments welcome, thanks

Pete

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Are your thoughts on changing due to the cost of LGB track?

Maybe you could look at alternative manufacturers of code 332 track. Nearly all is compatible with LGB....

MRail

16mm etc - Live steam, battery & trams
26 Oct 2009
Merseyside, U.K.
youtube.com.user.MadogMersey
Best answers
Country flag
Thoughts from a 16miller on 32mm gauge...

If you want use track power and proprietary stock - then it's really down to G 45.
If you are OK at scratch or kit building and want live steam or on board battery power then choose the one true gauge - 32mm!
Proprietary stock is gradually becoming available for 32mm, but usually as secondary option to 45mm.

Reservations... Accucraft steam locos are a little wide on 32mm, but do work OK.

MRail

26 Oct 2009
Merseyside, U.K.
Best answers
Country flag
Forgot to add my Wrekin on 32mm dwarfing IP Eng small coaches.
74daad0dce1044788b87e79bc1ee1322.jpg

Had to take off the centre flanges for 2'6" radius curves & points.

pthomson12

Registered
6 Sep 2010
Best answers
My main reservation about 45mm is as said the cost of the track, even the cheapest I can find (AMS) is almost 2x the price of Peco. That said, code 332 seems very robust and probably worth the money. Also accucraft engines and even roundhouse appear overscale so perhaps I will simply invest in more 45mil. I do like the look at of 32mm but practicalities dictate otherwise!:-

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
You can get Peco 45mm track.

yb281

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
A wider gauge of track is always going to be easier for reliable running than a narrower one. As you say, most commercial 45mm track is VERY robust and while it sometimes may look a bit on the chunky side, the upside is that you may well find that it is much easier to get reliable running in the long term.

stockers

24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Thats one of the big reasons I love G Mel. Given a decent track bed trains just dont derail. The plants and the cat get them sometimes though!

pthomson12

Registered
6 Sep 2010
Best answers
I know about the peco, but the different railheight requires reasonably expensive code 250-332 joiners which all but negate the price advantage on AMS, which I will probably buy in 4ft set radius. My railway will be manually driven so now considering all the factors I am more inclined to 45mm for robust, reliable running with no expensive accidents!:banghead:

Thanks
Pete

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
MRail said:
.................... then choose the one true gauge - 32mm!

On the other hand, choose the other true gauge - 45mm! Throw all the British & Euro stuff away and come over to the dark side of the US 3 footers :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Whatever you do Pete, just enjoy the trains going round :clap::clap::clap:

f269532fa0d04b2c8ae3e286a817fad3.jpg

daveyb

badger tickling, sheep worrying
25 Oct 2009
nr st andews scotch land
Best answers
Country flag
i agree,,, 3 ft way to go,, or 7/8 scale and make your own,,,,

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
daveyb said:
i agree,,, 3 ft way to go,,

Careful, we could start another riot :happy::happy::happy:

:holdon:

stockers

24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Its OK, the 'Met' are not moderating and our radios work.

New Haven Neil

trains bikes camping kayaking red wine.....more tr
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Mmm, 3 foot gauge.... doesn't have to be US practice.....:D
646136b8e3054844bf67ad3f346bfc69.jpg

MRail

26 Oct 2009
Merseyside, U.K.
Best answers
Country flag
pthomson12 said:
the different rail height requires reasonably expensive code 250-332 joiners which all but negate the price advantage on AMS,

I'm not totally partisan...
I do run a 45mm tramline past my 32mm station etc.
Peco-LGB can be joined with a cut - jnr hacksaw - at the base of the larger rail which will then accommodate a Peco fishplate (joiner) keeping the rail heads level.

Dtsteam

G Scale, Travel, Steam Boats, Mechanical Music
24 Oct 2009
Preston
Best answers
Country flag
It all depends on what you want. leaving aside the cost of track, if britsh 2' narrow gauge really rings your bell, then 32mm is the way to go. For the richer worlds of 3',Metre, or 3'6" gauges (or even standard gauge) then go 45mm. As far as track is concerned, I have a mix of LGB Tenmille & Aristo, and I have to say that the LGB sectional track has fared very well - most of it has been relayed six or seven times and is at least 25 years old.

The trade-off with track is dead simple in my view - if its going down once and staying down, then any flex system will do. If the railway is likely to move or chnage a lot, then consider investing ina heavier duty sectional system.

hagen

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Kongsberg, Norway
Best answers
Just to add something I found.
I do a fair mix of track from Peco (both 45mm versions), Micromark code250 and LGB/Aristo
Micromark has a very good range of adapters between codes, and they do work for all from Märklin to LGB. Also the adapters are plastic so easy to do som e modifications to if that should be called for.
Just something I recently discovered :)

Bredebahn

Cinema, Garden Railway, Private Flying (licenced p
25 Oct 2009
A field near Rye, in beautiful East Sussex.
Best answers
Dtsteam said:
It all depends on what you want. leaving aside the cost of track, if britsh 2' narrow gauge really rings your bell, then 32mm is the way to go. For the richer worlds of 3',Metre, or 3'6" gauges (or even standard gauge) then go 45mm. As far as track is concerned, I have a mix of LGB Tenmille & Aristo, and I have to say that the LGB sectional track has fared very well - most of it has been relayed six or seven times and is at least 25 years old.

The trade-off with track is dead simple in my view - if its going down once and staying down, then any flex system will do. If the railway is likely to move or chnage a lot, then consider investing ina heavier duty sectional system.

I agree totally. It's not the cost of track that is the real issue as you only buy it once. True other costs may be relevant as they are likely to differ more than any cost savings on rail - but what really matters is what you want to model, and how close you want to get to the prototype. I've always had an affection for the Welsh Narrow Gauge, but I also have a love for the Swiss metre gauge and have invested heavily in that - the two do not sit happily together. WNG looks much better on 32mm in my book and SMG is right on 45mm.

You pays your money and you makes your choice - but not on track cost grounds I would suggest.

Doug

Live Steam, scratch building
24 Oct 2009
West Herts
Best answers
Country flag
Some locos will only run on 32mm track, eg Finescale Hunslets, some will only run on 45mm, eg Accucraft Caledonia. More locos will run on 45 than 32 so you may need to make your choice on what locos you want to run. If you want to scratch build then there are alot of motor blocks ready-to-run for 45mm gauge, but none for 32. For 32 you will need to build your own or assemble a kit.

As most have said the cost isn't really the issue, its more what you want to run. I personally see my railway as a light railway, so an approximately 3' gauge is what suits.

A

Alec K

The East Cornwall Minerals Railway, connecting Kelly Bray-Luckett-Gunnislake-Calstock Quays, survived as a 3' 6" steam-hauled line until around 1906, when Col Stephens regauged most of it as the standard gauge Bere Alston-Callington branch of the PDSWJR. The 3' 6" gauge sidings were uncovered in recent years on the ore quay at Calstock during building operations and their course is marked out - to gauge- on the car park there. The narrow gauge engine shed and water tower at the old Butts Depot, at the head of the incline down the Quays, survive in excellent condition in the yard of what certainly used to be Worth's Removals (PL18 9SD for those with a mind to Google Earth the site).

The ECMR would make a fine subject for 3'6" gauge modelling in the garden - it used a pair of Neilson 0-4-0 locos with ogee tanks and open cabs, one of which was regauged by Col Stephens for use on one of his other lines and named Hesperus. Without consulting the odd book, I could have got the name wrong, but didn't Col Stephens name a lot of engines Hesperus ?!

Alec K